November 27, 2014, 06:48:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News: Arturia's webmaster is glad to offer you these brand new forums ! Have fun using it and feel free to email any encountered problem at webmaster@arturia.com.

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: jupiter 8v2 beta....  (Read 9864 times)

TheJustAbout

• Apprentice
Re: jupiter 8v2 beta....
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 01:10:19 am »
Found another strange issue.  Loaded the AU in Logic, went to the Bass Patch called JMB_Bass01.  Drew in a 16th note at D 2 and 4.  Then by mistake I drew a half note at D1  whilst play was running.  When I did this, the AU's audio engine bombs out and I get this high pitch noise. If I pause, remove the note and press play again the problem goes away...

onewave

• Apprentice
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:06 am »
AU loaded in Logic 9.1 OSX 10.5.8, no issues to report other than a design question. My question is why are soft synths prone to popping, or clicking? I have noticed that most VI's have a tendency to a faint pop/click when triggered or re-triggered on occasion.

I know that some people actually like the sound, but to a seasoned musician the pops / clicks are very annoying and unmusical. I do appreciate that with some attention to detail the pops can be tamed by ramping the attack envelopes a bit. Still the triggering of new notes can bring it about.

It seems to me if Arturia is to recreate a classic sound of analog synthesizers they could pay very close attention to this tendency and create very smooth attacks very quickly, thereby making the pops very difficult to occur. Perhaps I am just being a audio snob, but I find pops and clicks very annoying, and this is not aimed at just this Jupiter 8 V2, but all soft synths I have played.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:03:01 am by onewave »

jauqq

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »
My question is why are soft synths prone to popping, or clicking? I have noticed that most VI's have a tendency to a faint pop/click when triggered or re-triggered on occasion.

I get this too with V1 and V2 of the Jupiter. Fast sixteenth note patterns, and clicks and pops. Its not a cpu thing either, as i've tried on the highest buffer setting, and even freezing the track. Even on the off-line render there's still these pops.
I've noticed the JP is the worst out of all my softs with this problem.
Is it something to do with the osc free running implementation? From the Sound on Sound review:
"However, I really dislike how Arturia have implemented their so-called 'free running oscillators'. Every time you hit a note, their phases are initialised randomly. This is irrelevant when using one oscillator, but results in different tones when you use both oscillators in unison, or when sync is on. Indeed, if sawtooth waves are initialised 180 degrees out of phase, the fundamental is eliminated and the note sounds an octave higher than it should. If two sine waves are selected, the note can disappear entirely! Furthermore, once the relative phases are calculated, they don't drift, so you obtain static sounds with different tones as you press successive notes: horrid"

Is this the cause of the pops and clicks?

DBS

• Apprentice
    • Electro Funk Band - Dynamik Bass System
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:14 am »
Strange behaviour with the LFO. On a pad sound i created in V1 the LFO slider should have a value of 3.49Hz. When i select the patch in Logic with the new beta, the LFO slider jumps to a value of 4.49Hz. So i reset the slider back to 3.49hz, re-save the patch, and the Logic song.
When i re-open the song, the LFO slider has jumped back to 4.49 Hz !!!!
I close Logic, and open the stand-alone. Select the same patch, and yet again the LFO is at 4.49Hz. So i reset it back to 3.49Hz, re-save the patch yet again. Close the stand-alone and re-open, and select the patch...
Guess what??   Thats right the LFO has jumped back up again. It has a mind of it's own.

Many of my patches don't "sound right"..... the LFO seems to be, and probably is for some reason at a higher Hz range, than for patches created in V1.

The same here.

I have also problems with the PWM of the VCO MODULATOR. Values are stored but the fader position is not displayed properly.
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, OS 10.7.x, Logic Pro 9.x, Studio One 2.x, MOTU 828 Mk3, MOTU 828 Mk2

Electro Music Dynamik Bass System
DBS@MySpace

jauqq

• Apprentice
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 11:42:17 am »

I have also problems with the PWM of the VCO MODULATOR. Values are stored but the fader position is not displayed properly.

The slider for envelope modulation of the VCO's does not display the correct value. Check out factory preset 28 from the JP8 original factory bank. The Env slider should have a value to show that env 1 is effecting the pitch of the VCO's. Hence that slight bend of the VCO at the start....
Slider shows ZERO !!!!

DBS

• Apprentice
    • Electro Funk Band - Dynamik Bass System
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 12:35:41 pm »

The slider for envelope modulation of the VCO's does not display the correct value. Check out factory preset 28 from the JP8 original factory bank. The Env slider should have a value to show that env 1 is effecting the pitch of the VCO's. Hence that slight bend of the VCO at the start....
Slider shows ZERO !!!!

I send out bug reports
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, OS 10.7.x, Logic Pro 9.x, Studio One 2.x, MOTU 828 Mk3, MOTU 828 Mk2

Electro Music Dynamik Bass System
DBS@MySpace

ViktorW

• Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
I'm personally very happy about the volume increase! I also like the other improvements so far.

Other than that, it's a bit of an underwhelming 2.0 update.
I'll put this in a bug report as well, but I want to mention it here, and see if others notice this too:

1. As in V1, you sometimes hear little clicks when you play legato lines on certain patches.

2. In V1, it was possible to shift-click on a knob or fader to fine-tune its value. This doesn't seem to work anymore in the new V2. Please bring that back, dear Arturia people!

3. I like my synths raw, so I always turn off the FX. As in V1, the FX section is still too many mouse-clicks away to be able to do that conveniently. Please think about putting some kind of "Patch-FX On/Off" switch, or better, simply the FX controls, on the main surface. But, at least an FX On/Off switch.

4. I'm not at all a fan of the GUI getting bigger when trying to access the extra features. Maybe it's possible to open that extra window where the keyboard graphics is? There's no unnecessary animation and it goes quicker.

Cheers,

Viktor

jauqq

• Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »

3. I like my synths raw, so I always turn off the FX. As in V1, the FX section is still too many mouse-clicks away to be able to do that conveniently. Please think about putting some kind of "Patch-FX On/Off" switch, or better, simply the FX controls, on the main surface. But, at least an FX On/Off switch.

+1
Definitely an excellent suggestion!! FX On/Off switch would be so much better

ViktorW

• Apprentice
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »
... I also like the other improvements so far.

Other than that, it's a bit of an underwhelming 2.0 update.

BTW,
sorry , didn't mean to be ungrateful, I know it's a free update, and getting a few new features for free is definitely a good thing! But if you call it 2.0, it just sounds like your promising more, that's all.
I love the new Sound Map feature a lot! It's just the coolest thing!

Viktor
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:13:51 pm by ViktorW »

TheJustAbout

• Apprentice
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »
Should we be using the "Submit Bug" button for any issues we find?  Or are the Arturia guys checking this post regularly ?

Antoine

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 04:30:29 pm »
@TheJustAbout
Yep, you should use the Beta test email address, AND we are checking this thread regularly (at least Thomas and myself).
ex-Arturian

terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: jupiter 8v2 beta..gui bug
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »
Terry
aka Logicaldream

Thomas@Arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 03:04:01 pm »
This bug has been fixed in the Release Candidate, available soon.

snap

• Apprentice
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »
What's happened the GUI resize feature mentioned here?
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=3028.msg10697#msg10697
"Rumors from the Developers Dungeon
Yesterday evening I saw (yep, with my own two eyes) a resizable Jupiter-8V on a developer computer; still unpolished, but serviceable.
Things move forward..."

As im getting older my eyes are going and im having to squint more... im sure im not the only one  ;)

Can we have resizeable GUI's please?.... please?  :)
+ 1
... as a matter of fact I would like to see more of Arturia`s Instruments with resizeable GUI`s.

Thanks

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
Jupiter-8V 2.5 Beta2
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:01 pm »
Will there be a third beta?
Since I had the second beta installed and discovered that the SOUND MAP was empty, I have nothing but issues with my Jupiter-8V 2.

I've already transmitted the issues I had, with a request, on how to go back to one of the previous versions that where running much better (at least the SOUND MAP wasn't empty  ;))

Trying to reinstall the beta 1 was causing system crashes with bluescreens.  :(
Trying to reinstall the latest release version was at least possible but if used in standalone mode it is impossible to close the application without getting an error message.  >:(

So, I hope that there will be a beta 3, that is able to fix this!  ???

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines