April 16, 2024, 10:08:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Early review of MMV  (Read 2767 times)

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
Early review of MMV
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:37 am »
Copied below is an early review of the MMV1.1 version. I was interested to note the differences (points 1-3) compared with an original Mg and wondered if these have been tackled in the subsequent updates V2(2.5) versions. Sorry if this is a bit out of date but was interested to read a critical review by an original Mg user.

1. MMV oscillators start from same phase point (restarts when key is retriggered
2. Wide open filter does not emulate the original in terms of hihg harmonic content exibiting air & whisper important in long sweeps
3. Mg V oscillators track (do not drift)

HEARING IS BELIEVING
By Mike Peake

As a long-time owner of an original set of Mg modules, I was interested to hear a side-by-side comparison of Arturia's Mg Modular V to the real thing. Mg Modular V makes a decent attempt at re-creating the raw tone of the hardware instrument, but it exhibits some major differences.

To begin with, the 921b oscillators in Mg Modular V sound as though they always start from the same phase point. To hear this, slightly detune two oscillators and re-strike the same bass note while listening to the sawtooth outputs. Unless there is a free-run function in Mg Modular V that I'm not aware of, the oscillator phase definitely restarts upon each key-strike, which produces a 100 percent predictable detuning character on each note. The original Mg oscillators don't do this.

With the filter wide open, Mg Modular V oscillators exhibit a slightly nasal and forward midrange and a bit more upper-mid bass. The Mg oscillators are sweeter-sounding, with the expected very high harmonic content providing “air” and whisper, which is important in long filter sweeps.

Mg Modular V's oscillators track. The Mg's don't. Mg Modular V's oscillators don't drift. The Mg's do.

The original Mg filter also sounds sweeter than the Mg Modular V filter near and in self-oscillation. When it self-oscillates, the Mg Modular V filter whistles too strongly at low frequencies and doesn't blend with the oscillators. Instead, it sounds like a separately mixed sine wave. Also, the real Mg filter drifts, which became obvious when I created the same sound on both instruments simultaneously.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines