April 25, 2024, 11:48:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ModularV 2.5 24dB lowpass filter doesn't open completely  (Read 4448 times)

danielrast

ModularV 2.5 24dB lowpass filter doesn't open completely
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »
Finally i found out why ModularV 2.5 sounds different to 2.2, the 24dB lowpass filter doesn't open completely. I compared the same soundpatch with no filter, 24dB lowpass filter and with the 12dB lowpass filter. The 12dB lowpass sounds right to me.

I upload this example at soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/danielrast/arturia-modularv-2-5-filterexample-1

Using ModularV 2.5 and Logic 8.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:58:36 pm by danielrast »

danielrast

Re: ModularV 2.5 24dB lowpass filter doesn't open completely
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:04 pm »
Does it nobody interest? At least someone at Arturia? :-)

Meanwhile i switched back to 2.2, after getting additionally a kind of unwanted distortion/clipping in sound. Never had this problems in 2.2...

The sound example above contains three instances of modular v 2.5. After a while i've got heavy clipping, the logic cpu usage is in deep red, and the 24dB doesn't work right.

I opened the same patch with 2.2, i've got no clipping, the cpu usage is allright and the 24dB filter works fine... :-)

cheers
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:44:29 pm by danielrast »

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »
Does it nobody interest? At least someone at Arturia? :-)

You may well ask.

Thanks for putting some effort into finding out what's happening and taking the time to let the rest of us know.

From reading posts on other forums it seems many people have taken the same decision as you and gone back to the earlier version. I've done that as well with the MMV and the CS80V.

The net result is that most of us are unable to comment on topics in this forum because we're not using the versions of the software that people are asking about. I used to be very active here and tried to be helpful if I could, but that's now no longer possible.

Much as I love the Arturia instruments I have, I find recent Arturia decisions baffling. The MiniMgV enhancements were excellent, well thought out and very useful. But the recent versions of the MMV and CS80V seem to make no sense to anybody, and as well as the baffling sound changes there are totally ridiculous decisions like the removal of the `save' and `save as' labels from the switches they apply to. I think I recall the same with the export and import tabs in the CS80V, but I only loaded it once so I'm not sure. But a decision like the one with the MMV is sheer madness.

I was also rather surprised at the winners of the recent Ten Year Competition, but given the very strange decisions being made with the software I suppose I shouldn't be. Sound judgment seems to have fled.

Hopefully it's a temporary abberation and Arturia will return to its former glory. In the meantime the rest of us out here will continue to use the old, excellent versions of our software, as I do and as you're now doing as well. I'd be very sorry to see Arturia go out of business, and I really do hope things improve again.

Antoine

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
All users comments are taken in consideration, even if not (immediately) implemented.

I'd be very sorry to see Arturia go out of business
Be reassured, it's not in our planning!  :D

and I really do hope things improve again.
No doubt on this.
ex-Arturian

Phil999

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »
indeed the 2.5 filter opens slightly less than the 2.2 filter. This can clearly heard with a pure white noise to the VCF and sweep the cutoff.

There is definitely a difference. Could it be that the 2.5 filter uses a higher internal resolution, resulting in a smoother, cleaner sound? And the 2.2 filter sounds more gritty, grainy, dirty, because there are more distortions/aliasings?

EDIT: I've done another comparison today, rendering each version to an audio file. Same preset, same MIDI notes. Version 2.2 sounds clearly better and fuller to my ears. Earlier tests came to the same result, and I tried to find a reason why the VCF improvement in 2.5 sounds like the contrary. So . . . until there are audible improvements, I stick to version 2.2.

EDIT2: there was an error in my comparison test, probably also in my earlier tests. The presets I used were not identical. With my (hopefully) last test I created a new preset in 2.2 with lots of VCO's and an envelope modulated VCF, exported it and (after changing the OS) imported in 2.5. Now the rendered audio sounded quite similar, the 2.5 version with more lower frequencies.

Sorry about the confusion. So I think it is save to install 2.5 and use this version from now on. Took me a while to find this out, I probably was the slowest one of all. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:22:10 am by Phil999 »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines