April 19, 2024, 11:12:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 2.5 Update Stops Cubase 5 64 Functionality  (Read 10533 times)

Undercoverman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
2.5 Update Stops Cubase 5 64 Functionality
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »
After installing the update up to 2.5, Mg Modular V is no longer visible as a VST in Cubase 5 64-Bit. The EFX VST is visible and usable, but the instrument itself is not.

It's not that it loads but doesn't work, it isn't even recognised.

CS80V2 runs perfectly fine.

So now the list of Arturia synths that don't work in Cubase 64 is up to 2 - Jupiter 8V and MMV2.5. Not good, guys.

grz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 2.5 Update Stops Cubase 5 64 Functionality
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
Hi,

as a workaround, you can set up an audio track and insert the MMV FX there. Then route a MIDI track to this insert.

Voilą, a working MMV!  :o

A bit unconvenient, but working at least...

Why the VSTi gets on Cubase' blacklist and the FX does not, is beyond me. ::) (Of course none shoud get blacklisted in the first place)

@Arturia: is there any communication with Steinberg or investigation in work regarding this?

Chris

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:08:14 am »
Hello grz,

Is the regular version appearing in the "Plug-In Information" window ?
What is your platform please ? Windows or Mac OS X ?
Robert
Arturia team

grz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:30:58 am »
Hello grz,

Is the regular version appearing in the "Plug-In Information" window ?
What is your platform please ? Windows or Mac OS X ?

Hi Robert,

no, only the FX appears there. The regular one is listed in Cubase' Vst2xBlacklist.xml.

I'm running Cubase 5.01 64bit under Win7 64bit RTM (build 7100).

Chris

dirk.stalmans@skynet.be

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:34:10 am »
Hi,
Set-up:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Cubase 5.1.1 64bit
MMV 2.5
Problem that the MMV plugin is listed as an FX and not an instrument is not solved after
2 months, it makes me wondering about the quality and reponse times of Arturia. The work-a-round via inserts is ok for short term but it should have been fixed by now.
I'm also waiting for the Origin Update.
Please Arturia give me the quality I can expect for the money I paid.
Rgds,
Dirk

Phil999

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:33 am »
I only use Cubase 5 32-bit, so I'm only guessing.

The MMV is a 32-bit application, and perhaps the 2.5 update is no longer working (as an instrument, but strangely still working as an FX) with the 32-to-64 bridge in Cubase.

I believe it is better and more reliable to use Cubase 32-bit, until the day every single plugin is true 64-bit. This will be the case in 10 years or so. I don't think it is a disadvantage in sound or performance to use a 32-bit Cubase.

BigBang

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:27 am »
Hi all!

I have the same problem on Windows 7 64 bit.
I installed Cubase 5 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
In Cubase 5 32 bit the Mogg Modular V 2.5 is listed and usable, in Cubase 5 64 bit it's not...
Strange...
Some Arturia comments on this? Has anybody the Mg Modular 2.5 running on Cubase 5 64 bit???
Thanks for replying and greets
Alex

Antoine

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
For the very moment, all our synthesizers are 32-bit only, certified to run inside 32-bit hosts, on top of 32-bit OSes. We have started heavy works to toggle all our synth line to 64-bit versions, but this will take long time before stable versions to be released.

So at this time, they may work in full 64-bit environments, or not work, depending on the hosts "bridges". The Logic one seems sympathetic (the plug-in validation must be done in forced 32-bit mode), and the Cubase one is more reluctant.

I fully agree with Phil999's statement: using a full 64-bit system still is an experiment, even these days, and should be avoided in production.
ex-Arturian

OpenMind

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »
I fully agree with Phil999's statement: using a full 64-bit system still is an experiment, even these days, and should be avoided in production.
I would agree when today was 2008 or 2009... But technology development goes on and now there are already some VSTi that are happy with some extra GB of RAM, likeTrilian and BFD2.
32-bit 4GB-adressing RAM has become oldfashioned and is only enough for 1 or 2 modern audio applications.

I think the experimental time for 64-bit Windows is over now. Developers had a few years of XP-64 and Vista-64 to study. Any VST-developer that is just starting to rebuild their software and tells us that it's going to take a long time, is simply too late... They should be almost ready for Windows 7 64-bit now... I think.
All Arturia synths , BRASS, Windows XP 32-bit & Windows 7 64-bit

Phil999

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:06 am »
I think there is also some kind of misconception about 64 bit computing. Many people think 64 bit is faster or better. This is not the case.

You can always run the 32-bit version of Cubase in a 64-bit OS. You have the advantage of full RAM access, and can use all plugins without restrictions.

You can also install the 64-bit version of Cubase, and compare those plugins which have a 64-bit version. Does it sound better, or do you have less CPU usage in 64 bit? No.

There are many professional applications that run in 32 bit, be it in graphics or in music. This will remain like this, it works very well. When you go to studios you will see 32-bit systems that run perfectly reliable and stable. On the consumer market 64 bit does spread more and more, but honestly without much or with no real advantage to the customer. It merely satisfies the wish to have the best and the latest. It's sometimes difficult to tell what is advertising and what is a real technological advancement. To compare systems oneself seems to be the best thing to do, to run those applications one wants to use on 32 and 64 bit with the hardware one has, make multiboot systems, etc.

Undercoverman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 01:11:08 am »
I have to mention that I've been using the jBridge software, which I paid for, for the past few months or so and have had almost complete success with the Arturia synths in a 64 bit environment. I say almost complete success, because the most recent update of jBridge has forced me to run Prophet V in a separate window (you'll understand if you use jBridge), along with JP8V, which always had to be run this way. They're completely functional, though. So it's not all bad and the sound is always the most important aspect.

Steinberg have mentioned in the press relating to their Cubase 5.5 update that the VSTBridge is going to be expanded in functionality, claiming that most VST 2.4 32-Bit plugins should run with the bridge - see here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubase55_preview.html

I feel that Steinberg really dropped the ball with the VSTBridge in Cubase 5, and the outcry on their forums would seem to suggest I'm by no means alone. I'm glad they're going to address, but the press for Cubase 5 regarding the VSTBridge was optimistic to say the least. It also must be of embarassment to them that an amateur outfit like the guys working on jBridge (which I suspect may be one guy working alone!) can produce better results than their dev team.

Phil999

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:40:17 pm »
I agree. In my opinion, Steinberg should have dropped the 64-bit version of Cubase entirely. Nobody in the professional area uses it, and in the semiprofessional area it only spreads confusion.

Was seems really important is the VST3 standard. It's a real advantage to have plugins that do not use CPU resources when they are idle, and that have real side-chain functionality.

BigBang

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:26 pm »
Well, I use it and I definitely need 64 bit!
And I can't imagine, that I'm the only professional who uses it or to whom 64 bit would be a great advantage, at least to those, who use sample libraries so as I do.
Using 32bit Cubase in a 64bit environment brought me some small benefits according to adress more RAM which will give me the possibilkity to use more Samples, but it's still limited: to 4GB.
Using Cubase 64 bit the adress space for RAM is more than enough ;-)
At the moment, I am still on Cubase 32bit, but only due to the fact, that nost plugins are still 32 bit - if they were 64 bit, I would jump to Cubase64bit immediately.

Greets
BigBang

AlakaLazlo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:18 pm »
I'm also using W7/64 and need it for several reasons.  I run Cubase 5.1.1.
I've updated many many VSTis from numerous companies, NI, Spectrasonics, Lynnplug... But ever since I installed MMV2.5, I've been getting BSODs when I open it either as a stand alone or in Cubase. 
I wrote to tech support in early March and they requested more info which I sent that night.  Then... crickets... nada... zip.  Wrote again a few weeks later asking for a response... Zip... nada... no response...
So I opened a NEW tech syupport request ....
You guessed it.... nada... zip... zilch...
No response whatsoever.
I actually own an original Mg Modular from the late 60s, and I've been an outspoken advocate for MMV since it first came out.  I even wrote a bank of patches that Arturia still has on the site.
But now I'm done with this company's products.
This type of tech support - or more correctly the lack thereof - is totally unacceptable.
I don't know what happened here, but I'm done.

Phil999

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »
At the moment, I am still on Cubase 32bit, but only due to the fact, that nost plugins are still 32 bit - if they were 64 bit, I would jump to Cubase64bit immediately.

I would jump to 64bit as well if . . .

And while I don't have a machine with more than 4 GB RAM, Cubase32 is a good solution for now. But you are correct, for a big machine with more than 4 GB RAM, Cubase64 is an advantage. Still, one can open a project with both versions.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines