April 19, 2024, 06:33:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CS80v tech issues - need help  (Read 6799 times)

Jon Cope

CS80v tech issues - need help
« on: February 10, 2004, 10:40:31 am »
Apologies in advance - I posted this on the general messageboard, but thought I might get more response here:

My system is a Mac G4 867MHz running OSX 2.6 with ProTools LE and an MBox. I am using the CS80V 1.1 upgrade, full version. I am beginning to wonder whether the M-Box's USB connection isn't sufficient. Using CS80v standalone works OK - I've checked the CPU use when it's working standalone and even the most complex patches don't seem to use more than 33% of CPU power.

My problems are:

1) General instability when using CS80V as an RTAS plug-in in ProTools - the instrument is very slow to react generally, and certain actions (for example attempting to change the display so I see keyboard only and not controls, or just changing patches) cause Pro Tools and CS80V to crash 'unexpectedly' - well, I am expecting it now!

2) I can get the standalone version to react to a midi keyboard, but can't get any midi keyboard control when using as an RTAS plug-in

3) In Pro Tools, I can get the Pro Tools sequencer to play a midi sequence on the CS80V by assigning a midi track out to the CS80V, and placing the synth on an audio track as a plug in. BUT I cannot get audio from the CS80V to record onto a ProTools audio track. In play mode, I can see that audio is coming from the CS80V onto the assigned audio track, but this just stops happening when I try and do the same thing in record mode.

Does anyone have any advice? It's really frustrating, and at present, this 270 Euro synth is just not usable!

jollo

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 10:50:45 am »
Hi:

Here's what I can add:
General instability - The CS80V is fairly stable on my system; dual 2 Ghz with 2 Mb RAM OSX 10.3.1 and the Digi 002. I'm not saying it's 100% stable, because it does occasionally crash on me but it's mostly okay. How much RAM do you have and are you using the latest version of Pro Tools LE (6.2.2)?

I think the CS80V 1.1 version is for OS 10.3.1 or greater. This is from Arturia's download page "Support for Mac OS X Panther: this update works on Mac OS 10.3.1 or higher, AND NOT on Mac OS 10.3" You might want to drop Arturia Tech support an email and ask them if version 1.1 will run on OSX 10.2.6.

2 and 3:

Here's how I set up a virtual synth in Pro Tools: Add a midi track and leave it at default for now. Now add a stereo Aux track and add the CS80V as an insert on the Aux track. On the Aux track add a send to a stereo bus. Add a stereo audio track and set up the input to whatever bus you chose to use on the Aux track (1&2, 3&4, whatever). Go back to the midi track you added and set your midi source to All or your specific midi port. Set the midi destination to CS80V.

AFAIK you can't record with a virtual synth directly on an audio track, it has to be on an Aux track bussed to an audio track. I don't have a clue why it works this way but it's how Pro Tools works. It seems pretty convoluted. If you have trouble getting it to work I can send you a template file for Pro Tools.

Good luck,

Joe

INFECTEDGROOVES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 07:56:53 pm »
i am not trying to start conflict, but every time i see a mac in action it always crashes with pro tools. the m-box is not that great of a piece of equipment, imo and several friends that has that piece of equipment...

just voicing my opinion.

Jon Cope

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 09:41:43 am »
Mac is pretty stable in ProTools generally, but I have to say, I've not been overly impressed by the M-Box. I was warned against its USB connectivity and limited stereo tracks, but did I listen? No. Trying now to get rid and replace with something firewire from Mssrs MOTU.....

INFECTEDGROOVES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 09:47:39 pm »
^^ yea i am looking at the 002 rack. it would be nice to get the table top, but right now i have a limited work space for all my gear. i figured that i could get a mixing board and run it threw to the 002 rack and use it for a midi controller for the volumes and all. i hope this makes sense to you, i know it does to me.

good luck with your future projects though.

stajam-647

Mac Usability in Protools & Mbox
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 05:41:57 am »
This is to Jon,
I'm running CS80 as RTAS plug in pt's as well and can report the same difficulty, it's as if it's chokeing the machine. I'm running a Powerbook G4/1 Ghz with a Gig of Ram, Mbox-Pro Tools LE 6.2.2 and OSX 10.3.2, I have had limited success using, but it's constantly "Unexpectedly Qutting" and is basicaly unusable in protools.  Sigh....hope they get the bugs worked out of this thing...
Peace

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 12:37:31 pm »
Hey thanks man - you might have just saved me the £90 I was going to spend on OS X Panther cos if you're having the same probs with PT 10.2.2 and OSX 10.3 AND on a slightly faster machine, I ask myself what's the point?

Attempting to use the synth yesterday, my Mac crashed in a way I have never seen before, with a large semi-opaque rectangle appearing in the centre of the screen with the message 'You need to restart your computer' in a range of foreign languages!

IT IS A CRYING SHAME COS THE SYNTH SOUNDS SO GOOD. before it crashed.

another_guest

CS-80V crashes 1.0 (v1.1)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 05:14:02 pm »
I have an iBook G4 OSX 10.3.4. When I first installed and ran the program, it crashed immediately. When I run it again, it displays an audio dialog box. When I choose either Core Audio or M-Audio USB, it crashes.

At least you guys got to hear the freakin' thing! I've waited 5 weeks to get it from Arturia, numerous e-mails, finally get it and ...of course it doesn't work.

Any ideas??  Thanks.

John Cox - Keyboards, The Pink Floyd Experience

www.annerin.com/pink

JohnB

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 08:09:35 pm »
Geez.
i got the cs 80, installed, the v1.1
it works just about ok as a stand alone, but totally crashes logic pro (latest v) every time. im on a dual 2 gig g5, with a powercore, latest OS panther etc. everythign else is fine, but this cs80 is sucking. any ideas on how to fix? some1 told me you can type in some raw code in the terminal window that fixes it???

john b

jb@john-b.com

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines