March 19, 2024, 08:18:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can a Minibrute control a Microbrute via CV?  (Read 3659 times)

geebake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can a Minibrute control a Microbrute via CV?
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:38:39 am »
Forgive my ignorance. I'm really new to analog synths but have become very enthusiastic about them.

I recently acquired both a Minibrute and a Microbrute. I also have a few Mgs (Minitaur, Slim Phatty and a Sub Phatty). I'm fascinated by the concept of CV control.

I've had some success using CV control. I also have a MgerFooger CP 251 and have gotten it to do some interesting things with the Brutes. What I can't seem to figure out though is how to control one Brute from the other.

I assumed that I could connect the Gate Out from one to the Gate In on the other and then Connect Pitch Out to Pitch in similarly. This doesn't seem to work at all. I must be misunderstanding this process.

I totally realize that I can use a midi cable and avoid any of this. it's totally an academic effort.

I guess a bigger question is: Can anyone recommend a good place to learn about modular synths and connecting them? A good book perhaps?

Thanks!

Bert

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Can a Minibrute control a Microbrute via CV?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
Look at this video of Mark Doty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ij2os8i9w

geebake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:23 am »
Fantastic video. Wow did that teach me a lot. The duophony thing is just brilliant. That inspired me to try the same thing with my Sub Phatty and Minitaur. And it works! I would never have thought of that. What cool possibilities that opens up.

I am still baffled by one thing though - and I'm sure this is my misunderstanding.

I still want to send note data to the Micro from the mini via CV and I just can't make it work.

I also have a Keith McMillan QuNeo. If I send it's gate out to the Micros gate in and the cv 1 out from it to the Micro's pitch in (in the mod patch bay) I get notes!. I assumed that this would mean if I send gate out from the Mini to gate in on the micro and pitch out from the Mini to pitch in on the Micro, I would get the same. But I don't. I get nothing. The only thing I can think is that the pitch out of the Mini is sending something different than cv 1 out on the QuNeo. I don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

geebake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:41 am »
I think I found a clue to why this isn't working.

I busted out the good old multi meter. This is all just voltage, right?

The QuNeo is putting out 5 volts for gate - as expected. And it's putting out 2.0 volts for middle c. I would have expected 1 volt, but I can think of a few reasons that it could be off a volt.

The Mini is putting out a good 5 volts for gate. But pitch out sends nothing! No voltage at all.

So this got me thinking I should check the Micro.

It's gate out and pitch out send nothing at all. No wonder this isn't working!

Should I think I have bad Brutes or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Greg

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines