April 20, 2024, 04:24:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Original CD's... Really??  (Read 8093 times)

dbouch

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Original CD's... Really??
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:03:42 am »
i've just purchased and installed the V collection.  it's wonderful.  i originally owned a 2600 and a jupiter 8 back in the day.

I'm wondering about the requirement that i ocassionally insert the original cd for certain of the synths in order to continue using them at some point.  i have also installed the synths on my road/concert laptop. 

MY QUESTION:  does this mean that i have to travel with all the original cd's...just in case.. i'm required to insert one of them to get a synth to come up?  or does the dongle work for all the synths included in the V collection....not just the jp-8 and the prophet???

thanks in advance for your help

dbouch

mmyers

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Original CD's... Really??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:12 am »
I can't vouch for the newest version of the Modular because I refuse to have anything to do with the iLok-type key but yes you do have to carry the CD with you and insert it at various times, like when you want to import a patch bank.  It can be annoying as hell.  I wish that Arturia would go to an authorization process similar to Native Instruments to where you "authorize" your instrument directly from Arturia and then can use it without having to pop the CD in or put up with all the hassles of the USB plug.  Are you listening Arturia?

MMyers

Antoine

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:12:04 am »
Yep we are listening, but it doesn't mean tomorrow morning we will have changed once again our protection system on all our product line!
This is not a trivial equation, we made choices: with the upcoming ARP2600V 2.0, we are now eLicenser protected on all our synths. Choose Soft-eLicenser or USB-eLicenser at your best convenience, but please acknowledge that switching to a fresh new protection system is not planned at all.
ex-Arturian

OpenMind

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »
Korg already left the eLicenser system and introduced Challenge/Response to protect the legal user for the horrible changes that Steinberg planned for 2010 to include with the eLicenser system.

Would be great if Arturia would forget about their eLicenser invesmtment to protect their legal user for future troubles. A troublesome protection system might cost them more (losing sales).
All Arturia synths , BRASS, Windows XP 32-bit & Windows 7 64-bit

Ashe35

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:30 am »
Conversely, the time spent developing, implementing and troubleshooting their own copy protection system might be, you know, better spent actually working on the software.

UniQue Werkx

• UniQue Werkx
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:43 am »
@ OpenMind, What are the horrible changes coming to eLicense in 2010? Is there a link?
Christian
UniQue WerkX (electronic music) (ZT Affinity AMD Phenom II 1055T Six-Core Processor 2.8GHz | 12gb ram | 2 TB HD | Nvidia  GTS 450 superclocked | Focusrite Scarlett 18i/6 |  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium SP1, Cubase 6, Moog Modular V2.6)
http://www.synthmusician.com/members/138/

OpenMind

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:36:29 am »
@ OpenMind, What are the horrible changes coming to eLicense in 2010? Is there a link?

Some quotes from the Korg forum:

As some of you have said Syncrosoft's eLicenser copy protection section has been acquired by Steinberg and as some of you may not be aware, their system will be changing from next year. So, we have decided to change our copy protection method for the KORG Legacy Collection series from the USB dongle to the challenge/response code system we used previously for License Authorization.

This is to allow us to take back control of the licensing system for the software that up until now was reliant on the elicencing system.
We try to help users where we can and going by the amount of times I have had conversations with users who say the support from Steinberg is non existant... I personally am glad I dont need to have to go throught the elicensing process for myself and to assist other users now and, I dread hearing the stories of how much of a nightmare things are going to be from next year
Well from experience I get a lot of calls from users who through working things through with me, realise their issue is a Steinberg (say Cubase) issue. The biggest gripe is trying to get someone to answer the phone or even provide an answer for them and when they dont get a response, this brings back sad stories of dissapointed users letting me know they dont get the support from them that they think they deserve. After all they have paid money for a legit copy, why shouldn't they expect decent support?

I only heard rumours so far... like stories about having to refresh licenses every few months or so...

UniQue Werkx

• UniQue Werkx
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:14 pm »
Hmm... I've been using Cubase for SX 2 version (which uses eLicense/Syncrosoft) and haven't had any problems with Syncrosoft/eLicense. It was just updated and I still haven't have any problems with it. The Steinberg forums usually have pretty good support.

Maybe I should play the lottery or something? LOL
Christian
UniQue WerkX (electronic music) (ZT Affinity AMD Phenom II 1055T Six-Core Processor 2.8GHz | 12gb ram | 2 TB HD | Nvidia  GTS 450 superclocked | Focusrite Scarlett 18i/6 |  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium SP1, Cubase 6, Moog Modular V2.6)

OpenMind

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:23 pm »
The Steinberg forums usually have pretty good support.
ROFL... there are two possibilaties... Either you never really needed their support OR you are working for Steinberg.  ;D

There are no official Steinberg support forums..... there are only forums that are controlled and moderated by Steinberg. Their representatives will always point to their official support tickets because they don't want you to talk in public when they know their software is the problem.

And then... When you really need support (something that's not in the manual), they'll try to make you believe that your computer is the problem.... even when they already know that they are telling you lies.

In the past few years Steinberg support is considered bad by many many people all over the world, including 20+ year customers. They don't listen to their users unless the user is considered a big name in music industry. They leave important bugs unfixed, even when a lot of people reported them. And last but not least... They ban people from their forums when they keep complaining about the bugs, or when people publicly speak out about the unfair mods.

UniQue Werkx

• UniQue Werkx
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:47:38 pm »
I don't work for Steinberg and the forums are http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/
 It's the official Steinberg Cubase forum and I have had no issues with the forum. I've found it to be very useful. Since Steinberg says on their web site Steinberg Forums, that must mean it's their official Steinberg forums. http://www.steinberg.net/en/community.html   Look at the bottom where the link says go to Steinberg forums.

Are you aggravated that someone speaks in positive manor of them? I'm sure there are people who have bad experiences with every company. I'm just saying that I haven't had any problems with eLicense. I've been frustrated with Cubase at times but same with MMV 2.5. For me MMV 2.5 isn't useful because of the bugs but it is for others. I have to use 2.2. On my system 2.5 spits & sputters as it takes up both cores of the processor to use it.

As for people being banned, there are pretty much nothing but whiners for this feature and that feature all the time and they've been nothing but whiners for years. They also down Steinberg if they don't get what they want and they're still there.... but they are paying customers. LOL Maybe things have changed there?

If Steinberg is considered bad by so many, many people then why are they still around after 20 years? And why do they have so many Cubase users? Because more people like their products then hate them.....has to be for them to stay in business. I'm not saying it's the perfect company because they all have their faults since people run them. It seems like your opinion of them is little bit exaggerated.
Christian

OpenMind

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:16:46 am »
Since Steinberg says on their web site Steinberg Forums, that must mean it's their official Steinberg forums.
I wont deny that... but before you said SUPPORT forum, and that's NOT what it is.

As for people being banned, there are pretty much nothing but whiners for this feature and that feature all the time and they've been nothing but whiners for years. They also down Steinberg if they don't get what they want and they're still there.... but they are paying customers. LOL Maybe things have changed there?
I don't know about "new feature whiners", I just ignore them... I talked about people complaining about important bugs that are still there in sequential versions.

If Steinberg is considered bad by so many, many people then why are they still around after 20 years? And why do they have so many Cubase users? Because more people like their products then hate them.....has to be for them to stay in business.
I'm still a Cubase user because I got used to it after 19 years. And if Steinberg hadn't been saved from bankruptcy by companies like Pinnacle and Yamaha, I guess I would be quiet happy with one of the "new kids on the block" that really seem to listen to their users and bring regular updates and bugfixes for bargain prices.

But enough about Steinberg... This is an Arturia forum and I'm just worried about the copy protection they are using... just like Korg was.

UniQue Werkx

• UniQue Werkx
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:58 am »
fair enough... I can agree with that.
Christian

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines