March 28, 2024, 10:44:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: no sound from VCA2; updated  (Read 6897 times)

SWANG

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
no sound from VCA2; updated
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:53:34 am »
Hello.  It seems that VCA2 is not functioning.  When I patch into VCA1, I have no issues, but when patching into VCA2, there is no sound.  I'm following along with the manual, and I have reached section 7.1.3 which is the first section that instructs me to connect VCA2.  I have double checked to make certain the "keyboard trigger on" is enabled on the trigger input of VCA2.  Still no sound.  I suspect this is not a bug but instead is something I am foolishly overlooking.  Hope to hear from you soon on this as I am really enjoying this software so far.  Thanks.

*edit: I just pulled up a preset that utilizes both VCAs, and they both function properly in the preset.  I can't figure out what I am missing here.  Suggestions would be most welcomed...

update: It was indeed a bug in the software.  I panned the VCAs hard left and right.  I heard VCA1 on the left and a bunch of clicks and pops on the right from VCA2.  I removed the connection to VCA1, fiddled with the pots on VCA2, and lo and behold, VCA2 began to work.  Once I reconnected VCA1, both worked.  I suppose I'm another in a long line of folks who have found a good many bugs in this software, but I guess if I want to use it, I'll have to work around them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:39:47 am by SWANG »

Sweep

Re: no sound from VCA2; updated
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:09:54 am »
That's an odd one. Glad you've found a solution to it anyway.

I've just tried a couple of patches and I can't replicate the problem on my MMV (version 2.2). It continues to work fine on both VCAs however the panning is set.

If you want to send me your patch I can see what happens on my system with it if you like (taoist.hermit1@virgin.net). Depends how important it is.

SWANG

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »
not crucial really as i've saved the patch and reopened it to find everything functioning correctly (knock wood).  the issue with VCA2 pops up when using the "Blank synth" template file to create a patch, but now that i know how to get around it, i suppose it's not an issue anymore.  appreciate the offer of assistance, sweep.

like just about everyone else here, i'm still running across bugs here and there, but i'm working out how to get around them.  i'll probably use this thread to post any issues that leave me stumped to see if the members here can assist.  from what i've read here, tech support for this product, it seems, is a bit light these days, but luckily for us die-hards, we still have the forums to assist us.  ;)

Derek

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:41:48 am »
I just recieved my copy of MMV today and I had the same issue as SWANG. I can't get any sound out of VCA2 if I start with the blank template. I tried his trick of fiddling with the pan controls, but still nothing. I can get VCA2 working using any of the preset sounds that rely on it, but starting from scratch is not working.
I am just starting out with this synthesizer so I wanted to start from scratch a little bit at a time so it would be really cool if I could get VCA2 fired up.
If you come up with a reliable way to get it going, I would be most greatful.

Sweep

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
Sounds to me like the bug is in the blank template rather than the MMV, from everything that's posted.

Maybe make your own blank template by stripping down another patch?

But I'll try to remember to have a look at the blank template and see if I can see what's wrong. It does sound like something very odd if it only happens with this patch.

If I can sort it I could send you a corrected blank template by email.

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:38 pm »
Ok, I think I might know what the problem is.

I've gone through the same exercise in the manual.

VCA 2 is getting its signal from the second filter, multimode in LPF mode. On my setup when I do what the manual says and then pan the VCAs hard left and right I get more than just clicks and pops, but the sound isn't right. What I get is the sound very dim and dull. I think your soundcard may not be getting that much signal and the clicks and pops are due to that.

What's missing from the manual is: raise the frequency cutoff on the second filter, which should largely remedy the problem. As it is, it's filtering out virtually all the sound going to VCA2.

Also, if you select K1 on the first small window at the bottom of the filter that'll get the filter to tracking the same way that filter 1 is doing, which may help more. But that isn't essential. What's necessary is to open the filter a bit.

NB If you didn't select Lowpass on the multimode filter you'd still have problems in some modes unless you also raise the gain switch on the filter. So if what I've said solves the problem and then the sound appears to go again from VCA2 as you experiment with the patch, check that.

Let me know if this solves the problem. It could be something else, but that looks likely. It certainly fits with the point in the manual where the problem seems to have occurred.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:02:37 am by Sweep »

rbailey64bit

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »
I'm on version 2.6.3 which appears to still have the same bug (if it is a bug). No sound coming from VCA2 even if I increase the cutoff frequency of Filter 2. Would love to know if anyone has figured this out yet.

[updated] further poking around in the forum revealed my answer - the input trigger to vca2 is left blank in the template and I had to assign a keyboard trigger to it as discussed at:
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=3846.msg12893#msg12893
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:10:08 pm by rbailey64bit »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines