March 28, 2024, 02:02:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CS80!! COOL!! HOW aout next!! YAMAHA GX1?  (Read 16571 times)

GX1 nut

CS80!! COOL!! HOW aout next!! YAMAHA GX1?
« on: December 09, 2003, 12:19:38 pm »
OH~~~ I tried the demo version of CS80V.
Sound great. and the UI, too!!
So fun to play it.

BUT...my all time favorite synth....
How about ARTURIA using the same tech and making emulation of legend YAMAHA GX1???

I'll be crazy about that!!!

AzureCrystal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.azureth.com
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 05:19:12 pm »
IMHO, the CS-80v IS in reality much closer to a GX-1 than a CS-80. It shares the same multi-timbral capabilities and programmability(it actually beats the GX-1 here) which are the two most important features that were in the GX-1. The synth engine was the same, with the addition of 2 extra keyboards, presets and bass pedals.  Consider the Arturia CS-80v has new modulation routes, midi, and programmability features neither machine had at the time.

I think the GX-1 was nothing more than four layered CS-80s with the additional keyboards, bass pedals, a programming module, plus a drum machine.  And of course the GX-1 came with a HUMONGOUS speaker system....  I looked at the specs for the GX-1 closely and the synth engine seems to be the same as the CS-80, just more of it :-)

-Steve :-)

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 12:49:37 am »
YEAH. You are right.
They both seemed share with the same synth engine from the spec.
But I can hardly edit a string sound just like what I heard from Steivie Wonder in his "song in the key of life" DVD. so I know the original
"Village Ghetto Land" strings is really from GX1~~ AMAZING!!

In the DVD I saw him playing GX1. and played the string sounds.
pretty much closer to real string.(of Course it's not from PCM sample or made GX1 MIDIed)
I still can't figure out~~

So, I'm thinking GX1 maybe has something different.
I know one different is that GX1 can make two tones with more range of footage. from 32' to 1' and even has 3 1/2' and half of 1 3/5'

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 12:49:57 am »
YEAH. You are right.
They both seemed share with the same synth engine from the spec.
But I can hardly edit a string sound just like what I heard from Steivie Wonder in his "song in the key of life" DVD. so I know the original
"Village Ghetto Land" strings is really from GX1~~ AMAZING!!

In the DVD I saw him playing GX1. and played the string sounds.
pretty much closer to real string.(of Course it's not from PCM sample or made GX1 MIDIed)
I still can't figure out~~

So, I'm thinking GX1 maybe has something different.
I know one different is that GX1 can make two tones with more range of footage. from 32' to 1' and even has 3 1/2' and half of 1 3/5'

atomicmoog

gx1 versus cs80
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 03:44:50 pm »
hi

just listen to gx-1 recordings from good old emerson and from rick wakemann, who did an demo recording playing classical tunes ... they both use a gx-1, but that instrument sound totally different, emersons more like a "rock music synth", wakemann more like a cheap electone organ. so in the ens it depends on the external effect boxes  they`d use.

the instruments use nearly the same interiours, analogue circuitry in little "glued" boxes (thats also the reason the sy-1 sounds nearly like a voice from a gx-1)....

the rhythm box isn`t worth the price on would pay for a gx-1, a better buy would be a yamaha d-85 then....

and for all those people out there wanting to buy a gx-1: it seems, that there are no spare parts left at yamaha, and there are many "yamaha special" ics in there....  if you want to sell one, just send a mail ;-)

kai hoffmann, germany :lol:

atomicmoog

gx1 versus cs80
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 03:45:18 pm »
hi

just listen to gx-1 recordings from good old emerson and from rick wakemann, who did an demo recording playing classical tunes ... they both use a gx-1, but that instrument sound totally different, emersons more like a "rock music synth", wakemann more like a cheap electone organ. so in the ens it depends on the external effect boxes  they`d use.

the instruments use nearly the same interiours, analogue circuitry in little "glued" boxes (thats also the reason the sy-1 sounds nearly like a voice from a gx-1)....

the rhythm box isn`t worth the price on would pay for a gx-1, a better buy would be a yamaha d-85 then....

and for all those people out there wanting to buy a gx-1: it seems, that there are no spare parts left at yamaha, and there are many "yamaha special" ics in there....  if you want to sell one, just send a mail ;-)

kai hoffmann, germany :lol:

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 05:31:03 pm »
The arturia home page siad that Hanz Zimmer sold his GX1.
I'm so curious who bought this dream machine.

Yeah. I thought John Paul didn't do GX1 good while in Led Zeppelin.
Emerson did great job.
But Stevie is really good.

Someone heard about the  Jack/Rick Van der Linden?

He had a CD "Wild Connections". Using GX1 and lyricon.
I wanna get one listening.

gx 1
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:34:30 am »
hello
yea i been trying to progaram patches on various synths for years trying to to get close to gx-1 sounds. my patches always seem to miss something,it's one of the main reason i brought cs-80v to try and get close to that gx-1 sound.i do think though that external processing has something to do with it and also building up layers.it would be nice to have a virtual gx-1 though!my favorite user of a gx-1 though is benny andersson (abba )he used the gx-1 a hell of a lot
russell

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 11:36:14 am »
hello
yea i been trying to progaram patches on various synths for years trying to to get close to gx-1 sounds. my patches always seem to miss something,it's one of the main reason i brought cs-80v to try and get close to that gx-1 sound.i do think though that external processing has something to do with it and also building up layers.it would be nice to have a virtual gx-1 though!my favorite user of a gx-1 though is benny andersson (abba )he used the gx-1 a hell of a lot
russell

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 02:05:36 pm »
FYI: As recently established by Scott Rider, aka "Old Crow,' CS80 tech extraordinaire, the GX-1 and the CS80 are NOT, I repeat, NOT the same, in contrast to what we've been told over the years...he has verified this, de-bunking the myth by de-potting the circuits/modules...surprise!!!

http://www.the-gas-station.com/messages.cfm?type=normal&thread_id=56727&lastdays=5&

...which means?  There is CERTAINLY still opportunity - and interest - in a truly authentic GX-1 re-creation...although a Chroma, ARP2500, Synthex or OB-8 would be a treat :)

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: CS80!! COOL!! HOW aout next!! YAMAHA GX1?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »
Recently I have been creating Arturia Origin GX-1 programs. In this thread there are some demo tracks including side by side comparison with a real (Benny Andersson's restored GX-1)

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=86637

Here is a demo of the intro to Lay All Your Love on Me:
https://soundcloud.com/paul-schilling/abba-gx1-intro-on-origin/s-sMXlK

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines