March 28, 2024, 03:02:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The most efficient way to make back up copies?  (Read 4355 times)

iggeman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The most efficient way to make back up copies?
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:21:43 pm »
I am planning to upgrade to a new computer in the near future and i wonder how to make back ups of all the Presets, Banks i have created so far.
I can't find the map where ARP 2600V stores all the relevant information regarding user made presets and banks?
I figured the best way to go about it would be to simply drag the folder to a back up hard drive but maybe there is another way.
I'd be most greatful for any information.
Cheers

Sweep

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
I'm just about to put this to the test, actually - my PC crashed a couple of days ago. I'm writing this on the new one.

When you back up using the Export function, you should be able to specify where the files are backed up. I specified a folder on the hand drive and Exported my patches, then backed up that folder to CDRW. Whenever you Export again, the software remembers where the backup goes on your hard drive.

On your new computer - this is the bit I'm going to be doing shortly - you use the Import function. You need to copy your backup folder(s) onto the hard drive first, as you can only Import with the original installation disk in the drive.

Import is so quick and painless that you may not realise it's happened. The first time I did it (after reinstalling one of the Arturia programs) I didn't realise it had been done and I did it more than once. So just click to Import and then check your patch menu. You'll probably find it's happened in the blinking of an eye. :D

Regarding `upgrading' to a new computer, I wince every time I hear the word `upgrade' as what Microsoft call an upgrade (and Apple too for all I know) is debatable.

If you're thinking of moving from Windows XP to Vista, don't assume things will get better. I've heard various reports of problems running music software under Vista, including Arturia stuff and NI's FM8.

Of course Microsoft tend to release new versions long before they're ready, and patch things up in the following years, but that may not help and I don't expect them to even understand the issues with music software. I'm currently preparing for a long haul with XP. I bought a second XP machine for that reason (now my only one, since the first one crashed). In my view it's worth being able to keep running XP until we know for sure about Vista.

Of course I may be wrong. I've not used Vista myself, and people say all sorts of stuff on web forums. But one of the comments was from a musician who definitely knows what he's talking about. He's used computers in the studio and on stage for years, and what he doesn't know about synths isn't worth knowing. So if he says there are issues with Vista, there definitely are.

Anyway, see how you go and I'll look back at this topic and try to answer any questions. I should be doing my installation on this PC in the next few days.

iggeman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:50:17 pm »
Quote from: "Sweep"
I'm just about to put this to the test, actually - my PC crashed a couple of days ago. I'm writing this on the new one.

When you back up using the Export function, you should be able to         specify where the files are backed up. I specified a folder on the hand drive and Exported my patches, then backed up that folder to CDRW. Whenever you Export again, the software remembers where the backup goes on your hard drive.

On your new computer - this is the bit I'm going to be doing shortly - you use the Import function. You need to copy your backup folder(s) onto the hard drive first, as you can only Import with the original installation disk in the drive.

Import is so quick and painless that you may not realise it's happened. The first time I did it (after reinstalling one of the Arturia programs) I didn't realise it had been done and I did it more than once. So just click to Import and then check your patch menu. You'll probably find it's happened in the blinking of an eye. :D

Regarding `upgrading' to a new computer, I wince every time I hear the word `upgrade' as what Microsoft call an upgrade (and Apple too for all I know) is debatable.

If you're thinking of moving from Windows XP to Vista, don't assume things will get better. I've heard various reports of problems running music software under Vista, including Arturia stuff and NI's FM8.

Of course Microsoft tend to release new versions long before they're ready, and patch things up in the following years, but that may not help and I don't expect them to even understand the issues with music software. I'm currently preparing for a long haul with XP. I bought a second XP machine for that reason (now my only one, since the first one crashed). In my view it's worth being able to keep running XP until we know for sure about Vista.

Of course I may be wrong. I've not used Vista myself, and people say all sorts of stuff on web forums. But one of the comments was from a musician who definitely knows what he's talking about. He's used computers in the studio and on stage for years, and what he doesn't know about synths isn't worth knowing. So if he says there are issues with Vista, there definitely are.

Anyway, see how you go and I'll look back at this topic and try to answer any questions. I should be doing my installation on this PC in the next few days.

Thanks for your information.
I have just tried backing up using the export function.
It worked just fine.
Easy and fast, just as you said.
And Importing the sound banks from the external hard drive should be as easy.
You are absolutely right about all the hassles that comes with a computer/software "upgrade".
I have decided not to get rid of my old system before the new one works.
I think Apple are better at taking care of music software related problems than Microsoft are.
Remember that Apple owns Logic, former Emagic, so they have to be a little bit more careful before they release new versions.
Cheers!

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:28:44 pm »
Great.  Let me know if you have any problems when you come to do the importing.

Sweep

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:18:06 pm »
Something important that I've just found out:

What I originally did was to create a bank called `mine' and create subbanks from that.

That's fine, but what I then did was to save the subbanks individually.

When I've come to transfer everything to the new PC, when I import the first subbank it creates it under the `mine' bank as it should, but then the second subbank is created under mine0, the third under mine1 and so on, resulting in a separate bank for each subbank.

The solution to this is the export the entire bank containing any subbanks of your patches, and import that bank on the new PC. So in my case I need to save the `mine' bank, and when I import it on the new PC all my subbanks should be there, off that one bank.

This is probably true of all Arturia synths. So far I've found it's true of the 2600V and the MMV.

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:19:28 am »
Just to confirm the results of putting it to the test, transferring to a new PC:

I transferred four Arturia softsynths to a new PC, and also had my old PC modified, including having a new drive C, so I did two installations onto new hard drives on two PCs.

Everything went perfectly.  The only slight problem was the one I mentioned in the previous post, with the lesson I learned about the best way to do the backups.

The new installations and the authentication of the software went perfectly, and restoring my patches was very easy. No reason to worry about carrying out this operation with the 2600V, MMV, MiniMg V or CS80V.

I wish I could say the same for other softsynth suppliers.  There's a slight problem with the Korg MS20V, but Korg responded immediately and this should be easily resolvable.

However, Native Instruments have been absolutely useless and I have two completely unuseable programs of theirs. Attempts to resolve the problems just go on and on with the same stupid problems recurring.

So no worries about transferring Arturia products to a new PC - so long as it runs Windows XP, anyway.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines