April 20, 2024, 03:50:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Poll

Do you appreciate Arturia to officially support V-Box?

YES
4 (80%)
NO
0 (0%)
What is a V-Box?
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: April 25, 2008, 11:37:06 am

Author Topic: Plugins on V-Box  (Read 7861 times)

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Plugins on V-Box
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:37:06 am »
Hi.

I am new here, I checked out some Arturia Demos and was amazed. However I also recognized the heavy CPU demand to get that great sound.

Will Arturia support the "V-Box" announced by SM ProAudio?
(http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74)

How many Arturia Plugins may run on it simultanuously?

How might licensing work?
(By the way, Arturia should unify the licensing to one scheme for all products... )

thanks in advance...
Best regards, TiUser

slammah2012

Re: Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:45 pm »
Quote from: "TiUser"
Hi.

I am new here, I checked out some Arturia Demos and was amazed. However I also recognized the heavy CPU demand to get that great sound.

Will Arturia support the "V-Box" announced by SM ProAudio?
(http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=74)

How many Arturia Plugins may run on it simultanuously?

How might licensing work?
(By the way, Arturia should unify the licensing to one scheme for all products... )

thanks in advance...

From the looks of things the Vbox should work for Arturia plugins if you plug your dongle into it....for pre dongle synths like the CS80V....... Bonus.....

Antoine

Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:18 pm »

We seriously think about it...
ex-Arturian

poropat

Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:09:54 pm »
Quote from: "Antoine"

We seriously think about it...

For doing this, needs to improve the old ones enough for people
accept the new licensing method :roll:
VCollection 8

slammah2012

Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:50 pm »
From the looks of things the Vbox and VRack should be no different than a Computer except that it's CPU doesnt need to Carry a bloated XP or Vista OS....
I like the Rack with the 8 balanced ins and outs.....Much better system than the Muse receptor, as you don't need to translate the dll files to complicate more licencing goo to a softsynth already licensed to you...

It should not recognize being outside of a computer actually which is great news for me.....Can I wait until Q4 of 2008???

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
...intermediate thanks for all thoughts...
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:47 am »
Hi folks,

it's interesting to see that this poll creates some interest within a couple of days... thanks.

Looks like there are two points crystallising in this talk.

1) One licensing method for all products.

IMHO the most convenient for users is the old style serial numbers. But I understand that manufacturers find this sometimes too weak.

The dongle method looks somehow ok. At least you can use the software on any machine at one time.

A general issue remains: While you can run many instances of one synth on a strong PC you can't run the same number of instances distributed to many weaker machines...

...which let me come back to the V-Box, which I assume isn't the strongest PC, even when there is no Win XP on it.

2) V-Box

Also there isn't much detail officially published about the V-Box yet, there are several obvious differences (or missing details) compared to a Receptor.

a) a receptor can be directly recorded digitally, without additional forth and back conversion, V-Box seems to be not.

b) you can edit plugins like on your PC with an additional monitor. The V-Box seems to act more like a preset player - without rating that to be good or bad.

Both seem to need special procedures to put plugins on it, also it seems to be simpler with a V-Box.

I am curious to read more opinions ;)
Best regards, TiUser

slammah2012

Re: ...intermediate thanks for all thoughts...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:54:14 pm »
Hi folks,

it's interesting to see that this poll creates some interest within a couple of days... thanks.

Looks like there are two points crystallising in this talk.

1) One licensing method for all products.

IMHO the most convenient for users is the old style serial numbers. But I understand that manufacturers find this sometimes too weak.

The dongle method looks somehow ok. At least you can use the software on any machine at one time.

A general issue remains: While you can run many instances of one synth on a strong PC you can't run the same number of instances distributed to many weaker machines...

...which let me come back to the V-Box, which I assume isn't the strongest PC, even when there is no Win XP on it.

It is not a PC.....It may not have the Fastest CPU Clock rate....But, I am willing to bet ,without having to support a high end Graphics slot,an over bloated OS,and all of the possibilities of drivers normaly accociated with a computer install,CODEC Conflics,PCI bus related multipliers,and a registry that has no errant entries,  The hard drive would be dedicated to reading only softsynth and midi related instruction....You wont have Fragmented Disc Space,....
I will bet It screams past your computer.....even with the highest CPU loading synths ...and lowest possible latencys....
2) V-Box

Also there isn't much detail officially published about the V-Box yet, there are several obvious differences (or missing details) compared to a Receptor.

a) a receptor can be directly recorded digitally, without additional forth and back conversion, V-Box seems to be not.

V-RACK has a 300GB hardDrive....8 balanced xlr inputs and 8 balanced xlr outputs compared to the 2 on the Muse...
Features:

External hardware host for Windows plugins (VSTi and VST FX)

MIDI learn functions included

Create synth layers and chain them with effects

USB-Ports for copy protection dongles

Multiple VSTi's can be combined

Programmable stomp switches

All effect and/or synth chains can be switched latency free
 16 rotary encoders

Play software samplers (stream content from USB or harddrive)

TFT display with high contrast

Banks, presets can be edited with the V-Rack or the host software
 Quick access buttons

Connect nearly every MIDI-Controller to the V-Rack
 Descent integration in sequencer via plug-in

b) you can edit plugins like on your PC with an additional monitor. The V-Box seems to act more like a preset player - without rating that to be good or bad.

Both seem to need special procedures to put plugins on it,WRONG also it seems to be simpler with a V-Box.

The muse Receptor needs special permissions......The V-rack needs None......you already have your dll.and your licence.... files from the pc will work... all you to is download from your computer your entire midi universe of various VSTi s, and save each as a preset.....plug in your control surfaces and toss away your mouse....for feed back, there is a Touch field High Def video display and 16 encoders milimeters away...
something not offered on the muse....http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76

I am curious to read more opinions ;)

Technical specifications:

State of the art CPU
 300 GB harddrive for plug-ins, presets, and samples

more than 2 GB RAM
 24Bit / 192kHz DAC

Connections:

8 Mic / line inputs (combo)
 Ethernet port for host software and/or sequencer integration

8 XLR outputs
 1 MIDI input

Digital I/O (optical and coaxial)

1 MIDI output

1 headphone output
 1 MIDI thru

2 USB ports for dongles and/or controllers
 1 USB to host port for connecting with the computer

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:46:45 pm »
Hi.

In this thread _I_ was talking of the V-Box only, not the V-Rack. The V-Box target price is to be expected around 400€.

The V-Rack will be MUCH more expensive (no price yet, but I remeber having heard some guess around 1800€) - in a similar price range as receptor - so please don't compare apples (V-Box) with oranges (V-Rack)...

In any case, concerning V-machines (the name for all these new stuff, incluging the pedal), there is not more than announcements... and the prototypes shown on Messe '08. Let's wait for the real things when they are availiable to everyone... and fight then... ok? ;)
Best regards, TiUser

slammah2012

Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:04:59 pm »
Hi.

In this thread _I_ was talking of the V-Box only, not the V-Rack. The V-Box target price is to be expected around 400€.

The V-Rack will be MUCH more expensive (no price yet, but I remeber having heard some guess around 1800€) - in a similar price range as receptor - so please don't compare apples (V-Box) with oranges (V-Rack)...

In any case, concerning V-machines (the name for all these new stuff, incluging the pedal), there is not more than announcements... and the prototypes shown on Messe '08. Let's wait for the real things when they are availiable to everyone... and fight then... ok? ;)

Actually, you were comparing the Vbox  to the "Muse Receptor" which is a grape to orange comparison with the Muse Rackmount unit pricing between basic $2,000 and $3,500, so I took it upon myself to show the compatable but superior unit (the V-rack) in the comparable price range  you are be-littling the pocket size box to.....It is obvious that the V box does not house a several hundred gb hard drive like each of the 2 rack units do.....

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »
Hi,

sorry but it looks like this thread is getting out of control... and I'd better shouldn't reply... should I?

Up to the V-Box announcement there was simply no compact and low priced solution to host VSTi... or did I miss anything again?

If one considers a V-Box it is important to take into account what you possibly will not get. The V-Box concept is something NEW. No HD for instance which makes the unit more reliable for transport.  No usual CPU but a low power V7 that produces few heat, no fans needed...

The V-Rack's concepts as well as the receptor's is not that new in terms of the bulk,  19", 2HE units with more , maybe differently focussed features (and some more differences) but with the more traditional PC HW inside, delicate Harddsiks, CPU's that produce more heat and so on...

But you seem to mix up V-Box with V-Rack and make a pointless  discussion from that.

I hope the misunderstanding is clearified now and I am sorry if you got any points wrong.
Best regards, TiUser

slammah2012

Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:36 pm »
Hi,

sorry but it looks like this thread is getting out of control... and I'd better shouldn't reply... should I?

Up to the V-Box announcement there was simply no compact and low priced solution to host VSTi... or did I miss anything again?

If one considers a V-Box it is important to take into account what you possibly will not get. The V-Box concept is something NEW. No HD for instance which makes the unit more reliable for transport.  No usual CPU but a low power V7 that produces few heat, no fans needed...

The V-Rack's concepts as well as the receptor's is not that new in terms of the bulk,  19", 2HE units with more , maybe differently focussed features (and some more differences) but with the more traditional PC HW inside, delicate Harddsiks, CPU's that produce more heat and so on...

But you seem to mix up V-Box with V-Rack and make a pointless  discussion from that.

I hope our misunderstandings are clearified now and I am sorry if you got any points wrong.

I hope that you arent interpreting that I am  mixing the 2 up....I have been to all websites and have a grasp of each units strengths and weaknesses...19 inches is the industry standard as it will be for many more years...

I am glad that we both realize that they are all different.
In my opinion, I was upset to find Arturia products can not be used on the Muse receptor due to licencing of a translated code...
Both the V box and V rack will work without further licencing....
This could be a big blow to Origin sales as the hardware had a niche on the soft synth code.....
This year will be very exiting if I can finally reduce carrying my 180 pound Yamaha CS80 to live gigs by reducing it down to a smart 19 inch rack....this will also allow me to integrate my AAS synths into the fold and operate on the fly using my Creamware asb s as controller inputs....

Welcome to the Forums...... :D

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 08:14:25 am »
Quote from: "slammah2012"

... I am glad that we both realize that they are all different. ...

:D I am sure we both do. But I'd like to focus this thread to the V-Box... that's all.

In my opinion, I was upset to find Arturia products can not be used on the Muse receptor due to licencing of a translated code...

In this point I totally agree.

Both the V box and V rack will work without further licencing....
This could be a big blow to Origin sales as the hardware had a niche on the soft synth code.....

That's the promise... Let's see. One statement ist that the box itself might become the key... which can be annoying too if you want sometimes to run the software on your home PC... except the box can be used toally integrated like a virus ti for instance.

Well, guess why I openet this thread... :)  ...using VSTi like HW synths is really new.

This year will be very exiting if I can finally reduce carrying my 180 pound Yamaha CS80 to live gigs by reducing it down to a smart 19 inch rack....this will also allow me to integrate my AAS synths into the fold and operate on the fly using my Creamware asb s as controller inputs....

Welcome to the Forums...... :D

:D Maybe I am even more minimalistic concerning the equipment I like to carry around... the V-Box appeals me, the V-Rack not really... but that's also my individual view.
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Plugins on V-Box
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:19:53 pm »
Hi Folks..

V-Box is out now but I have still no clue if Arturia plugins can run on it... anyone tried that?

In general my impresison is V-Box is just a nice idea but resources are not meeting todays standards.... i.e. too few processing power, too few built in memory (ram and SSD) and some more...

Any new experiences?...
Best regards, TiUser

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines