April 25, 2024, 10:21:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Light a little candle (for A-guys)  (Read 5052 times)

omissis

Light a little candle (for A-guys)
« on: October 12, 2007, 02:06:25 pm »
Hi
After a while I went again into the CS80V and I got again its famous "in your face" sound into my ear: it hasn't been an unpleasant sensation and I believe that the good ol'V can still have many bullets to shot.

I wish anyway that the rush for the Origin has had an end and the testing goes good.

Arturia guys, have you time now to talk about the virtual synth?

I believe that some things like the KAS like assignment can be overcomed , all in all I believe the V is enough portamento friendly.

All in all, bugs apart, it could be worth it to

-set a fixed, positive, note-on dependent, filter tracking like on the original

-tweak the rm-modulator and its envelope

-set the virtual trimpots to detune ratio between I and II sections rather than global tuning for both the oscillators (as now)

-maquillages to ribbon (glide bug) and sustainII (see bug base).

Too much?Could we discuss about this ,still?

Let me know.
M
Max

a CS-80Vist

omissis

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:27:12 pm »
BTW
Not to mention velocity waveforms which ,as you know, is a serious miss
Max

a CS-80Vist

slammah2012

Re: Light a little candle (for A-guys)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:01:33 am »
Quote from: "omissis"
Hi
After a while I went again into the CS80V and I got again its famous "in your face" sound into my ear: it hasn't been an unpleasant sensation and I believe that the good ol'V can still have many bullets to shot.

I wish anyway that the rush for the Origin has had an end and the testing goes good.

Arturia guys, have you time now to talk about the virtual synth?

I believe that some things like the KAS like assignment can be overcomed ,

all in all I believe the V is enough portamento friendly.

All in all, bugs apart, it could be worth it to

-set a fixed, positive, note-on dependent, filter tracking like on the original

-tweak the rm-modulator and its envelope

-set the virtual trimpots to detune ratio between I and II sections rather than global tuning for both the oscillators (as now)

-maquillages to ribbon (glide bug) and sustainII (see bug base).

Too much?Could we discuss about this ,still?

Let me know.
M

I disagree with the Shun on the portamento fix Max...It is very important to me....
As I have dilegently pointed out.... Sustain II approaches portamento as a Mono/poly synth... the last note triggered is where the next portamento event starts  from....even with the last trigger held, the next portamento will start there and meander to its destination while the former sustains...
If the first note is lifted however, the portamento will steal that note like a mono synth... and any non legato melodies played over a sustaining chord, will have portamento occur between the melody notes only with a last note least priorety....atleast until a new chord is selected which will also trigger a portamento to it.......
The way it works now is very messy... the portamento starts from all over ....strange places in the sustaining chord or in the KAS rotation....and it doesnt follow the monophonic rule for melodies.....
This I believe is more of a priorety than detuning osc2 further out of whack..... Believe me ...If you had a real CS80 you would know how much it costs to repair what you are requesting....about $800 a visit

omissis

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:08 pm »
No, Laurie, I was maybe wrong when trying to explain: the KAS assignment needs a complete re-design so it would stretch much more time out of it for this update; kas is important to me too but it is something that even developers still don't understand in its logic: it is an ordinary cycling with 'most recently used' voice priority calculated on the release time of a chord: this is why the CS80 it is so portamento friendly; moreover the Sustain acts after a particular relationship between KAS and SH where the master-voice clocks interact in peculiar way with the gates of SH, thus giving out those effects: it's  kind of hard to understand the logic and therefore to design it ; so at least for the moment it could be better to switch to the easier things so a first update could be released in reasonable times, then the kas could be something to work more deeply in. Always taking for granted that the guys here will take care one day or another  :twisted:
Max

a CS-80Vist

slammah2012

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »
Quote from: "omissis"
No, Laurie, I was maybe wrong when trying to explain: the KAS assignment needs a complete re-design so it would stretch much more time out of it for this update; kas is important to me too but it is something that even developers still don't understand in its logic: it is an ordinary cycling with 'most recently used' voice priority calculated on the release time of a chord: this is why the CS80 it is so portamento friendly; moreover the Sustain acts after a particular relationship between KAS and SH where the master-voice clocks interact in peculiar way with the gates of SH, thus giving out those effects: it's  kind of hard to understand the logic and therefore to design it ; so at least for the moment it could be better to switch to the easier things so a first update could be released in reasonable times, then the kas could be something to work more deeply in. Always taking for granted that the guys here will take care one day or another  :twisted:

Maybe it is my wording that is hard to wrap a head around..... let me re try...SUSTAIN II
A note being "held down" we can assume is triggered and unavailable
A note "sustaining/releasing"  has been triggered and is available

Sustain II affects sustain like a mono poly synth....the last note triggered has least priority....If the last note triggered is unavailable
it is left alone, it is the last note triggered that is availablewhich will be stolen...

Portamento basically starts its modulation from the key(s)** of the last note(s) triggered.........regardless if it is available or unavailable......

If it is unavailable , the Portamento sound still starts from the note last triggered, but itis the last note triggered that is availablewhich you will hear sliding to the new key...which in turn becomes the last note triggered, and hence, where the next portamento will start from.....this is where that mono synth approach sounds clearly because all notes on a mono synth are the last note triggered have least priority...

**the plural (s) if 2 chords are played one after another, portamento(s) will occur between the 2 chords...

omissis

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:28:55 am »
Laurie
I understand what you're sayin' ,and all in all it tells the same things I've said before...
Last note triggered(unavaliable, cause it's been playing!) and avaliable stolen= "most recently used" voice# ,which doesn't mean that Sustain II steals the active note but,rather, that it is the voice card which played previously than the actual played note and which is, as you say, avaliable, on an "age" counting base to be played, the note/chord sustaining is killed by the first voice played after it.
I see nothing strange, as sometimes happens, we say the same thing by different points of view.
Anyway it shouldn't be me for you to argue with, no? :wink:  I can't code programs myself , still, nor I'm a mathematical mind.
Cheerz!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines