April 20, 2024, 06:51:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CPU usage tests  (Read 5695 times)

zotor

CPU usage tests
« on: November 12, 2003, 06:29:25 pm »
I did some CPU usage testing for the CS80v standalone demo for Win2k, on a 2GHz P4. With all 8 voices sustained I found the following:

I start with "Basic" config:
HPF, LPF, SINE, PWM speed SLOW for both layers
Ring Modulator: all 0
Sub Oscillator: all 0
(features later turned on one at a time)

"Basic"
CPU: 8%

Enabled HPF on both layers:
CPU: 10%

Enabled LPF on both layers:
CPU: 12%

Enabled SINE on both layers:
CPU: 18%

5. Changed PWM speed to FAST:
one layer:
CPU: 28%
both layers:
CPU: 38 %
(Note: This is for sine and saw PWM waveforms. Square and Rand had no impact whatsoever. For Noise, CPU was always at 27%/38% regardless of PWM speed.)

6. Set Ring Modulator MOD > 0
CPU: 40%
(Note: Changes to Speed & Depth had no impact)

7. Set Sub Oscillator VCO > 0:
CPU: 58%
(Note: Changes to Speed, VCF, VCA had no impact)

From what I can see, these are the most CPU intensive features, in descending order:
1. Sub Oscillator VCO>0  (added 18%)
2. PWM Speed  (added ~10% per layer)
3. Post-filter SINE wave  (added ~3% per layer)
4. Ring Modulator MOD>0  (added 2%)
5. HPF/LPF (added 1% each, per layer)

I saw the same pattern of behavior on my PowerBook G4 867 running as AU plug-in in Digital Performer 4.11, except for much higher % due to the slower CPU. In fact, I can't get more than 7 voices out of it at any time...

So, Arturia, when you list "required configuration" as P2 500MHz or G3 500MHz, I don't think that is realistic. Not unless you include a max polyphony setting that would prevent the host application from running out of CPU.

Finally, I'm curious as to why the PWM Speed and Sub Oscillator VCO mod (especially) are so CPU intensive compared to everything else? Can this be remedied?

--Zotor

zotor

Re: CPU usage tests
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 01:32:14 am »
Just a quick follow up regarding performance on OS X:
I get TWO voices max with my PowerBook G4 867MHz with all features in use. (AU plug-in under Digital Performer 4.11)

- In the "Basic" (1) config, I get 8 voices with about 40% CPU usage.
- With HPF, LPF, SINE enabled, I get 8 voices with about 75% CPU usage.
- Forget PWM Speed -- as soon as I raise this slider, CPU goes red..

This "variability" makes the CS80v unusable for me. Like, "if I want Sub Oscillator, then I can't use PWM" type of scenario. Not good. I would need a dual 2GHz machine to run this thing reliably with some CPU to spare for the sequencer etc, considering the 867MHz gives me 2 voices.

This is strange, considering that my single CPU 2GHz P4 win2k machine maxed out at under 60% for 8 voices with all features...

Seems like the G4 version is far from optimized.

Anyone else having success on their Macs ? Do I really need to go out and buy a top-of-the-line dual 2GHz G5 to be able to run one 8-voice soft synth??

I love the sound of this instrument, though, that's why I really care about being able to use it. (or not being able to, that is)

--Zotor

JSchur

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: CPU usage tests
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 03:23:10 pm »
Quote from: "zotor"
Just a quick follow up regarding performance on OS X:
I get TWO voices max with my PowerBook G4 867MHz with all features in use. (AU plug-in under Digital Performer 4.11)
Seems like the G4 version is far from optimized.
Anyone else having success on their Macs ? Do I really need to go out and buy a top-of-the-line dual 2GHz G5 to be able to run one 8-voice soft synth??
I love the sound of this instrument, though, that's why I really care about being able to use it. (or not being able to, that is)

--Zotor

Yeah, unfortunately I find the CS completely unusable on my 867Mhz TiBook and my 933Mhz Quicksilver.  Both machines have 768MB.  On the simplest sounds I get maybe 2-3 notes.  Anything beyond that breaks up.  I'm so disappointed; I was really looking forward to enjoying this. :(  :(  :(

husker

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
CPU usage tests
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 03:37:31 am »
It never goes past 60% cpu on my PIII 1GHz notebook, so it does seem seriously crippled on Macs....?

AzureCrystal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.azureth.com
CPU usage tests
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 01:03:51 pm »
I am using both the MMV and the CS-80v on a 1.4 ghz, 512 sdram, AMD Athlon cpu desktop computer, running on Windows XP(no service pack, that killed my PC).  My CPU % on the SYNTHs counter averages between 5-12% for single note passages, to 15-25% for full 4-6 note chords. They only way I can get my CPU counter to show RED, is to play a cluster of 15-20 notes which I'm sure goes beyond the intended usage !! LOL !!!  :lol:  :lol:

When I run the "Performance Monitor"(control panel, admin programs) on either one of those synths, I show about 15-27% cpu usage. Not bad considering a standard of the industry program like Sonar pegs my CPU usage to 100% the minute I click the [Play] button.  When I use the the Arturia synths in conjunction with a sequencer like n-Track,  using both programs I never get my CPU usage(in performance monitor, not what the synth shows) over 60%, and the CS-80v and MMV meters never show CPU usage over 15-20% in that scenario. I always run both as standalones using a virtual midi port(Midi Junction) which works best for me.  8)

I do notice some digital clicks when using the mouse on the synths' Interface, but that could be a result of the mouse's assigned IRQ conflicting with the VGA or sound card...  Hope this is helpful !

Regards, -Steve
Prog-rock band: http://www.azureth.com

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines