March 29, 2024, 01:06:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Suggestion: Zoomable Display  (Read 3741 times)

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Suggestion: Zoomable Display
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:13:57 pm »
My one beef with CS-80v (...er... other than the generally crummy preset management in all my Arturia products...  :lol: )

The TEENSY WEENSY DISPLAY!

I wish there was a button like in Kontakt where you could just view the control panel. No keyboard, no matrix. Just the slider section. BUT

Make that view fill up the whole VSTi window so that each control is a LOT bigger.

I always squint terribly when trying to do deep editing and that has made me steer clear of really diving into CS80v.

It may seem like a little thing to some, but it's kept me from using the thing many, many times.

---JC

slammah2012

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:41:15 am »
That would work good for me too because I have a touch screen monitor..... :lol:
and Fat Fingers :roll:

bc

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:06 am »
I would second... er, third that motion about providing some zoom functionality. Some optional panel views would be great, too - look at what NI has been able to do with the B4II, even without having zoom: they balance that classic overhead B3 view against a couple of other, very non-traditional panel views which afford ergonomic access to deeper functions (not to mention easier patch access, ahem). You end up getting the benefit of, if not necessarily the best of both worlds.

But getting back to the zoom issue, I think it's a really good point to raise. I can't speak from experience with other Arturia instruments but, let's face it, that virtual CS-80 panel is spectacularly busy, even without the mod bays open. Couldn't Arturia justify the effort to provide some reasonable level of zoom functionality? That kind of very straighforward ergonomic touch is pretty standard in mainstream software of all kinds, and surely it's an improvement that Arturia could apply (and amortize) acoss the whole soft-synth line.

In fairness, this isn't just Arturia's problem - lots of plugins suffer from this kind of "locked-in" panel sizing. Whenever I see this type of inexplicable ergonomic "gap" in otherwise excellent software, I always feel like it's a symptom of a business organizational problem; it's one of the inevitable down-sides when you leave a dedicated team of geek geniuses to work wonders on their own, without ALSO having some irate, non-geek slob from the real world who can tap their collective shoulder every once in awhile and say really obvious things like, "That's a wonderfully authentic-looking GUI, guys, but what if not all our users happen to have their own electron microscopes??" Mainsteam software outfits actually have people who do this to the geek geniuses and, all things considered, the geeks probably agree that it makes good sense to have the reality check. Size of the company also has a big impact - note that the major DAW vendors tend to offer lots of ergonomic refinements and customizability because they know they have to cater to workflow in order to survive, while it's the smaller outfits making plugins or more "niche" products that tend (notwithstanding excellence on the technical side) to overlook or foresake these little touches that users appreciate .

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »
Yes, a zoomable display would be great.

But there's a solution that works for the CS80V and for any other software that's hard to see in detail. This is what I do:

Do a screen capture of the control panel and print it on A4 paper. Then laminate it so it's firm and resilient, and prop it up somewhere convenient when you're working. It looks great, it's very helpful, and it works for any software without you having to hope the writers will re-program a zoom facility.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines