March 28, 2024, 10:34:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The Bad Thing About Presets (Arturia PLEASE Read)  (Read 9570 times)

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The Bad Thing About Presets (Arturia PLEASE Read)
« on: July 13, 2007, 05:07:30 pm »
The bad thing about presets is...

HAVING TO STICK THE ORIGINAL CD IN THE DRIVE ----EVERY--- FRICKIN' TIME YOU WANT TO IMPORT THEM!!!!

Drives me nuts. A total waste of time.... which is why I don't mess with CS-80 (or my other Arturia products) more often.

Like many, my DAWs are in a separate room so this is a bigger inconvenience than you might think.

PLEASE trmove this needless annoyance!

Sincerely,

---JC

omissis

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:59 pm »
Or, better....give this synthesizer an improvement,it deserves this, damn gosh.
Max

a CS-80Vist

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:18:24 pm »
I think they've done this to discourage software theft. It's one of those annoying facts of life - if certain people didn't steal from the rest of us, we wouldn't have this kind of hassle.

Vincent T

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:25 am »
I think they've done this to discourage software theft. It's one of those annoying facts of life - if certain people didn't steal from the rest of us, we wouldn't have this kind of hassle.

Exactly!

I think we undersood the message max. You should now stop writing that on all the threads of this forum & Kvr. The more I read that, the less I feel like doing this update - why don't you buy a real CS 80?
Vincent
DSP Arturia

slammah2012

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:06:31 am »
Quote from: "Vincent T"

Exactly!

I think we undersood the message max. You should now stop writing that on all the threads of this forum & Kvr. The more I read that, the less I feel like doing this update - why don't you buy a real CS 80?

Hi Vincent.
I have a Real CS80 ....in the past, I have submitted many small resourcefull suggestions to Max around the release time of 1.5...He was going to bat as a liason for a bunch of group suggestions on this list , on YamahaCS80, Arturiacs, etc...
I must also take some of the hit or blame when you react towards Max wanting a better product, because I and others have been behind him in this great Quest....I love the product...

The suggestions I made speak more to how a real CS80 reacts to Portamento with(sustainII) engaged...It is a mono/poly Portamento on the original.....
There were some other points mentioned over a period of time. some that were addressed in 1.5....again Thank-you
The sound of the instrument is Greatly accurate.... The areas for improvement are more in the playability.... I use my Yamaha CS80 live to play Original Music recorded over the last 30 years.... and it would be awesome if I could get the Same reaction to playability out of the CS80V that I have currently have with the Yamaha CS80.

Vincent, I hope you havent been offended
Please consider doing this update...
Thanks

Vincent T

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:04:38 am »
Hello,

Vincent, I hope you havent been offended

no, don't worry   :)

Please consider doing this update...

I have to apologize, my post was *a bit* violent, but I didn't want it to be... I wrote that because max put the same kind of post on every thread of this forum.
Be sure that we are convinced about the necessity of an update of the CS80V (and a few other products as well), but for the moment we are very very busy on Origin.
Anyway lots of people are asking for it, so we may start before the end of the year doing a 'major' update of the CS80 - and be sure that I will let you know when we will start this job..

Regards,
Vincent
DSP Arturia

omissis

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:29:52 pm »
why don't you buy a real CS 80?

No matter, Vincent, yet many people asked me why don't I buy the real CS80; the answer you could maybe find in one of the reasons why the guys at Arturia designed the softsynth: the CS80 is a big monster and sounds adequately to its appearance and heave but, all in all, it sounds more or less like any other analogue of that time. Yamaha abruptly stopped the production of the CS80 in 1980 and ceased to burn the iG series chips in around 1981, giving away the burning facility itself; now the fact is that this monster is going to have a small life span because any critical part is going to suffer from age and, as replacement is scarce and most of the old and good CS50s and CS60 were cannibalized for spare parts, you can realize that, when all the parts will be gone, you will better keep your CS80 under a glass bell, 'cause it's maybe harder to repair than a GX1. And I don't have the money to keep it efficient.

Now, as I'm not a collector and I want to to enjoy something as long as I can I can't worry if I hit a key too hard . So when the CS80V went out in the shops I was excited to say the least. When I first heard it I was kind of disappointed that there were some minor bugs but nothing really unrecoverable, and joined an email exchange with old friend Xavier who was chief engineer for the CS80V project at the time ;while this exchange lasted he was glad that I pointed him to some little mistakes he didn't give attention to when the CS80V was launched; so he gave me credit when it mattered to fix the ringmodulator's "modulation", agreed to set a primeval form of card detune ( really he didn't understood that the trimmers would have served a detune between each couple of cards rather than a synched tuning) and found challenging the redesign of the Chorus Tremolo. Then the 1.5 version came out.

Now, Vincent,as I told many times and in many places, it's not about the sound which is actually very close: it's mostly about some routings of the CV signals plus some minor corrections (mostly velocity, ringmodulator, chorus);keeping Origin away for a moment, this is where I don't understand the restraint of any people there about reading something on the Group or here and think: «Let's hear what this asshole is crying for» .
Think Vincent that in the past two years I've sent tons of documentation that some people didn't even know, I explained to Frederic where to go about portamento, ribbon and sustain update, when he submitted to me a complain from one of the big names endorsing Arturia synths , who was a previous owner of several CS80s and that couldn't achieve some effects he could do live with the real thing at the times and asked for a fix.

So, why still I don't buy a real CS80,after all? Because I still believe this CS80V could be a great instrument rather than a marketing move (IMVHO, though), I still believe in the CS80V and I still believe that you can make it better.
Max

a CS-80Vist

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:08:58 pm »
At the risk of causing more flames.

ARTURIA: Please consider to switching to dongle protection (as in your other products) rather than having this lame and intrusive deal.

Oh, and BTW: if you do update CS-80v, someone could give some thought to making preset management easier in general. It should be possible to EASILY re-categorise sounds and banks.

AFA general bugs? Yeah I've had -some- (the patches that won't play, or the arpeggiator that magically stops working on certain patches) but all in all, I think the thing works and sounds great.

---JC

Quote from: "Sweep"

omissis

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:57 pm »
Oh,by the way, it looks like the Bugbase at Fogbugz is in trouble or has been removed, I sincerely wish you guys kept a not of them, because they show you the way.
Max

a CS-80Vist

Vincent T

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:14 am »
don't worry, fowbugz is perfectly working, and we have a full list to fix on the future updates... :)
Vincent
DSP Arturia

Raven

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 04:04:02 pm »
Quote from: "Suntower"
At the risk of causing more flames.

ARTURIA: Please consider to switching to dongle protection (as in your other products) rather than having this lame and intrusive deal.

Even if Arturia managed somehow to make this update sound better than the real thing (there's a bigger chance of winning the lottery), if it suddenly went dongled, then forget about it. No way am I dealing with that after having this instrument for the last 4 years.

What is in reality lame and intrusive is the dongle abd NOT a totally unimportant little side thing such as Import. If you're having trouble importing, just save your presets in the .fxb format! :roll:

ARTURIA: Please consider not implementing the damn dongle in your future versions of this wonderful instrument!

/

Vincent T

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 04:17:03 pm »
ARTURIA: Please consider not implementing the damn dongle in your future versions of this wonderful instrument!

We don't know yet, we haven't discussed this point seriously...But we're gonna try for that to be pragmatic, and take in consideration the avantages vs the drawbacks *and* this time the users point of view...
Vincent
DSP Arturia

MitchK1989

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 02:36:41 pm »

We don't know yet, we haven't discussed this point seriously...But we're gonna try for that to be pragmatic, and take in consideration the avantages vs the drawbacks *and* this time the users point of view...

Could you offer a choice between the current system and the dongle?

I think the dongle would be the more popular choice for owners of the V-collection, who would require it for Jupiter 8V and Prophet V anyway.

Rabbitroo

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:57:18 am »
Actually, the Synchrosoft dongle is what has me not buying new stuff from Arturia.   I have the MiniMg V (which I love) but I also have to move from my home workstation to my laptop and pulling USB keys, and then guarding them has too many risks.

They're small and disappear into pockets with amazing ease.  When stolen, you can get responses from "You should have insured it" to "We'll help you get a new key."  (Mine are insured, but try explaining that to the agent that not only do you need a new blank key, but you need software licenses for the what key protected.   In my case I had to go through three adjusters at State Farm before I got a hold of one who specialized in computers and approved the replacement software.)

They are a device which can be physically damaged by a small static charge.   Synchrosoft has been pretty good about drivers right now, but having been down the road on this with other products, five years from now, they may reduce platform support or otherwise not "keep up" with system innovations.  

I was very happy with IK dumped the Synchrosoft in favor of challenge-response system with sufficiently generous limits (e.g. 5 hardware systems) so that I could set up or move with ease.   After all, I pay for my Music software and being treated like a criminal both before and after there are problems isn't really my idea of customer service.

I'd buy more from Aturia, such as their CS-80 and Prophet V, but after seeing that the "V Collection" uses the dongle, I decided to pass for now.

(My personal experiences, YMMV, IMHO, etc.)

-K

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines