March 28, 2024, 11:13:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Virtual Instruments Shoot Out?  (Read 3150 times)

CBrady9158

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Virtual Instruments Shoot Out?
« on: June 01, 2007, 08:54:11 pm »
Has anyone done or seen anywhere they have found a shoot out done with virtual instruments?  I am also hoping the shoot out includes comparing it to it's hardware counterpart.

I would appreciate it anyone could pass along that information.  I am working on a paper comparing virtual instruments to their hardware counterparts and it would find it extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Sweep

Virtual Instruments Shoot Out?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:32:49 pm »
It might not be as straightforward as that, actually.

One of the great things about the Arturia instruments is that they aren't just emulations.  It isn't just a matter of comparing like with like.

In addition to obvious things like polyphony and patch memories, there are additional features in several cases.  That's especially so with the 2600V.  The Timewarp emulation is supposed to be a more accurate copy of the original 2600, but when I compared the Arturia and the Timewarp the Arturia came out streets ahead in my view because of features like the different filters and the modulation section with the draw-able waveforms.  If you wanted to imitate a 2600, the Arturia might not be quite what you wanted, but if you wanted to make original music using 2600-type features it'd be brilliant.

Similarly the MiniMgV has extra features which make it very valuable to me despite having a Mg Voyager.

Even in the case of the CS80V, which has been criticised for not being as accurate an emulation as it might be, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that if a new version emulated the CS80 more accurately I might prefer to keep the existing version as well.

So it depends what you want as a musician.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines