March 29, 2024, 08:26:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Good By and thanks for all the Fish!  (Read 7277 times)

djpetec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Good By and thanks for all the Fish!
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:44:31 pm »
I am selling my Vintage Collection, once I get confirmation of my details being removed, I have had enough waiting around for a working intel MAC versions. Going to put my money into an AKAI MPC1000 instead. :cry:

I got to say I would have loved a "working" verions of CS-80V as I love the sound.  :cry:

If any one is interested then PM me otherwise I will post the e-bay listing for you to bid.

Take Care all, music is life.  :cry:

Ted Perlman

• http://www.tedperlman.com
Re: Good By and thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:58:10 am »
Quote from: "djpetec"
Take Care all, music is life.

And good customer care leads to good music.

Good luck! Don't worry - there are others out there who will take better care of you.

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:21:41 am »
The following is a set of general comments, not just a response to this topic.

There's a similar post on another forum right now - a totally different company and a highly respected one in electronic music. Someone's totally fed up with problems running the software and has come to the end of his patience with it.

Thinking about the problems people have with Arturia software and with other companies' software, many of the problems seem to be with compatibility with operating systems and third party software such as sequencing and recording programs.

If you sell a piece of music software, everyone expects it to run on every computer system going and be compatible with every major third party software package.

Is that too much to expect?

In my view it is expecting a bit much, because you're expecting perfect compatibility with products the synth software company has no control over.

In some cases you could reasonably expect compatibility, perhaps, if it's with an industry standard that's been around for a good while.

But there are a lot of variables. I'm not surprised Arturia decided to establish their own complete system by producing the Origin. That way they have control over the system running the software.

I think it's reasonable to expect much better than we're getting with synth software, but that situation is true of computers generally, and I have sympathy with anyone running a company that depends on Microsoft's latest whim, or Apple's.

With Microsoft intending to make all new PCs run Vista by next year, and with their previous track record both with bugs and with deliberate attempts to keep out third parties they want to put out of business it doesn't bode well that people are going to have to use this latest episode in the ongoing Windows saga.

As I've said before, if you have a computer that runs your software, keep it. Don't fall for the `upgrade' con unless you have something that'll keep you going until all the problems are resolved (if they ever are).

The idea that software gets old is a con. It's digital code. It doesn't wear out. Computers do, and can be replaced. But the only way your software `gets old' is if someone like Microsoft decides to make it unuseable in the future under their latest non-operating system.

I think software synthesis is the future, or a major part of it. And I'm not alone in that. People like Brian Eno think the same. But what's holding it back is what always holds back computing - inept platforms, accidental incompatibilities because of different company software having to interface, and deliberate playing around with compatibilities to squeeze out competitors. We, the users of these systems, are the losers every time.

There are still a lot of plus factors with synth software, and I'm finding it very valuable, along with Eno and a growing number of other people. But there really are problems as well, and we do have to look past the ideal situation and make this stuff work for us, if possible, by focusing on what works properly and seeing if it does the job we need it to do.

People like me are at an advantage, it's true. I use a keyboard for input and I don't use third party sequencing software. This may be one reason why I'm saying "it works for me" when other people are saying the software won't work for them.

I also know what sort of nightmares existed with the old analogue systems that are now being reproduced in software. Many musicians are encountering the instruments for the first time and therefore encountering problems without knowing what the previous generation of synth players had to fight with. There's always some problem, and there's no such thing as the perfect well-behaved instrument.

What's in the way of better synth software isn't just the quality of the software writing - the presence of bugs and so on. It's the whole hard reality of business - the fact that any softsynth maker has to rely on someone else's operating system, and often someone else's sequencing software.

Maybe it'd be better if people like Arturia made their own computers, with an Arturia operating system for softsynths, and we had a dedicated computer for the music instead of adapting our PC or Mac systems. But then we'd have a computer for Arturia, one for Korg, one for.... and so it would go on.

As it is we have a compromise that's sometimes a very uneasy one. I sympathise with the guy selling the Vintage Collection, and the guy on the other forum who's sick of the other company's software not working properly. I feel the same about Windows, and I'm thinking about getting a Mac next time round - though maybe that'll just be a different lot of problems.

It's bloody frustrating. But so was using a Mg Modular. So was using a VCS3. Sometimes an instrument could have been right, but annoyingly it isn't and you have to recognise that and try something else.

Software synthesis could be so much better than it is in practice. That's annoying and sometimes it just isn't worth it. But it's a typical part of being at the leading edge of music technology. They say you can recognise pioneers by the arrows in their backsides. It's true. You can also recognise people pushing back the barriers by the bruises on their foreheads.

Ted Perlman

• http://www.tedperlman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:36:27 am »
Quote from: "Sweep"
...But then we'd have a computer for Arturia, one for Korg

The Korg computer would be efficient in using CPU resources, and the patches would sound great. It would have great customer support, regular updates, and the company would actually care about it's users - both pro and semi-pro.

The Arturia computer would have great sounds, but the OS would take up over half of your computers' resources, have no support from the company, no regular updates, and the company would treat some of their pro users as if they were snail shit. But it would sound and look great.

slammah2012

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:37:40 am »
you obviously don't know the difference between Jerry at Korg saying the DSP is topped out on your Radias.....no possible fixes,....
and
the many upgrades Arturia has made with my suggestions for the CS80V which brought it that much closer to the original.......

I am selling my radias as soon as the Origin comes out if you are interested.......

I have changed this stance as Korg has radically increased the Modulation Sources and destinations with firmware 2.0

Arturia software on a PC with XPpro at 2.6GHZ...........All versions work....perfectly including Brass now........

Need to blame something.............New Operating Systems.......

djpetec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
on e-bay
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »

djpetec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
True passion
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:54 pm »
Cheers Sweep for the very lengthy reply. 8)

I hear what your saying and have to say that generally 98% of the time MAC support is fantastic. I just bought ImpOscar as they got Intel treatment and guess what it just works.

The beauty of MAC OS X is the core audio, if you write it to work with core audio then there is no reason (other than sloppy code) that it won't work with your sequencer.

As someone who is a code tester for both Windows and MAC as my day job I know the heart ache with Windows, I take my hat off to them though, its much harder to make Windows work when there are so many different configurations compared to the MAC.

I genuinely am upset that I have to part with my software went I really love what they could do for me but I feel left out in the cold. I know if I had an XP machine I would be fine or a PPC MAC.

When I seen Arturia were doing a hardware synth I was actually going to buy it but since having so many problems with there current software I thought. 'Hmmm what happens when I spend the guts of £2000 on a keyboard then they focus there minds on something new and leave me where I am with there software'

I am sorry but I am not being left with my trousers down, so I went over to SoundControl in Milton Keynes about bought an Access Virus TI Polar. Especially since 2.0.2 the keyboard is amazing.

I agree that if your system is working for you then dont change it!  :shock:

JWaltman

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 07:43:51 pm »
common.. my Prophet hasn't been working since the day I got it..about 11 months ago..they had 11 months to fix it.. no excuses 'bout different OS's..

I can only run 1 instance at a time, open a second one, and the sound crackles.. not usable at all..

If you sell a piece of music software, everyone expects it to run on every computer system going and be compatible with every major third party software package.

I do expect it to at least support more then 1 instance.. the vast majority of macs have this problem (everything with 2 or more cores/processors has this problem)

This synth (ProphetV) shouldn't have been released (at least not for mac), as I'm sure this has came up during beta testing..

Apart from that, it sounds great.... :(

If it sounded bad I wouldn't matter at all..

djpetec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Damn e-aby
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:47:57 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280110358887&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:31

I had to relist all my gear cause they thought someone had used my account fraudulently! All I did was update my address. lol :lol:

djpetec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Damn e-aby
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:55 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280110358887&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:31

I had to relist all my gear cause they thought someone had used my account fraudulently! All I did was update my address. lol :lol:

Sweep

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 11:54:55 pm »
Quote from: "JWaltman"
This synth (ProphetV) shouldn't have been released (at least not for mac), as I'm sure this has came up during beta testing..

Yes, I wonder about Arturia's beta testing during the last year or two. They seem to be addressing that now with the Jupiter 8, but dangerously close to the release date.

Odd, when there are people very willing to help them develop these products.

I'm inclined to put many of the problems down to them being a very small company struggling to stay afloat, but you'd think when there are willing hands available they'd be only too glad to take advantage of that, especially when products that haven't been fully tested are damaging their reputation.

A couple of skilled company spokespeople and a few beta testers could turn things round, and that's desperately needed now.

I know I soemtimes sound like I'm defending Arturia a bit too much, but that's because I've been keen to separate the real problems from the less serious ones, and focus on what matters most. I really don't want to see Arturia go under. If they can keep their focus and address some serious issues - and be seen to address them - they could really establish themselves as a major force in music technology.

Maybe synth companies just aren't very good at PR. Mg cocked up recently in ways that were entirely avoidable. They'll be able to ride it out, but they really could have done better. It wouldn't even have cost them anything. But Arturia doesn't have Mg's good reputation and high profile, so the dangers are greater.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines