March 29, 2024, 11:04:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Line Out/Headphone Jack/ using with ableton  (Read 3638 times)

graffitizax

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Line Out/Headphone Jack/ using with ableton
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:02 pm »
Hey Guys,

I love my microbrute but at the moment i dont have money for an audio interface to connect it to my laptop, but i really want to get it running inside ableton so i can record and play with effects. i know the line out is running at line level and will fry the microphone port on my laptops soundcard, but i was wondering if it would be okay to run an aux cable from the headphone out on the synth to the microphone port on my laptop as a temporary solution? or will this cause damage/ not work? If this is not viable, is there any other way to use it inside ableton or will i have to wait till i have money for a soundcard? Thank you in advance, im not too experienced with these things so sorry if its a dumb question.

wacopacco

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Line Out/Headphone Jack/ using with ableton
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »
Some people use the mic in on their computer but I've never had good results with it. I prefer using an interface.

graffitizax

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »
Hey, thanks for the reply

I'm not too worried about the quality of the results (since this is only a temporary solution) my main concern is whether connecting the synth in this way will cause any damage to the synth or to my laptops soundcard, as my laptop does not have a line level input, only a microphone input

Bacon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:34:05 am »
You should be able to set the input level on the microphone input to a low enough level to get a decent sound from the Microbrute's line out. Just be sure to turn down the volume all the way down on the synth before you start to play and then gradually increase it until you get a good level. I've done similar things in the past without frying the microphone input, but there are no guarantees.

One thing you do not want to do if you're afraid of damaging the computer is to connect the Microbrute's headphone out to the computer's microphone in since the headphone out is a much higher level than the line out.

graffitizax

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:29:05 am »
thank you very much, thats what i needed to hear :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines