April 25, 2024, 07:42:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Breath Controller controlling two parameters et al  (Read 3786 times)

tarvini

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Breath Controller controlling two parameters et al
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:42:00 am »
I assigned CC2 (breath) to control both a VCA and VCF (a very common configuration). Although both knobs visibly move along with the CC2 data, only the VCA is being affected audibly. It appears that you can only control one parameter at a time. Is this correct? If so, it is a show-stopper for anyone using a wind controller.

Here's another issue (I just got this thing, but there appear to be a number of real bugs in the program... and I'm not even hunting). As an example, if you play a low note on the first patch (this is reproducable on all the others as well) "C.Engel/Basses/CE_BassCelm4", then play a high note, then play the low note again, there is always a click when you return to the low note (the filter is not being reset correctly). This effect is not subtle. There are other glaring issues like this which should have been apparent to reviewers, but, unfortunately were not mentioned in the various reviews of this product.

Is it just me (maybe it is)? If anyone could reproduce these problems and post back I would appreciate it. Please tell me that I will have more than a pretty picture of a Mg-like synthesizer to show for my purchase. I have gotten the latest updates, tuned my system, know what I'm doing, etc. .

Thanks

PS - sorry for the tone (but not sorry enough to not post), obviously I'm a bit frustrated

Elhardt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:21:31 am »
I feel your pain.  There are many problems with MMV.  First of all you mentioned the clicking sound you get.  Yep.  That has plagued many of my patches.  Apparently you haven't seen my huge bug list here:

http://ns20209.ovh.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1454

Scroll down to the part that says something like ----- General MMV2 Bugs ------ and right below that  I describe in detail what seems to be going on with the clicking.  I've also gotten what sounds like little pitch shifts at the beginnings of notes too.  I'm getting it most on polyphonic sounds.  If the patch you describe is polyphonic but you're only playing one note at a time, try setting MMV to mono located in the lower left of the keyboard part of the synth.  That may help.

If that sound is polyphonic and needs to stay polyphonic, then I've found an awkward temporary work around as long as one of the two VCA's is free.  You patch any sound source into the unused one, keep the volume knob set to zero, then move the decay and release times way up close to maximum.  Play a bunch of keys until all voices are used up and the clicking seems to go away.  As long as that unused VCA is running (because of the long release times) that seems to get rid of most of the clicking.

As for CC2, you bring up an issue I was just about to run up against myself.  If I remember correctly, once you apply a CC to a control in MMV, that particular CC isn't available to use again.  I haven't done much with those yet because MMV has other problems when trying to do what you want.  Those CC's you set up aren't saved individually per patch.  So if in the future you set your breath controller to control something different in a patch, that will wipe out your settings in previous patches.  In addition to that, you have no control over the position and range of the parameter you want to control in MMV.  So unless you can control that from the breath controller end, then a knob will move from 0 to 100, usually way more movement than you'd want.

-Elhardt

tarvini

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:58:19 am »
Quote from: "Elhardt"
... once you apply a CC to a control in MMV, that particular CC isn't available to use again...
-Elhardt

I was afraid of that.

I read your list (a bit too late) and I must say that you have more patience than I do. I should have checked things out more, but I felt pretty safe; the product was at version 2, it is priced and marketed as a  "high-end" softsynth, and the reviews which I could find were generally positive.

To explain to the significance of the CC's to those unfamiliar, imagine only being able to control one parameter (such as volume) with velocity... obviously, this limits the possibilities to such a degree that it becomes nearly worthless as an expressive instrument, compared to what it could be. I am not trying to do anything esoteric, just control the most basic things (volume+filter) with CC2; but even if this worked, I would still need to be able to specify a range and offset (at least) for each, to have proper control, and the implementation for these seems to be either nonexistant or buggy.

In other words, I don't think that I'm being "picky", this is basic, essential stuff, as is not having to work around clicks when I go from a high note to a low note, etc ad adsurdium. I should have done more homework, but I should be able to count on the basics being there, and obvious problems being resolved by the time a product reaches a certain level of maturity.

* I edited to make this somewhat less hostile

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines