March 19, 2024, 03:25:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: NAMM 2014: Arturia BeatStep  (Read 18276 times)

mute

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: NAMM 2014: Arturia BeatStep
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 06:51:33 am »
can you chain them in standalone mode so if you have 2 or more, one can act as master and sync/start/stop the others? if so, optional pattern select follow? i'm presuming no, but that mini proprietary midi port could also possibly act as something else..

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:20 am »
well no, the MIDI port is just a MIDI out
Robert
Arturia team

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »
Is it possible to shorten the length of the sequences, or to skip certain steps completely? Haven't seen this in the demo or feature list. Since not everyone sticks to 4/4 rhythms, I really hope this will be implemented in the final software!
I was thinking the same thing. I would also like to see the ability to adjust the amount of steps and a tap tempo.

zedius

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 06:15:46 pm »
MIDI-In based transpose
This is implemented right now.

I haven't seen this referenced in any of the videos or anywhere else. Are you saying you know that you will be able to transpose the sequence by hitting notes on a keyboard?

So if your sequence is C-D#-F-G you can play it by hitting a C on a midi keyboard, but if you hit an F that would transpose the sequece to F-G#-A#-C?

ghunter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »
Is the ability to tie notes together implemented, I've asked in a few places and don't seem to be able to get an answer, though I have noticed a legato setting on/off option on the software I'm not certain of how it works. Can you elaborate on this please.

If this feature gets implemented I will definitely buy one.

Any word if this will be compatible with spark?

paulshillito

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:49 am »
Have seen the demos of the Beatstep it initially looks  interesting but then as Glen goes through showing it there seems to be no mention of things like changing the start and end points for the loop, gate length etc., somethings which is really useful and I would have thought would be really easy to implement in software but maybe they have run out of key allocations to quickly set it up like the scale changes etc. Its a pity as Glenn is a hardware analogue guy and I would have thought that he might have been able to squeeze in a couple more buttons that would have allowed for many more functions present in sequencers like the Doepfer Dark Time.

I know its a general purpose controller and has to hit price points, just a missed opportunity to get some of the wonders of true hands on sequencing out to a wider audience, still might buy one though  ;)

FiltroAnalogico

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 11:32:37 am »
I definitely agree: among other things – like changing the start and end points for the loop, gate length, CC programming with no need of pc just including a cheap 3-digits/7-segment LCD (ref. Behringer BCF/BCR), etc – the lack of MIDI in is the greatest missed opportunity to hit the market with a perfect STAND-ALONE companion for any desktop analogue synth (not only to integrate MBs but, e.g., also to control gear like the Dark Energy, instead of a much more expensive Dark Time, that – being analogue – cannot provide memories, scale quantizing, random play, etc).

I still believe I would like to have the BeatStep integrated in my live setup, so now I wonder if the ‘Kenton MIDI USB Host’ would make possible to feed the BeatStep with an external MIDI clock via the usb port and have it synched to another master-machine.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
I know this basically doubles the price (and does not properly make sense), but I’d like to have the confirmation from Arturia staff that, at least, this could be an option …

Robert?  :)

Thank you!

KRS

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »
..instead of a much more expensive Dark Time, that – being analogue – cannot provide memories, scale quantizing, random play, etc).

The dark time can provide scale quantizing as well as random play. Memory not, though.
..Just to do the dark time justice. It's also a great and very inspiring sequencer!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:35:47 pm by KRS »

isakeit

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:49 am »
and another question from me before the production is even available ;-)

in combination with the microbrute, would the microbrute "record" the steps that are not played (left out/muted)?
i suppose with the cv/gate connection the MB does not record it
BUT
it would be great if via the usb-midi connection from the beatstep to the computer
the beatstep ouputs the cc value for pause.

this way one could route the usb-midi through e.g. ableton live for the microbrute to record
and also store the beatstep patterns on the microbrute.

thanks for considering
and for making such great products

warmdata

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:25 pm »
I asked this on CDM but this would be the perfect tool for me if it worked with my Yamaha CS synth - looking at the spec page it looks like this will not be possible (see below).

Could someone from Arturia give an official yes or no on whether Beatstep would support Hz per volt CV synths like the Yamaha CS series or Korg MS-20? And if not now, is this something that might be added in the future? Thanks.

More info on CV voltages: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/mar95/midi2cvconverters.html

CV/GATE

BeatStep has a standard 1 volt per octave CV  output as well as a standard 1 volt per octave GATE output. You can directly interface them with our famous MiniBrute or MicroBrute synthesizers. Combining Beatstep's step sequencing capabilities with a modular synth allows for all kinds of hands on control and pattern generation.

Zirds

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:04 pm »
One Question: BeatStep will be compatible with Spark VST or AnalogLab?

KRS

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 11:06:47 am »
Hello Arturia Team,

I wonder whether it's possible or not to transpose the sequences via usb? I know it's possible to transpose them by using shift + rate-knob, but for some purposes it's necessary to be able to transpose sequences to any note you want.

May I ask, why the BeatStep has no Midi- or at least trigger-input for transposing, syncing, etc. ? One of the earlier pictures released showed a prototype of the BS having one more connector on the side. I doesn't seem to be a long shot to suggest that you wanted to add an additional input but discarded the idea for some reason.

The missing input really is a pity! Is there any hope an upcoming software update will allow the midi output to work as an input?

Thanks in advance for your attention and time,
Chris

dyears

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:42 pm »
Will the Beatsteps sequencer (combined with the Minibrute) work the same way as the SE or Microbrute sequencer? Will you be able to write and then transpose the sequences via the Minibrute keyboard?

As someone else on another forum asked...
Will you be able to program C-D#-F-G (on Minibrute) , play it by hitting a C , but if you hit an F that would that transpose the sequence to F-G#-A#-C?

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 11:51:37 am »
Hello Chris,

It's indeed possible to transpose the sequence using MIDI note messages sent over USB.

For your second question, we never planned to have MIDI IN on BeatStep.
The extra connector you saw was an external power supply, before we decided providing power thru the usual USB connector was enough.

Last but not least, MIDI hardware is quite asymmetric, you can't reprogram an output to be an input. BTW MIDI input is slightly more expensive than output (an opto-coupler is required), this is why we didn't included it.
Robert
Arturia team

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
Hello dyears,

What you want is possible but not because of BeatStep doing the transpose. It's the MiniBrute/MicroBrute that will transpose the incoming BeatStep sequence according to notes played.
But the end result is the same, and this is indeed what you want.
Robert
Arturia team

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines