March 19, 2024, 10:35:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: NAMM 2014: Arturia BeatStep  (Read 18283 times)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
NAMM 2014: Arturia BeatStep
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »
Guess the word (and picture) is out :)

http://www.ageofaudio.com/en/news/namm-2014-arturia-beatstep

SPECIFICATIONS:
> MIDI controller Mode – RED LED MODE
> Step Sequencer mode – BLUE LED MODE
> 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads
> 16 encoders
> 16 MIDI Controller presets
> 16 Sequence presets
> Works with MIDI Control Center Editor
> Internal and External clocking
> CV outputs (1V per octave)
> USB I/O
> MIDI output
> iPAD compatibility (using camera connection kit)
> Transports can send MIDI CC or MMC
> Kensington Lock
> Standalone MIDI or CV operation when powered via standard
USB power adaptor
> USB Class compliant (no drivers)

Now the question is: Will it also come in black, to pair it with the MiniBrute? ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:56:49 pm by Koshdukai »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
Re: NAMM 2014: Arturia BeatStep
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:34:32 pm »
Perhaps before adding new products, adding a telephone line for customer support would be appropriate, for the existing products.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

tomazzzi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:07 pm »
Franchement la je vous tire mon chapeau !!

Une truc comme ca avec le CV gate c'est le rêve !

Ca sort quand ?

andyr1960

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:27:11 am »
I can't wait for this  :) I'll have a couple of them!

I'm intrigued about the Gate output voltage (They show an ARP2600 which needs a 10v Gate/Trigger). Presumably the output of the Beatstep is 5v? Maybe not?

Programmable NRPN data too!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:36:17 am by andyr1960 »

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »
Is there any way to tie/slide notes together using Beatstep . Without tie/slide being implemented on the Microbrute sequencer this would be a fantastic addition and worth the purchase alone. I noticed with the midi control center there is an option for legato on/off, how does this work in regards to the Beatstep ?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »
Is there any way to tie/slide notes together using Beatstep . Without tie/slide being implemented on the Microbrute sequencer this would be a fantastic addition and worth the purchase alone. I noticed with the midi control center there is an option for legato on/off, how does this work in regards to the Beatstep ?
I do hope that the final firmware specs and feature set isn't closed yet and Arturia will be able to add a few extras in the Sequencer, like that tie/slide and/or step duration (maybe Shift+Knobs?) and MIDI-In based transpose (pity there's no DIN MIDI-IN for this but at least from USB MIDI-IN would be nice).

Not quite sure if there's a way to get into an extra-shift mode (Shift+Ctrl/Seq?) needed to get a 3rd and 4th (w/Shift) layer of use out of the pads and knobs which would allow Pad based transpose (3rd layer) and the Tie/Slide (4th layer).

All we can do really is wait, while suggesting these killer features on such a "tiny" and affordable controller :)
(hopefully, some of these features may already be in there or on their to-do list).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:38:13 pm by Koshdukai »

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:51:58 pm »
MIDI-In based transpose
This is implemented right now.

step duration
Whole step duration can be 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32.

Maybe are you speaking about gate time?
It's settable for the whole pattern using Midi Control Center. Some ways to set it locally are investigated.
Maybe are you speaking of gate time per step?
This is currently not considered.
Robert
Arturia team

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »
MIDI-In based transpose
This is implemented right now.
Cool :)

step duration
Whole step duration can be 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32.

Maybe are you speaking about gate time?
It's settable for the whole pattern using Midi Control Center. Some ways to set it locally are investigated.
Maybe are you speaking of gate time per step?
This is currently not considered.
Yes, I meant Step Gate Duration, so indeed I was referring to Gate time per Step :)

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »
Is the ability to tie notes together implemented, I've asked in a few places and don't seem to be able to get an answer, though I have noticed a legato setting on/off option on the software I'm not certain of how it works. Can you elaborate on this please.

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »
There is no tie to date.
The legato is a whole sequence parameter that can take three values:
  • off
  • on: notes are turned off just after the next one is started (irrespective of gate time setting), kind of 101% gate
  • on with reset: same as above, with a forced trig at step #0

Legato on used with a mono synth can give the illusion of tie when successive notes are the same.
Robert
Arturia team

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »
...also, I do hope that the 6 function buttons do send out SysEx, at least while in CNTRL mode, the most critical of them all would be the Shift button to send something out, Press/Release status would be nice.

This is crucial to expand the uses of the controller when connected to script driven DAWs, like Reason and its very flexible Remote technology, which is as flexible and powerful as the controller allows it to be.

To this day I still wish that the FACTORY 32 shift key could either send its status out through SysEx or send Press/Release info and allow to be set as momentary instead of toggle also through SysEx, so external scripting would double the use of the knobs and faders (like it's possible to do through Reason's Remote)

I know it's too late for that controller but I really hope that it's not too late for the BeatStep to be extra useful as a Reason controller :)

bilbo909

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • http://www.patrickdsp.com
    • Patrick DSP.com
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:35 am »
two questions i have are: 1) can you sequence multiple sequences at the same time? ie. a drum pattern?  I'd really like to use this as a drum sequencer as well.  would it be a feature you could implement in future firmware upgrades?  2) i noticed no midi input so the BeatStep would have to be the master clock if you wanted to use it in sequence mode or use a computer?  could anyone confirm that?  cheers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:13:37 am by bilbo909 »

KRS

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »
Is it possible to shorten the length of the sequences, or to skip certain steps completely? Haven't seen this in the demo or feature list. Since not everyone sticks to 4/4 rhythms, I really hope this will be implemented in the final software!

lhbts

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
This looks very promising! I preordered one :). Anyone know if there will be way to way to extend patterns to like a 32 step sequencer and 64? I think it could be a great feature.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines