March 19, 2024, 04:44:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CV Gate tutorial?  (Read 7949 times)

Ollie Stench

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
CV Gate tutorial?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:12:42 pm »
I am new to the world of CV (although I have a few vintage pieces that have cv capabilities). How do you use the Minibrute to control other gear? I have a Roland SH-09 and a Crumar DS-1 that both have CV in and out.  Can I use the Minibrute as a bridge and control the SH-09 via midi?  Is there a good tutorial anywhere that breaks it down in a way that the average guy can understand?

Thanks.

Krinor

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: CV Gate tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:32:20 am »
I'm affraid it doesn't get much simpler than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/Gate

Google for "Analog synthesis" etc and read all you can.

When you feel like diving deeper you can look for "Alan Strange: Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques and Controls" - which is probably the best book on analog synthesis ever written. It should be available for free download from McGraw Hill. If not, send me a PM and I'll email it to you.

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:06:04 am »
Hi Ollie, yes the article that Krinor posted will give you the specifics, but basically it's CV/OUT and GATE/OUT on the 'sending' synth to the CV/IN and GATE/IN on the 'receiving' synth.  You may need to buy 1/4" to 1/8" 'mono' patch cables from Radio Shack (or whereever) to go from, say an SH-101 to an SH-09.  Good luck, and let us know if you need any more help!  CV/GATE RULES!!!

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:59 am »
And yes, it appears that you CAN control an external synth (i.e. your SH-09) via MIDI using the CV/Out and Gate/Out connectors from the MiniBrute to your SH-09.  I haven't personally tried it yet, but it should work in theory.  Let us know if it does!

Ollie Stench

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:44:24 am »
Thanks guys. I haven't had much free time lately to play around, but I will let you know when I do.

agreenberg19

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:47:11 am »
I'm affraid it doesn't get much simpler than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/Gate

Google for "Analog synthesis" etc and read all you can.

When you feel like diving deeper you can look for "Alan Strange: Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques and Controls" - which is probably the best book on analog synthesis ever written. It should be available for free download from McGraw Hill. If not, send me a PM and I'll email it to you.

Hey, Krinor,

I looked for the Alan Strange book online and the cost ranged anywhere from $300 to over $1000!
Would you please email a copy?  Thanks.
agreenberg@gmail.com

theGoAway

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:06:04 am »
Hi Ollie, yes the article that Krinor posted will give you the specifics, but basically it's CV/OUT and GATE/OUT on the 'sending' synth to the CV/IN and GATE/IN on the 'receiving' synth.  You may need to buy 1/4" to 1/8" 'mono' patch cables from Radio Shack (or whereever) to go from, say an SH-101 to an SH-09.  Good luck, and let us know if you need any more help!  CV/GATE RULES!!!

So, are you saying (theoretically) the MiniBrute can act as a MIDI/CV converter in the same manner as a Kenton Pro Solo MKII can?

Personally, I want to run MIDI information from my DAW (Logic) into the Minibrute's MIDI port, then out through the CV section to control my Roland SH-101. 

I have the Kenton Pro Solo MKII, but it has never worked properly.

bigcatrik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not. ;-)

I now have several pieces of CV-equipped equipment but hooking them up hasn't been as easy as I'd thought.  My Mg Little Phatty has .96v/octave for pitch (or something weird), for example.  Also, I have a pedal that works in one synth's filter cutoff CV but not another.  I'm sure I can figure it all out, but it's not as cut and dried as I'd thought it would be when I was lusting after analog -- the analog sound is there, in any case.  The connectivity?  Now I know why they invented MIDI. ;-)

So, try it and if it works, hooray!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines