News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync  (Read 6028 times)

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sync
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »
Hi, I am about to purchase my second Microbrute and have a question about syncing them. I am aware that I am able to use the sync out of a Korg Volca Beats to advance the sequencer in the Microbrute. My question is, could I use a headphone splitter to send that signal to 2 Microbrutes in order that I can advance the 2 sequencers (with different sequences) separately rather than using the gate/pitch out from one Microbrute into the other and having one slave the other ?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:29:41 pm by zsquaredplusc »

tertior

Re: Sync
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
You risk having false notes  :(

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:23 pm »
The only risk is false notes then ? Nothing that could potentially damage the hardware ? ... Do you know of any sync/splitter box/cable that is available, I only seem to be able to find DIN/sync splitters and obviously these have 5 pin DIN female connectors and I need 3.5mm mini jack ... Information is extremely scant on the internet about this. Thanks in advance ... b.t.w. you say false notes are a risk, though this is by no means guaranteed right ?

Bacon

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:47:49 am »
The same principle should apply here as for splitting CV signals in the patch matrix. Any cheap headphone splitter should work, or Stackcables if you want to go the elegant route.

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:51:07 am »
I got them both to sync fine using the headphone splitter. Though it seems the sync pulse sent from the Korg is only half of the Arturia's therefore I get 1/8 notes (MB) 1/16 notes (Volca beats). Is there any way to have the MB match the VB in terms of them both outputting 1/16th notes, like the step control in the sequencer section of the software acting as a clock divider when receiving sync trigger or am I missing something obvious?  .... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:49 am »
basically, the microbrute play the next note and Gate input rising edge, and stop the note on falling edge. Step Length parameter does not act when Step On Gate is used
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:44 am »
I meant more that for every 1 bar the Korg Volca beats plays, the Microbrute only plays half a bar of its sequence, in order for the Microbrute to play a sequence at 120BPM 16th notes I have to set the Volca Beats to 240BPM ... I know I can get around this by using MIDI though I'd prefer to use sync on some occasions. I believe it is something to do with the sync rate of Korg being 1 pulse for every 1/8th note and Microbrute expecting 1 pulse per 16th note. I understand why I can't alter the step length and that makes sense, but is there a way to get the sequencer to double or half its speed when synced to the Korg ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:27:46 am by zsquaredplusc »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines