March 19, 2024, 08:47:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Bugs, Bugs, and more Bugs...Massive MMV2 Bug List  (Read 52274 times)

Stadanko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Bugs, Bugs, and more Bugs...Massive MMV2 Bug List
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 08:38:19 pm »
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is no plan currently for an update to MMV from what I've read.  

SO that's that! It won't get fixed anytime soon and I'm done venting, so now I will go make music with the rest of my plugins which do work!

I'll check back with Arturia in a year or 2 to see if all of these products haven't gone legacy.........I'm thinking they might.

:o

Stadanko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
workaround sort of
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 11:37:05 pm »
By dropping out of duel display mode I am able to make the GUIs work but there is still some glitching . I can make that work for now. Just wanted to let anyone who has the same problem know.....

Stadanko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origin
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 08:51:49 pm »
I will say despite all of my frustration about there plugins they appear to have gone the distance with Origin. If they have forsaken their older stuff I hope the results of the Origin prove well worth it. Perhaps by designing their own hardware layout they will have a more robust unit with less problems. Not that I could afford to buy one, but damn I do like new ideas! Very innovative and somewhat original at the same time.....definitely forward thinking and I give them credit for that!

Moogedy Moog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Bugs, Bugs, and more Bugs...Massive MMV2 Bug List
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:27 am »
I registered this account specifically to share my bug finds and improvement sugestions, but after reading Elhardt's, any professional could safely start questioning whether MMV is an internet joke or just a promising piece of software nobody bothered updating anymore for some strange reason.

MMV is unique, I've seen nothing remotely similar on the software market, there's plain and simple no decent alternative when it comes to Mg Modular emulation, and it would be a shame if MMV stayed in this arguably deplorable state for too long.

Nevermind the nasty bits, so far I've been able to replicate every patch for the real Mg Modular in MMV, it's just that the process is different due to several design flaws. My point to all this? get it fixed, improve it, I'm sure Bob would have liked it that way 8)

Regards.

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Bugs, Bugs, and more Bugs...Massive MMV2 Bug List
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:33 pm »
Hi.
This thread is running for almost 2 years now and I would be glad to know if anything has been changed in the meantime on MMV2...

I like the basic sound of MMV2 but I have to say I still can confirm some of the more simplistic bugs with the current demo version. I won't take the effort to check all of what was initially said but I believe it is true as well.

So Arturia, has anything changed, fixed with MMV2 in current version 2.2???

MMV2 would be wonderful if everything would work proper!
Best regards, TiUser

poropat

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:10:43 am »
Hi.
This thread is running for almost 2 years now and I would be glad to know if anything has been changed in the meantime on MMV2...

I like the basic sound of MMV2 but I have to say I still can confirm some of the more simplistic bugs with the current demo version. I won't take the effort to check all of what was initially said but I believe it is true as well.

So Arturia, has anything changed, fixed with MMV2 in current version 2.2???

MMV2 would be wonderful if everything would work proper!

Since the origin is still not shipping, I think it's unusefull to hope anything about bug corrections
or improvement in Arturia VST's.
When Origin will be ready and sold, if we have chance they won't create a new Instrument,
maybe we could hope some bug corrections or improvements on existing VST's.
VCollection 8

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »
Hi.

I am still around the corner... sitting here in doubt how serious to rate some of the issues.

One is the pronounced popping or clicking in polymode... but stop... I tweaked some envelope attacks slightly and it seems to disappear... so it's just about fast envelopes that produces such punchy effects on every other fast synth too?...

Maybe there are some stupid issues in MMV2 - especially for guys who do extensive patching - but how "unusable" is it really? Isn't it still the better "Mini" for the same price?
Best regards, TiUser

Sweep

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »
Hi.

I am still around the corner... sitting here in doubt how serious to rate some of the issues.

One is the pronounced popping or clicking in polymode... but stop... I tweaked some envelope attacks slightly and it seems to disappear... so it's just about fast envelopes that produces such punchy effects on every other fast synth too?...

Maybe there are some stupid issues in MMV2 - especially for guys who do extensive patching - but how "unusable" is it really? Isn't it still the better "Mini" for the same price?

Changing the sample rate often helps get rid of popping and clicking, but yours sounds like a different problem from the one normally reported, since changing the attacks has cured it.

I've said this many times before, but it does need to be repeated because of the persistence of one or two detractors: the MMV is not unuseable. No more than the original Mg modular, anyway, which anyone with experience will tell you was a difficult and demanding instrument with quirks and problems.

Incidentally I seem to recall Larry Fast commenting on problems with sluggish attack on the Mg modular envelopes. He actually ran some tests, and the Mg ones were the worst he had.

For just one example of the `unuseable' MMV in action, making sounds you might not expect from it, try `Rainfall in Kyoto' on my music page:

http://sweep.infinite9ths.com/

This piece was done entirely with the MMV.

The same site also has a whole collection of pieces done entirely with the MMV (in one case with a Voyager as well) by another musician, Brad Gilbert. Try this link:

http://infinite9ths.com
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:16:59 pm by Sweep »

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 12:35:30 am »
Thanks for the link. Interesting music and evidence that MMV can do music ;)

I am still not sure if it's wise to buy MMV. There are definitely some odd things, but in a way I agree that it is maybe a kind of emulation of more or less "original" imperfection... I never owned a Modular and I never will, so maybe the "digital perfection" view is just distorted by the "great vintage analogues" in some way...

I think I have to experiment a bit more but actually MMV got definitely some brownie points back... and I still feel MMV is still the better Mini with the richer sound but harder to operate... ;)

...and for all who hesitate with Arturia stuff but love analogue sound might take a look on SonicProjects OP-X... a great, fat sounding emulation of the Oberheim OB-X that definitely fit's the bill...  ;D

Best regards, TiUser

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 11:44:06 am »
Hi Folks,
after a long struggle I finally bite the bullet to order MMV2. The "buy one, get another one free" promo may have influenced this decision too...

I have checked out the demo many times and I like the basic sound. MMV2 may not be perfect, especially to those who want to replace a real modular synth by it and I have reproduced some of the reported issues, but finally that's not my goal.

Maybe I am after the "most simplistic uses" that were initially criticized...  ;) but I think you still get more with MMV2 than the MiniMgV for the same buck. I don't mind the patchcord philosophy and 9 oscillators and all the other multitude of modules can by far create fatter and more subtly shaded sounds than any Mini - even if some modules do not work perfect... in technically all over or nit picking sense.

Finally I don't agree that MMV2 is unusable. It may be if you expect it to be perfect or meet original specs but I guess the real M wasn't perfect either...

I hope Origin will be a great success - if I had the money I'd be for sure around the corner to get one - but 'til then the MMV2 should do also.
Best regards, TiUser

Sweep

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:52 pm »
Great. Have fun with it.

When Wendy Carlos had her modular delivered, she was looking at the modules and working out what could be done with them even as the synth was being assembled. :D

Most of us aren't like that, though, and like you said it's a complex instrument. `One serious piece of gear' (or words similar to that) was how one very experienced synth player described the Arturia MMV to me.

I think one of the best ways to get to know it is to explore the patches that are supplied with it. Fiddle about with them and work out what modules and settings are doing what to the sound. That's a luxury we have with the Arturia that the early synth pioneers didn't have.

I'm continually surprised by the things it's good at - things like bells and chimes, for example, which programs like FM8 should do better, in theory. I find myself returning to the MMV for specific sounds and a specific character to the tone.

mikehuckaby

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 10:30:02 am »
how many of these bugs have been fixed since this post.

mike

jcotner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 05:50:48 am »
Hey gang I posted the comment about a year ago that I got from Arturia regarding no updates planned to MMV2. Thought I'd log in and see if anything has changed and it has not, sad to say.
I will say I haven't fired up MMV2 since last year and spend all of my soft synth time in the Native Instruments world. This is not any sort of commercial for them, but I used Komplete Synths constantly and don't have any of the annoying "GotChas" that seem to bite me while using MMV2. MMV2 could be so much more if the bugs were addressed and I would think that in itself would generate enough new sales for Arturia to justify the development time to clean MMV2 up.  Oh well, I guess it's a nice dream. See you folks next year and it's back to the NI world for me. BTW I thought Yamaha was the US distributor for Arturia but I find no mention of their products whatsoever, except for a 2005 dated press release saying Yamaha was distributing them. Wonder if this has gone by the wayside also.

porfiry

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:49 am »
I've got to say, I wish I'd read this thread before spending even the reduced $99 price on MMV. I was super excited about getting this software, I've been super excited about patching it like a freak, and I've even been excited about the few sounds I've gotten out of it.

That said, it is indeed a bit of a turd bugwise...I'll be patching away, getting to something really cool, and all of a sudden the sound just stops. I have to quit my host (Live) and reopen to do anything again. Wow, usable! Or I'll have something patched and try to save it in a preset slot, and after the save the sound has totally changed. What a great feature! These bugs are mentioned earlier in this thread, and obviously still have not been fixed in fricking 2009. Super, I love throwing money away.

So I read this thread, and we have this guy Sweep, who I have to wonder if he's the only Arturia employee who's showed up here, trying desperately to debunk the OP's meticulously documented and obviously repeatable issues.  Yeah, Sweep ol' buddy, I'm sure total sound dropouts were a hallmark of the original modular Mgs. You'd patch it up, it'd stop making sound altogether and then you'd have to dismantle and rebuild it from scratch. This software really IS just like the real thing! ::)

I didn't buy this thing to surf presets, I bought it to learn the basics of modular synthery. It has a lot of potential, sounds very Mgy, and is somewhat useful on the most basic level, until you're going along and it quirks out on you. Really quite sad; it's really the most unique softsynth available in a way. It does something that the rest don't do. Just not very well.

Since I bought it on sale and registered it I supposed I'm a bit screwed on returning it...lesson learned I guess. Certainly about Arturia. First and last one of their synths I'll bother with. Meanwhile I'll stick with the very stable and functional Zebra2 and Operator, and save my dollars for a rack of Synth Tech or Synthesizers.com modules.

Antoine

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 10:50:38 am »
Okay, time for an intervention.  ::)

Please remember these forums are *not* an ARTURIA developers blog, but really a users community place. You won't have real-time information on MMV2 bugs resolution or day-per-day new features implementation. These informations are to be released through an elementary marketing process.
The MMV, as its cousins, currently is under heavy work, and most of the bugs here listed are being corrected if not already. I have no more accurate information yet from the Developers Crypt.

I understand your impatience, but things are not magical and demand severe development. The few bugs you encounter cannot prevent you from serious audio works with the MMV; and just as the venerable analogue Mg System 55, you can workaround most of them.

Glad to learn you have pleasure with the NI stuff, as they make sympathetic software synthesizers, and there is place enough for all talents in the musical editors industry.
Contrarily to hardware ones, software synths are constantly evolving, and if the MMV still have bugs (pretty like the NI synths, if you deeply dive into their guts) they are being corrected version after version.

By the way, Sweep is *not* an ARTURIA employee, but an enthusiast user that does not stay locked on minor issues, and who shares his experience and advices in a positive and constructive attitude, even if he encounters the same minor issues as you do.

My words might sound a bit rude, but you started first after all. Please see no offense here, just firm but friendly elements of response.   :)

Keep up the good vibrations,
Antoine.
ex-Arturian

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines