March 28, 2024, 04:37:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Synth Education - I want to learn analog synth programming  (Read 22432 times)

Hiphopblues

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Synth Education - I want to learn analog synth programming
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
Hello all,

Just got Microbrute, and I am having a blast.  My first analog synth (probably lots of people in the same boat).   I am hoping Arturia can provide some synth basics for us first-timers (or the other forum members).   I have kind of randomly come up with some good sounds, but would love to figure out how to get some of the sounds I have in my head or have heard on other synths.  I also want to congratulate Arturia on creating something so affordable, yet so powerful.  Microbrute is a synth for the people.   Thanks.  Also, been watching  Automatic Gainsay's video tutorials on Microbrute.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzj4QQiw8Dg   I recommend this for beginners like me.
Hiphopblues

ChuckL

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Synth Education - I want to learn analog synth programming
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:57:13 am »
The manual has a decent intro to synthesis, and breaks down each section.

A good way to learn is to play with each part of the synth separately. On page 14 of the manual is the "basic patch". You should start with that*, and pick a part of the synth you want to understand. When you get lost, or you want to try something else, always go back to that "initialized" state.

Even though the synthesis is subtractive, I find it is easy to make complex sounds(and know how I got there) by taking an additive approach with the available elements.

*Start with the saw oscillator at 50%, not maximum. As you tweak the oscillator section, and this is most noticeable in the triangle wave, you will see that going beyond 50-60% slightly overdrives the wave, changing its harmonic content and thus it's sound.

Hiphopblues

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »
Thanks, I am working my way through it.
Hiphopblues

Hiphopblues

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »
FYI for beginners:  Macprovideo has some great tutorials, including Synthesis Basics by Marc Doty/Mg (currently doing the Youtube vids on Microbrute under Automatic Gainsay).  I recommend it for beginners like myself.  He explains everything using a variety of synthesizers to the point where I can now start applying the basics he is teaching to the Microbrute.   Enjoy!
Hiphopblues

KrisM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:29 am »

psr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:25:36 am »
FYI for beginners:  Macprovideo has some great tutorials, including Synthesis Basics by Marc Doty/Mg (currently doing the Youtube vids on Microbrute under Automatic Gainsay).  I recommend it for beginners like myself.  He explains everything using a variety of synthesizers to the point where I can now start applying the basics he is teaching to the Microbrute.   Enjoy!
Hiphopblues

agreed. I love that tutorial series and Marc is nothing short of amazing in the way he teaches with the technical and the historical aspects. makes it fun and very interesting.
I reviewed that module of tutorials here http://bboytechreport.com/2012/11/14/review-macprovideo-coms-the-foundation-of-synthesis/

Also a really good book is by Rob Papen "The 4 Element Synth"... you will learn synthesis in a really comprehensive way. And even if you donrt read it from cover to cover you will have a great point of reference at your disposal. I always refer to it.
http://bboytechreport.com/2013/07/12/bookclub-the-4-element-synth-by-rob-papen/

inkuplex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:28:57 am »
Marc is amazing, it's great to see such sincerity and passion in a niche community. Also his Microbrute overview and Yamaha DX-7 review are hilarious.

yusynth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:21:39 am »
For the french speaking fellows there is an excellent series of tutorial with the MiniBrute and MicroBrute by a canadian chap : Franco La Muerte.

http://www.youtube.com/user/francolamuerte/videos

Punkhund

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:01:40 am »
Take a look at Syntorial if you want to learn by trial and error.
It help me alot.

http://www.syntorial.com/

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines