March 29, 2024, 12:37:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Broken High C Key - 2nd MiniBrute  (Read 2919 times)

Frozen_Lonesome

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Broken High C Key - 2nd MiniBrute
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:26:36 pm »
My first MiniBrute was replaced under warranty for a broken LFO wave selector knob. I purchased it from Sweetwater and I live in Canada. It cost me $50 to send it back. I have had the replacement synth for about 6 weeks and only played round a dozen times and it has a broken high C key. I am very disappointed. I will contact Sweetwater, but the idea of sending it back for another $50 really makes me mad.

Seriously, what is wrong with the quality control.

Steve
PS: I was going to buy a MicroBrute but decided against it because of the problems I have had with my MB.

Frozen_Lonesome

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Broken High C Key - 2nd MiniBrute
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »
Looks like the video did not upload. Please view on my Dropbox. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7173045/Broken_high_C.MOV

Dav1d

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:31:19 pm »
Hi,

This is not normal, can you give me more informations about your problem ? Ticket number?

T3k

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »
There are many threads about broken keys.

Either your bumper has fallen off, or the assembly that holds the bumper has cracked.

You can open a support ticket and/or try to return it.

If you can't afford to ship it back, you can remove the 16 screws on the bottom plate (not the big screws) and check the high C bumper. You will need to pry the spring off the key and slide the key off, there's a little key lock you will have to also pry. Instructions can be found on this forum in an older C Key thread.

If it's fallen off, pop it back on and replace the key,

If the assembly has cracked, you can Superglue it.

I get your frustration. I had two keys break for no reason. The way they broke was as if someone tried to force a key up by pulling hard, cracking the plastic bumper holder. Except that they flopped upwards by themselves.

If these synths pass QC, it's possible they suffered a break in shipping because a key bed material had a weakness. Most people report the key lifting up later, not out of the box. I'd guess there was a problem with a certain batch of the key beds from a supplier, perhaps the automated tightening of the large screws stressed the plastic. They seem to break mainly on the Cs, under which is where the domed screw holes are located.

The Microbrute seems to have less to go wrong, with those simpler Minikeys and far less sliders and knobs to worry about. Return your Mini and get a Micro, and you should have free shipping due to price difference?

Frozen_Lonesome

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »
The ticket # is  147385 and David from tech support has replied. My issue is two fold. 1. This is my 2nd unit and honestly I have barely used it (for un-related reasons) since I received the replacement unit. I have been very careful with it and have a well padded case that I use to move it to practice and gigs. I'm not that handy so am reluctant tom open it up. 2. Because of limited supply, I purchased it from Sweetwater in the US and have to pay the shipping to send it back. That was my choice. However, If I send this unit back I will have spent over $100 in return shipping fees. That sucks! plus the time I am with out my synth.

Based on the forums, many people have had issues with their MiniBrutes. More than seems reasonable.

bigcatrik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:38:56 am »
I had to open my new MiniBrute to retrieve a keyboard weight that had fallen off.  It took about 15 minutes and doesn't void the warranty.  Sure, it would be great if everything worked perfectly out of the box but it's not a bad thing to be intimately acquainted with your equipment, particularly musical instruments, IMHO.  You could buy a more expensive synth but the forums of other companies are full of support headaches too.

Incidentally, I had a MicroBrute but exchanged it for the MiniBrute.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines