March 19, 2024, 07:28:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SparkLE low audio and other troubles Ableton 8.3.4  (Read 6167 times)

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
SparkLE low audio and other troubles Ableton 8.3.4
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »
Hi,
DAW: Ableton 8.3.4 which runs super stable on a Win 7 64 bit i7 3770K/16gb machine that is not connected to internet (never) with no antivirus/firewall/other back round ish…running.
Just bought Sparkle two days ago and am quite frustrated. DL latest version 1.7 had problems also with 1.6.

The output of sound into my DAW is really, really low. Set everything to 0db in Mixer, done al FX checks….nothing…Then suddenly after a couple of hours sound was perfect and punchy, coming in at 0db in DAW, then it lost it again. This is very frustrating because I now think I know what it SHOULD sound like.

Ableton has to shut down if I remove the Spark Vst from it’s midi track…

The browser does not show up when I press the jog dial (it does  sometimes, just after startup, and then loses it…)
Software feels buggy and unresponsive, sometimes it won’t allow me to create a new project. That is my general feelling and experience with it: sometimes it does something, sometimes it just doesn’t.

Have reinstalled the software (removing previous version, drivers et all) 5 times now ( also 1.6)
All advice welcome as this, for the moment, is a real disappointment. Bugs will always be there, but the sound…?

Cheers,
Sigurd

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: SparkLE low audio and other troubles Ableton 8.3.4
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:38:34 pm »
Following up:

On the sound issue, I have noticed that there can be up to 35 db (thirty-five!) between individual sounds of the same instruments? Going through the sounds with the browser and jog wheel (which is working for the moment after another clean install) there is an immense difference in sound level (Spark mixer at 0db) with the audio going straight to a track in Live. Is this normal? I would expect some difference, but this is blow-my-monitors level of db increase. I have to use the "Utility" plug within Live at a boost of around 15 db to hear 95 % of the sounds 'properly'. They don't sound distorted at that level so I'm guessing that something is wrong with the level of SparkLe 's hardware (?) audio output?
Also some midi issues, all very erratic and difficult to reproduce. Help!

Jay Bits

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:42:16 am »
do you use only 1 audio channel, or do you have every instrument on its own channel in ableton?

i'm only using one channel, where the main output from spark goes in. sometimes i even have to reduce the volume to avoid clipping. that software seems to be very "individual" on every computer

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:23:30 am »
Hi,
first of all, I would advise you to try the latest beta of Spark 1.7.2 available here.
Then let me know the result with this version.

Best
Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:43:17 pm »
Hi,

Jay Bits:
I was experiencing problems with sparkle on 1 track in Ableton and also spread over 8 audio tracks. Same problems with the sound. I have to boost all the audio tracks by about 15 - 20db + too much compression to my liking, to get some results/usable sound.
Suddenly a sound on one track (when changing the sample of that pad via the jog wheel) will be slamming the meters in red and blowing the monitors. It seems to be some random samples throughout the library which are way, way, enormously louder than the rest. Thank you for your comment about you suddenly having to turn things down, I wonder if there are any other users out there who are experiencing this?
Kevin:
I'm not so keen on trying a beta version(yet) but will keep you up to date on my progress.

Jay Bits

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:36:32 am »
I wonder if there are any other users out there who are experiencing this?

yes, i think i've read this before in another thread somewhere in this forum. as i said, it seems that the software is a bit buggy, but its allways a bit different in every case. i love the idea and i realy like the spark. it sounds great (when it works) and is realy intuitive to handle. but i'm a bit afraid of using it on stage, as it makes some problems from time to time. hope arturia can solve all the problems with the next updates...

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 02:02:04 pm »
hope arturia can solve all the problems with the next updates...

We are working hard for that. :)
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 02:03:02 pm »
Kevin:
I'm not so keen on trying a beta version(yet) but will keep you up to date on my progress.

I can understand your point, however, 1.7.2 beta is probably more stable than Spark 1.7.1.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 05:37:02 pm »
OK, I will give the beta a try and keep you posted. Thx for your replies.

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »
So...
I installed the Beta 1.7.2 (btw : is it best to have the hardware plugged in or not during an install?) which does seem to have fixed the general sound issue. Output is much higher and closer to what it should be, around 0 db. Which is nice. Some sample's are still a lot louder than others, though it seems less frequent.

But... I don't seem to be able to use the XY pad, no filter/slicer/roller... sigh...

And the problem with the menu not appearing when pressing the jog wheel is back. I have to restart everything to solve this.

The tempo seems to be messed up. Patterns play out of tempo with Ableton's metronome. Sounds like there is some suttering swing applied but the swing is down to 0.0. Does this have to do with the XY not working or stuck in some slice mode?

So i'm happy about the sound but the software is still very disappointing. I'm actually thinking of returning it. It looked so promising but it just doesn't let you work/play with it as I feel could be possible...
 :(
Also: can you freeze the mixer so it doesn't change when I load in a different kit? 

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
Hi,
concerning the tempo, did you turn on "Host" and "Tempo" button in Spark toolbar?
Concerning the XY pad, is it working well when you use the fx pad on Spark graphical interface (when you click on it), if yes I fear that it is a hardware problem.
Concerning the menu not appearing I don't know what could be the problem. Can you give me a step by step way to reproduce it?

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
The setup: SparkLe is running as VST (no audio from that track) and sending it's audio to 8 audio tracks in Ableton Live.
All Sparkle midi in/out in Ableton's preferences (remote, sync..) is turned OFF.
Over the weekend I have reinstalled the beta software 1.7.2 twice .. and now I seem to be getting somewhere. I left the machine plugged in during the installation.

It feels stable and has sorted out some stuff.

The sound issue is resolved. SparkLe comes in nicely at 0 db on all tracks, sounding good. (very good)
The jog wheel-menu appears nicely every time I press it. (also very good)
The tempo issue has dissappeared. I have both tempo and host selected on the interface . I had those selected before when the issue first appeared, though now it's gone. (hopefully this is gone forever)

The XY pad does still not respond to any touch. I will check your suggestion this evening. This seems to be the only thing not working.

Now i have had the chance to properly play around with it, I must say I really enjoy the hardware interface and it is a fun and immediately creative tool. If Arturia is able to solve the software issue's this is a great product.

I downloaded the extra free expansion packs but am afraid to install them as evrything is finally running more or less stable. Any suggestions there? Is the Beta stable with the exp packs?

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »
I downloaded the extra free expansion packs but am afraid to install them as evrything is finally running more or less stable. Any suggestions there? Is the Beta stable with the exp packs?
Yep,
this should definitely not break anything.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Shotonstage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:32 pm »
Hello,

The pointer in the software of the XY pad moves along with my finger on the hardware and when selecting slicer or roller it moves to the corresponding square...but the effect does not kick in, the pattern keeps running at it's programmed sequence.  :-\
Any ideas?

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:32:45 am »
Does it happens in standalone mode too?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines