April 19, 2024, 11:15:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using CV/Gate  (Read 14248 times)

agreenberg19

Using CV/Gate
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:49 am »
I'm new to the subject of CV/Gate, so the first question I have is quite basic:

Am I correct to assume I need to connect a CV/Gate cable from a synth's CV/Gate OUT port to the MicroBrute's Gate in port?  I also assume that, when I play the synth, I can use the MicroBrutes controls to modulate the incoming signal.

Do I have to set any parameters on the synth or the MicroBrute for this to work?

Mmarsh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Using CV/Gate
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:04 pm »
CV and Gate are separate signals that control pitch and note triggering respectively.  When you play a note on the source synth and the cables are hooked to the target synth, the target synth will play that note (with some caveats). You can change filter settings etc on the target synth as the notes are playing.

*EDIT* Here are some further thoughts that might help.  Some manufacturers use different values to represent notes.  Arturia uses a scheme called Volts/Octave while Korg (for example) uses Hertz/octave and these are not compatible in the sense that a note played on a Korg will not be played correctly on a MiniBrute.  There are devices that translate between the two, but in these cases using MIDI between the machines is probably the best solution.

Even if companies use the same CV scheme they may not map octaves in the same way.  When playing some synths together the target may be off by an octave (or maybe two).  Currently, for example, the MicroBrute will not drive a MiniBrute correctly though this may be corrected with the next firmware update for the MiniBrute.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:41:54 pm by Mmarsh »

benway

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:44:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm enjoying my Microbrute immensely but have one problem: it will not trigger an external module I have.
The external module uses 0/5V on its gate in and the microbrute gate out is more than sufficient (0/10V and I'm measuring 11V with a multimeter!). For info the external module is RB-1 ROBOTTO by Soundmachines.it
Any idea what could be wrong or how to fix the matter? Let me know if you need more details.

Mmarsh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:49:41 pm »
ROBOTTO uses 0-5v on its CV in - the 10v of the Micro is likely driving it into the inaudible range, or the firmware is ignoring anything above 5v.  Use an attenuator to get the output of the uBrute down to a usable range.  I'm assuming you are connected correctly?  CV and GATE OUT of Brute to CV and GATE IN of the ROBOTTO?

zigge

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
Hi,

I'm enjoying my Microbrute immensely but have one problem: it will not trigger an external module I have.
The external module uses 0/5V on its gate in and the microbrute gate out is more than sufficient (0/10V and I'm measuring 11V with a multimeter!). For info the external module is RB-1 ROBOTTO by Soundmachines.it
Any idea what could be wrong or how to fix the matter? Let me know if you need more details.

I have the same problem with my MFB Dual ADSR. The Micro's gate out will not trigger it. I don't have a multimeter so I can't measure the output, but according to the MFB manual, it accepts a value between +5 and +12V. An attunator does not solve the problem in my case..

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:52:57 am »
Microbrute output voltage is quiet strong: 10V, but I have to say the output impedance is not that good.
Depending on the input impedance of the machine you want to trig, the gate out voltage could collapse under 5v. To make it clear: If the target sinks a lot a current, the voltage goes down.
It theses cases you have to use an active buffer.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Calle

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Remixer, songwriter, audio engineer.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
I have synced the Microbrute with my Analog Four vi CV/GAte and it works perfect.
Will check my settings on the Analog Four. :)

zigge

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »
Microbrute output voltage is quiet strong: 10V, but I have to say the output impedance is not that good.
Depending on the input impedance of the machine you want to trig, the gate out voltage could collapse under 5v. To make it clear: If the target sinks a lot a current, the voltage goes down.
It theses cases you have to use an active buffer.

A buffered multiple solved it. Thanks!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines