March 28, 2024, 05:03:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Increasing Song Length?  (Read 4198 times)

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
Increasing Song Length?
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:48:00 pm »
     I'm working on a rather long remix using Ableton Live. It's over 5 minutes long with an instance of Spark(SparkLE) and other drum loops I've created.  I decided to use Sparks' Song mode to sync it with Live throughout the whole song.  I don't want to use Spark as a midi module I want to do this rather old school.  I understand how to set this all up and use the song mode however there are parts of the song where Spark isn't being used and the other drum loops play...it's a bit complex...so I've made a blank pattern in Spark for this...however this blank pattern takes up a lot of space in the song steps that 64 steps on the sequencer isn't enough for all I want to do in the song so I'm looking to somehow find a way to have the sequencer run throughout the remix.
    I've looked for any similar posts about Song mode and in the manual as well and don't see much that relates.  I checked the preferences in SparkLE too.  Each pattern in the song chain are using the full amount of steps possible to stretch things to the fullest.  I had the idea to use make use of the Live "Device On/Off" feature on the clips and automate this...turning Spark off in the scenes when it wasn't needed and halting it in the song sequencer ...which kinda worked...but automating this to turn on wouldn't sync correcty and there would be this delay.
    So what can I do here?   I was hoping to add song steps in Spark but I don't see a way to do that( something to add to an update perhaps ;)) or some other way I'm overlooking?  Is there a way to link songs?  I also thought about using a second instance of Spark but is this possible with just the one controller?  I also have the software version of Spark that came with the V collection if it's possible to run that concurrantly with Sparkle?
Thanks!
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Increasing Song Length?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:10 am »
Hi I think you tried almost everything that is currently possible with Spark.
One more thing maybe you did not try is to change the resolution of the blank pattern.
In this way the sequencer will play it slowly.

I know this is a workaround but this might do the job.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »
One more thing maybe you did not try is to change the resolution of the blank pattern.
In this way the sequencer will play it slowly.

Good suggestion Kevin I will try this.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before on the forums because in thinking about it 64 steps in the sequencer is not nearly enough for EDM/Dance/remix so I ask that this is considered for a future update.  I don't know how folks are working around this.  Also while I think of it...is it possible to just use pattern mode and use midi in Live to change patterns?  There's an envelope in Live that I saw called "Pattern Change" under the "Device on" maybe this is possible?
     I was also wondering why the "Device on" command wouldn't work in Live.  When I automate this using off it halts the sequencer with the next step flashing on and off....but when the song hits an ON in a Live envelope the sequencer still is halted and not turning back on to pick up at that point yet continues to play audio in the spot where it was?
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »
Good suggestion Kevin I will try this.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before on the forums because in thinking about it 64 steps in the sequencer is not nearly enough for EDM/Dance/remix so I ask that this is considered for a future update.

You could increase the song size without too much work.

I don't know how folks are working around this.  Also while I think of it...is it possible to just use pattern mode and use midi in Live to change patterns? 

You can change pattern with MIDI, you just have to assign MIDI note to pattern buttons.
You can also change pattern with VST automation.

There's an envelope in Live that I saw called "Pattern Change" under the "Device on" maybe this is possible?

I don't know.

I was also wondering why the "Device on" command wouldn't work in Live.  When I automate this using off it halts the sequencer with the next step flashing on and off....but when the song hits an ON in a Live envelope the sequencer still is halted and not turning back on to pick up at that point yet continues to play audio in the spot where it was?

I have to check this I don't know what could be wrong.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »
Wow....I posted a reply to this thread nearly 12 hours ago and now find it not there....which has happened before...making this even more painful in the time I'm spending just trying to make this work ??? :o ::)

How can I increase the song size without too much work?  I ask because it's taking a lot of work.  I tried going to 1/2 resolution for the blank pattern but it creates a lag when that hit's the next pattern which is 1/16th.  I don't know if this is expected or latency from Live which is at 1024.  The song is 147bpm and the sequencer has to be tight.  Let's go to another possible solution:

How can I do pattern changes with midi notes and automation?  It's not explained anywhere that I can see manual, forum, youtube etc.  Please either explain or post a video or thread explaining this.  I don't mean to sound grumpy but I need to move forward and start creating with this thing.

Thanks.

Jay Bits

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:12:00 am »
I tried going to 1/2 resolution for the blank pattern but it creates a lag when that hit's the next pattern which is 1/16th.  I don't know if this is expected or latency from Live which is at 1024. 

i have created a project with different sequenzer resolutions on different pattern. i did'nt recognize any lags when ii change the pattern. maybe you have to reduce your latency?

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:37 am »
How can I increase the song size without too much work? 

I meant work on our side, sorry for the confusion

How can I do pattern changes with midi notes and automation?  It's not explained anywhere that I can see manual, forum, youtube etc.  Please either explain or post a video or thread explaining this.  I don't mean to sound grumpy but I need to move forward and start creating with this thing.

I will ask Ben to create some tutos for both solution (MIDI and VST Parameters).

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
I'm working on it.
It's coming !
.......testing.......

ben arturia

• Administrator
.......testing.......

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »
You guys are awesome thanks for the help and will report back with the results!  ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines