March 19, 2024, 02:37:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Multiple instances of Spark VDM doesn't work properly  (Read 5134 times)

mrpony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Multiple instances of Spark VDM doesn't work properly
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »
Hi, first issue for me with Spark, so first post on this forum too!

First of all, I just have to say that I love Spark. It's the best and most intuitive virtual instrument I've ever worked with I think. And I don't even have the hardware (I'm about to buy it next week though, after trying the software out for 2 months)!

So, to the issue I'm having:
I was trying out a new live setup/workflow today, which involved having two instances of Spark VDM running at the same time, plus a lot of other VSTi:s, recording to audio tracks etc. But two instances of Spark obviously doesn't work. I get a lot of glitchy, bitcrushing sounds and extra hits randomly (sometimes from pads I don't even have in my pattern). As fast as I turn one of the instances off, it works like a charm again. I've searched around on this forum and on Google, and I could only find the same issue in a review in Sound on Sound.. No solution though, but from the review I got the impression that this issue was known to Arturia.

I'm on the latest version (1.7.1), V Collection, Macbook Pro Retina OSX 10.8.5, Cubase 7.0.5 32-bit, UAD Apollo.

ben arturia

• Administrator
Re: Multiple instances of Spark VDM doesn't work properly
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:13:32 pm »
Hi ,
I've been testing 2 instances of Spark VDM with Cubase 7 on 10.8. I didn't notice any issue.
Maybe you have CPU overload if serveral VSTi are loaded.
.......testing.......

mrpony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
Nope, no CPU overload at all. Everything else is running smoothly. I bought the Spark controller today (hardware), so I'm going to try if it works with that. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I was controlling the two instances with my Analog Experience keyboard.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:03 am »
let me know...
.......testing.......

mrpony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »
I got "stuck" with the controller and the stand-alone version yesterday. It was just too fun. Sat all night and couldn't stop. But tomorrow night I will check the thing out and get back to you.

mrpony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:34:06 am »
Ok, I've still got the same problems (and more) unfortunately.

Now I've got two instances of Spark running (not VDM this time). One works just fine, but as fast as I activated the second one the problems started to appear. I was using the Glitch hop kit, then I changed it to Latin jam (on the same instance that is). Now it says "Glitch hop, Kit: Latin jam" on the led display. And on the top left corner of the software it also says Glitch hop (but the kit is still Latin jam). On the other Spark instance I've got the Jazz drums kit.

I recorded one pattern in the Latin jam kit, then I press the Spark controller button on the Jazz drums kit som I can control that with the controller. I've got the controller detection on automatic, and on the led display it seems to work just fine. Also, I can play the pads 1-8 without problems. But that's basically it. When I tweak the knobs on for example the snare, it only tweaks it a little bit, then gets stuck. Like if I want to tweak the cutoff on the hihat, I only manage to tweak it between a few Hertz. In the software, I see the knobs moving, but only some millimeters. I managed to record a hihat though.

Also, I can't change between pad 1-8 and pad 9-16, it doesn't work to press select and change what pad to edit/activate, and whenever I'm making a filter sweep on the fx pad, the first touch of the finger on the pad always triggers a tom sound that I have no idea where it comes from etc etc. Everything works in the software (if I use the mouse).

I have turned of the private ports of the Spark within Cubase. Should I turn them off some other where? Could that be the problem?

And yeah, I'm getting those irritating noises and glitchy sounds now too, but they are not as frequent as when I had two VDM:s running at the same time. Allthough I'm quite sure I would get a lot more glitchy sounds if I recorded more than just a hihat on the Jazz drums instance..

What am I missing?

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:17:15 pm »
You must disable private port of spark in Cubase.
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=172
.......testing.......

mrpony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:09:40 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I've allready done that, as I said in my previous post: "I have turned of the private ports of the Spark within Cubase. Should I turn them off some other where? Could that be the problem?"

DKDiveDude

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:30:22 pm »
Ok I know this is an old topic, but as I have exact same problem as original poster AND a solution was NEVER provided AND the manual contain NO solution, I am starting it up again.

Spark 2.4 VST 64-Bit only. Windows 10 64-Bit current. Very fast gaming Laptop. Reaper 5.95 64-Bit. CPU usage peaking at about 15%. Using Spark VST on multiple tracks as normal stereo pair each.

Problem: Sporadic sync issue (loosing beat) and random bit-sample. Problem ONLY happens when I have  more than one instance!

HOW TO FIX?

I need to be able to use multiple instances of Spark in order to pick and choose sounds from various kits.

Yes I know I can make my own kit, HOWEVER I do NOT want to use Spark's built-in sequencer OR have my MIDI drum pattern exclusively on the Spark master track.

What I need is the have each percussion instrument on it's on DAW track so I can clearly see what pattern goes to what, and easily copy, link, and paste MIDI patterns for each individual instrument.

Actually because of these limitation I am now coming to the conclusion that Arturia Spark is too limited for my use, and it was the wrong buy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:31:36 pm by DKDiveDude »

mabu

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 05:55:14 pm »
I am having the exact same problem, is there any solution to this ? I am on a MacBook Pro with Ableton Live ? Thank you !

da10us

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 02:03:07 pm »
I'm thinking of buying a Spark LE, but I need multiple instances. Is this still an issue?

Cheers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines