March 28, 2024, 08:48:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to use keylab keys and pad  (Read 22745 times)

katzuwa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to use keylab keys and pad
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:28 am »
I saw on youtube how these peoples using keyboard controller play piano sound on keyboard and play the loops on pad. And I bought the keylab 61 recently so that I can use like those guys did. Unfortunately, I just couldn't do that on the keylab. This is some explanation what I did , I use cubase 5 to do that, create midi track 1 , assign midi ch.1 vst Halion with piano sounds. Create midi track 2, assign midi ch. 10 vst Groove Agent , when I played keyboard on keylab which is assign to midi ch.1 the piano sounds come out but when i played the pad which assign to midi ch.10 the piano sound also come out with a lower sound, it supposed to played looping/drum looping from Groove Agent.

So, my Question , anybody have some information/tricks/tips how to do that on keylab ? I am really appreciated your help. These is what I need to know : How can we play piano on keylabs and play looping/percussion or another sounds on pad?

Because I heard that "Analog Experience The Laboratory" can do that, How come the latest product can't do that.

Please....any help...Thanks

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to use keylab keys and pad
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »
You need to trigger loops in a daw.  Eg - you need to map the pads to trigger loops/clips in live (I personally use the matrix view in Sonar X2 Producer).  The pads can play chords, perhaps this is what you were thinking?

katzuwa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:49 pm »
Hi Army Of Ninjas, Thanks for the reply. What you said is also ok. Either way man, I just want to know how  can I play piano sounds on the keyboard and at the same time play different sounds on pads. This for live situation not for recording.

Eg :
keyboards - play piano/strings
pads - play guitar chord, drum looping. (could be chord or single note on pads as long as the sounds different from the keyboards).

My problems right now, when I play piano sound on keyboard. The pads is also piano sound. I don't want that. I just want the pads sound different than piano. So, I set keyboard play midi ch.1 and pads midi ch.10 in order to play different sound at the same time. But, they both sounds the same. I don't know how to assign/set them different. Right now, I don't care if the pads can't play chord. I just want to find out how can keylab can play different sound on keys and pads at the same time or for live situation.

So, please any expert of this I really sincere for the help. Thank You>

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »
Again, the chord ability will be only available in analog lab--no drums.  You can use the split function of the keylab to gain different sounds mapped to different parts of the board.  Not sure if the pads are included in the split function or not (haven't tried).  I would suggest using the keylab with a DAW so that you can trigger drum parts or other audio samples with the pads (in a mpc-style program like One Small Clue's excellent Poise plugin).  You will also be able to play the keys in whatever vst instrument you like.  Many people use the matrix view in Sonar (or similarly, Ableton Live) for live performance--that's kind of what it's for.  ;)

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »
Oh, and to answer your original question:

You will need to assign an unused note value to each of the 16 pads (make sure it isn't in the 49 you'll play with the keys) inside of the midi editor software that you use to configure the keylab.  With groove agent, you'll need to assign each of these note values you just set up to each of the pads in groove agent.  The pads sent out note data (just like the keys).  So if they are both sending the same note info (for example c#1) then the pad will trigger the same notes as the keys.  Alternatively, you could run the pads on a different midi channel than the keys and set halion to only use midi channel 1 and groove agent to only use midi channel 2 for example.  Basically, you just need to give each control/pad its own set of info that isn't used by anything else.  Then you map/learn those notes in the software you want to control.  It's a pain, but once the presets are saved, you are golden my man.

I hope this helps, if not let me know.  :)

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:39 pm »
I think your problem may be that your vsti's are set to get midi info from any midi channel, not just the one that does the pads, etc.

katzuwa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 05:14:39 am »
Army of ninjas thanks for the info, man. I already did all that you said. The problem is the keylab 61. Mine doesn't work properly.

I use cubase 5. And already assign track1 with midi ch1. Track2 with midi track2 or in this case I assign midi ch10.

The problem is my keylab61 doesn't send to daw the split ( keyboard play ch1, pads play ch2 or different than ch1) or whatever word is meaning for the split or separated.

Keylabs keyboard and pads play the same sound even I already assign different midi channel to each parts. I saw on the display when I press/play the keyboards tuts, It said midi ch1. When I play the pads it said midi ch2 or different than ch1. But how come , the sounds coming out is the same sound. That's my problem.

I can't use my keylab for performance using different sounds at the same time. Is the keylab is used for studio only or just for analog lab?

But in the manual, it said can be used with DAW? Don't know man? I'm confused here? Arturia technician seems don't help or they still configuring what the hell is my problem.

I just ask the simple question. How can I use the keylab61 to perform using different sound on the keyboard and pads. After I already set/assign each part to different midi channel on the hardware (keylab) and DAW tracks?

Please...... :-[

Kardiograam

Re: How to use keylab keys and pad (SOLVED)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:59:16 pm »
Hello guys,
Just solved the Cubase / DAW issue about using chord pads.

Once you opened Analog Lab in your DAW (Cubase in my case) start pressing your Arturia Keylab PADs and WATCH ON THE LITTLE BLUE SCREEN the corresponding MIDI channel..  In my case tha Arturia Keylab49 shows:
"Ch: 10" when pressing pads. 

This means that all the chord pads are assigned to Channel 10.

So when using Cubase or other DAW, just open a MIDI track assigned to Analog Lab, set MIDI channel as "10" both on the MIDI track and on Analog Lab plugin  and you are ready to use "Chord Pads".

I think this is a smart solution by Arturia team to avoid MIDI note conflicts. So when you want to use the pads as a single note, just choose MIDI channel between 1-9 on your DAW.. when you want to use "CHORD PADS", just set MIDI Channel 10 on your Arturia Lab plugin and MIDI track.   

shemraq

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 04:03:52 am »
Thanks Kardiogram.  ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines