March 19, 2024, 11:05:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: FINAL request: MIDI local off  (Read 3811 times)

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
FINAL request: MIDI local off
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »
Hi all,

It has become clear that nothing is happening with Origin development. It is not realistic to wait for new modules or templates or MIDI issues to fixed, right?

Then, on the other hand, there are plenty of users having hardware issues like myself. It's because it's badly built. I have tried and tried to get help with my big knob issue which started in warranty period. But you know Arturia has the worst customer service in the music instrument business. Still waiting like many others here...

This is for all of us: I am quite sure that sooner or later our Origins start to have malfunctioning knobs. In my desktop I allready see some first symptoms. When it happens, those knobs start to give values without touching them. This makes it totally unusable. (You see random values on the screen)

Now the final request: please make a LOCAL OFF MODE where Origin works like a sound module (all those knobs disabled). I know this is not a real solution to problems but at least this way we can have its sounds quite longer. When one by one our units will have more and more symptoms...

But anyway, let's hope that Arturia will give us little more respect and start to handling our service issues. I won't even consider buying any product from them until I see little better customer service for Origin owners.

ASch

Re: FINAL request: MIDI local off
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27:38 am »
I've got to agree - I'm disheartened by the continual introduction of new products whilst they hang Origin users out to dry! 

I fantasize that maybe they'll open source the code on the unit, and then some of us at least would have a chance to fix some of the software issues.  However, given the probably number of propriatary algorithms in the code, I doubt that will happen.

I would never buy an Arturia product again, and I always advise friends and colleagues against it too.  Come on Arturia, change my mind!

:(

Philippe

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »
Now the final request: please make a LOCAL OFF MODE where Origin works like a sound module (all those knobs disabled). I know this is not a real solution to problems but at least this way we can have its sounds quite longer. When one by one our units will have more and more symptoms...

How would you then control the Origin? Using CC would allow the control of only a subset of all available settings (indeed the ones which are mapped using the Live/Midi page). In order to target every available parameters you would have to use midi sysex or maybe NRPN (the full 12 bytes version).

If we provide some day a software editor for the Origin the idea is to use either sysex or NRPN to set parameters, load a preset, reorganise your presets in the Origin memory.... Mapping GUI controls to these kind of MIDI messages is easy. I'm not sure that using sysex or NRPN from within a DAW is easy. If it exists a control surface enabling the user to map any control to a sysex or a NRPN then you could control the Origin this way.

You can already do this today - sort of - but as I said it will be restricted to the parameters which are mapped in the MIDI page.
Origin Lead  Developer

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:04:55 pm »
I fantasize that maybe they'll open source the code on the unit, and then some of us at least would have a chance to fix some of the software issues.  However, given the probably number of propriatary algorithms in the code, I doubt that will happen.

Well, it could be a good idea but 1) the DSP code is - as you mentioned - full of signal processing algorithm proprietary implementations and 2) you need a dedicated dev environment (VisualDSP++ / TigerSHARK version from Analog Devices with a dedicated JTAG probe) which costs about 4000$. The UI code is based on LINUX, so it would be open-sourceable. However no plan for this as far as I know....
Origin Lead  Developer

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:23:57 pm »

How would you then control the Origin? Using CC would allow the control of only a subset of all available settings (indeed the ones which are mapped using the Live/Midi page). In order to target every available parameters you would have to use midi sysex or maybe NRPN (the full 12 bytes version).

If we provide some day a software editor for the Origin the idea is to use either sysex or NRPN to set parameters, load a preset, reorganise your presets in the Origin memory.... Mapping GUI controls to these kind of MIDI messages is easy. I'm not sure that using sysex or NRPN from within a DAW is easy. If it exists a control surface enabling the user to map any control to a sysex or a NRPN then you could control the Origin this way.

You can already do this today - sort of - but as I said it will be restricted to the parameters which are mapped in the MIDI page.

As I said, this local off mode isn't very nice solution to problems. Best thing would be of course to keep your customer service open for us: if our Origin's gets problems they are fixed with reasonable time and cost. Sorry to say, but now this service seems to be very badly done. People are waiting and nothing is happening.

My Origin desktop is allready having first symptoms of one knob getting broken. Sometimes it starts to send values without touching it. Fortunately it's not that often (yet). But when it happens, I cannot use it. Local off mode would mean disabling those knobs and I could still play and control (send program changes and CCs) my unit via MIDI, right? No matter how many knob problems there are or will be, I could still use its sounds. This is the idea, not very nice but giving it little more future. I am a professional player and Origin desktop belongs to my gig setup. If it starts to send values on its own, it becomes totally useless. I can even tolerate some of those issues at home but not on stage.

Anyway it was nice to hear at least something from Arturia team. And it's fair to say that Philippe  has been the only one who have shown us some respect. Mostly they just don't care to answer our mails or handle our warranty cases. (I've sent at least three emails for David to ask what happened with my Origin Keyboards big knob issue.) I know I sound negative, but I think there's a real reason behind...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:29:15 pm by JacksonP »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines