April 18, 2024, 04:25:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: External input/overload  (Read 5708 times)

da10us

• Apprentice
External input/overload
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:37:56 pm »
Hi,

Still learning the Mini V, but one thing special is not clear to me: What does the 'External Input' do? With it's switch in the middle and the volume up I only hear a heavy uncontrollable monotone ultra low rumble. Even with no input enabled in the settings.

Regards,

Martijn

LBH

Re: External input/overload
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »
Hi,

Still learning the Mini V, but one thing special is not clear to me: What does the 'External Input' do? With it's switch in the middle and the volume up I only hear a heavy uncontrollable monotone ultra low rumble. Even with no input enabled in the settings.

Regards,

Martijn

This is what the manual say:

"The switch corresponding to the external signal has three positions. The first disconnects this input from the mixer. The second position connects the output of the Mini V to the mixer. This allows, thanks to the particular distortion brought by the overload circuit, to obtain a typical sound. The third connects the external input to the mixer."

It's not very clear but it means:

1. The first setting is External input "Off".

2. The second (the middle) is a "Feedback" setting connecting the Mini V's output to it's own input. It only works correct if you switch on the soft clipping.

If you on some preset's hear rumble or bad growly sound, then see if the external input is on the middle setting. If so then switch on the soft clipping as it's probably off. Alternatively switch off the external input.
All presets with the external input set on the middle setting should have soft clipping on, as this probably was intended. In analog lab you find the soft clipping is on. I think at a time a fault somehow have occourd so this is'nt so in the Mini V. It's a Arturia mistake they should correct as well they should correct the output level settings of the presets.

EDIT: I would like the feedback worked better. Even with softclipping on it growls on to high settings instead of getting a more interesting effect. But it do has an impact. More on some sounds than others. I hope Arturia have a look at it as i'm not sure it work as it should.

3. The third setting allow a external audio signal to be processed by the the Mini V's parameters. You can say the synth then somehow work as an effect for an external audio source.

To use this setting you for instance can choose it as an effect from your DAW's effect section. Other Arturia Synth has the same possibility and can also be found in the DAW's effect section.

You can also use it in stand alone mode for instance just by connecting a microphone to your computer.

NOTE: You has to press a key/ note on the synth to hear the effect. So if you use it in a DAW you have to connect the FX Mini V in a way this is possible, if you will trigger it using Midi note info.

You have to eksperiment.

Also remember that you in the Mod matrix has options to use the External input.

Hope this will help you.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:36:04 pm by LBH »

masi

Re: External input/overload
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:28:58 pm »
As for all other buttons I'd welcome tooltips.

See my reply http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=13922.0

Regards.
Masi

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines