March 28, 2024, 04:38:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark vs SparkLE pros and cons  (Read 12473 times)

ioscommuter

Spark vs SparkLE pros and cons
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:41:39 am »
I was thinking about trying to find either spark or sparkLE on ebay, I know sparkLe is cheaper and smaller and that the software is the same, but I've seen some sparks go for around the same price as sparkLE. what are the differences? What controls are present on the surface with the spark that require more menu navigation on the sparkLE? are there any features of the sparkLE which are not present on the spark? where would I find manuals? If I buy either used do I have to worry about the software being unregistered by the previous owner?

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Spark vs SparkLE pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:01:56 am »
Hi,
the main difference between Spark and SparkLE is the number of knobs.
With Spark you have direct access to 3 main parameter of 8 track at the same time while you have only access to 3 of the selected one on SparkLE.
On Spark you also have access to Volume, Pan, Cutoff, Resonance, Send1 and Send2 amount on the selected track with knobs while you can do that with SparkLE from the XY Pad.

You can check the manual here.

Concerning registration, the answer is yes, the previous user have to unregister the product before you are able to register it.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

stikygum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:24:14 am »
The other 2 differences I can think of is the x0x buttons on Spark LE are right above the pads, which I prefer. On Spark it's at the top of the hardware. On Spark LE, there is not Accent button like the original Spark, but I believe the next OS will provide a shift function to access 'Accent', which I can't wait for.

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:59 am »
Along with the massive amount of knobs for instrument parameters and the other previously mentioned items, the Spark unit also has a pretty LCD screen in the center that displays various information.  The Spark controller has a dedicated shuffle knob.  There's a Tap button to tap out a tempo.  The unit also has a dedicated Song button, plus easier access to Banks A-D through dedicated buttons as well as dedicated pattern buttons artistically placed around the Jog Dial.  The rear panel also has a MIDI-In and MIDI-out port plus an optional power supply connection if you happen to be using a non-powered USB hub.  There's also an On/Off Switch.

The SparkLE controller's sequencer section buttons perform more double duties.  The sequencer buttons are used to access banks and patterns after selecting the unit's bank & pattern buttons.  The SparkLE controller has a dedicated tune button if you desire to play the sequencer buttons or pads like an instrument with note value changes.  The SparkLE controller has dedicated Copy & Erase buttons.  Above the pattern length buttons the SparkLE unit has visual indication LCDs which shows you which group of steps you're currently working in (1-16, 17-32, etc.).  As Kevin stated, the instrument level changes can be made on the XY pad of the SparkLE unit using the Instrument Level buttons.  Below the Jog Dial the SparkLE controller has Proj., Instr., and Kit selection buttons.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:48:59 am by CC4 »

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:07 am »
For having played quite a lot with the two, I like SparkLE a lot more. I find the omission of the screen not to be too much of a handicap. You need to rely on the computer screen for things such as browsing, or knowing which parameters are assigned to which knobs, but once you have your kit set up, and your useful assignations memorized, you really don't need it much.

I like the layout of the controller more, and the step buttons are better placed than on the big Spark.

If both controllers were at the same price, I'd still go with SparkLE, also because it fits in a backpack so easily.

kcearl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:43 am »
more buttons and knobs = better, in my book :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines