March 28, 2024, 02:20:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: FM oscillator  (Read 4526 times)

kadolodai

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The Caramel Incident
FM oscillator
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:50 pm »
maybe... one day... we will have a FM oscillator (ratio and sync to frequency of another osc)...

is that hard to do for you Philippe ?

(in fact, I don't find a modern modular FM synth... Origin is not so far...)

... please implement that ;)

see U
Nico

Sweep

Re: FM oscillator
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:29 am »
I just happened to be looking at this forum (I don't very often now) and saw this.

I don't have an Origin so I can't check this out, but do you have the full capabilities of the Mg Modular V in the Origin? If you do, you can get some excellent FM sounds with it - check out the FM inputs on the oscillator modules.

Incidentally people ask about FM patches I've created on the MMV. I have some excellent ones and used to give them to people, but after Arturia `improved' the MMV they stopped working on the later versions. I'll supply them to anyone who has a software version before the one where the filter range was reduced, though. And I could probably do screen captures that may be useful.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:21:33 pm »

Hi Sweep,

do you have any audio demos of your MMV patches?

I think what Nico is asking for is FM capabilities for musical applications, like the vintage DX-7 (or the NI FM7 soft synth). Although the Origin is a fully modular system like the MMV, apparently FM for musical applications requires more than just setting up VCOs to modulate each other (Nico, is it like linear FM vs exponential FM?).

It seems to me that all Philippe would need to do is add an additional FM input on the oscillator that does the ratio/sync calculations that Nico is talking about, which in itself would probably be an easy task. But then I guess he would have to expand the XML vocabulary of the   .ogs files that Origin Connection uses, etc.

Paul

kadolodai

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The Caramel Incident
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:27 pm »
Nico is asking for is FM capabilities for musical applications, like the vintage DX-7 (or the NI FM7 soft synth)
Yes !!! Right :)

(Nico, is it like linear FM vs exponential FM?)
I don't know where is the difference between FM like we can already do with the Origin and the DX7 but  I guess that Oscs must be exactly sync with a ratio (otherwise the amount of the modulation detune the carrier).

I imagine, there is some work to do that for Philippe but it's an open gate to a new world for the Origin (over another filter or whatever we already have...)
no hardware solution exist for modular FM synthesis....  nowhere since the end of the Nord Modular...

Nico

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:52:46 pm »
Since Yamaha style FM (actually phase modulation, but it doesn't really matter) requires both exact ratios and phase relationships to get that Yamaha "sweet spot" FM, it may be best to simply make a complete multi oscillator FM module for computational efficiency, ease of use  and predictability of results.

Something like a 4 operator module, ala TX-81Z, with 4 AM and 4 FM inputs, shouldn't use much DSP power since it only consists of 4 plain sine oscillators. There is no need for any advanced VA oscillators (quite the opposite, in fact...). Then have a switch to select the 'classic' algorithms and maybe some unusual ones:

Edit to add: Even though Yamaha style digital FM is cool as such, it 's really not at all a VA/modular thing, and might understandably be seen as outside the Origin's domain... Personally I'd want the base functionality to be bug free before anything new is added.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:58:41 pm by DrJustice »

kadolodai

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The Caramel Incident
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »
erratum... I learned today there is the Frequency Modulation and the Phase Modulation...
DX7 seem to be phase Modulation synthesis...  ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines