March 28, 2024, 09:16:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark as a Stepsequenzer for Hardware Synths  (Read 5170 times)

jaybrooks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Spark as a Stepsequenzer for Hardware Synths
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:31 am »
Hello there,

does anybody know if its possible to use the Spark as a Stepsequenzer for a Hardware Synth, if yes, explain how it works

Cheers
Ableton 9.02; Spark; Mac Book Pro 8GB RAM; OSX 10.7
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

rodanmusic

Re: Spark as a Stepsequenzer for Hardware Synths
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:00:28 pm »
It is not possible sorry.

This would be a very nice feature.

atimchak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:27:13 pm »
Actually, this is definitely possible.  Just drag and drop your drum patterns onto a midi track routed to your hardware synth.  Granted, this isn't real time, but still can be done.  My problem is that sometimes when spark is playing it automatically triggers my connected hardware synths.   ::)

vaikl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:49:24 am »
Hello there,

does anybody know if its possible to use the Spark as a Stepsequenzer for a Hardware Synth, if yes, explain how it works

Cheers

If you wanna send MIDI data without a PC in between, use the MIDI out port on the back of the controller and make your synth ready to "hear" Spark's MIDI notes. Start your pattern/song.
(Note: Don't mix this up with the Spark MIDI controller mode, because this controller mode is only useful if you want to remote control your DAW)

If you wanna use a DAW on a PC/Mac, insert an instrument track with the Spark CDM plugin on it, create a new MIDI track, route MIDI from the Spark plugin track directly to this MIDI track and *not till then* route this MIDI data to your external hardware.

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »

If you wanna use a DAW on a PC/Mac, insert an instrument track with the Spark CDM plugin on it, create a new MIDI track, route MIDI from the Spark plugin track directly to this MIDI track and *not till then* route this MIDI data to your external hardware.

You dont have to run spark as a plugin to do that.

setup an external midi track in your DAW routed to your hardware.

open spark standalone, choose public port out

sequence away.

spark writes patterns to it's own sequencer while triggering the hardware thru the daw sequencer external midi track - or send midi notes from the pads to sequencer direct & record them to the sequencer track using spark as 'playing pads' only

you have to change midi note numbers for the pads obviously... and sadly this does not currently get saved with the project. hopefully fixed in 1.7

vaikl

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:05:31 am »

Why should I load a CPU-hungry standalone incarnation when I wanna work inside/with a DAW??

rodanmusic

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »
Huh interesting I will have to try this. 

I was told that this is not possible when I asked a similar question.

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »

Why should I load a CPU-hungry standalone incarnation when I wanna work inside/with a DAW??

lol, you dont have to do anything. I was replying to the OP, who asked:

"does anybody know if its possible to use the Spark as a Stepsequenzer for a Hardware Synth, if yes, explain how it works"

vaikl

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:43:18 pm »

"does anybody know if its possible to use the Spark as a Stepsequenzer for a Hardware Synth, if yes, explain how it works"

And I thought that I had written this little sentence in my first answer:
If you wanna send MIDI data without a PC in between, use the MIDI out port on the back of the controller... and that *I* had mentioned the optional usage as a plugin :-*

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:46:03 pm »

And I thought that I had written this little sentence in my first answer:
If you wanna send MIDI data without a PC in between, use the MIDI out port on the back of the controller... and that *I* had mentioned the optional usage as a plugin :-*

Sorry, I dunno what you mean. It is impossible to use spark to sequence anything unless the s/w is running. So the s/w has to run. Now assuming you are trying to do something where spark is running why bother setting it up as a plugin & then faffing about with internal midi routing in the sequencer like that guy is trying to do in ableton (which btw not all sequencers do), when u can just run it standalone with no issues.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines