March 29, 2024, 12:32:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Plans for fixing midi timing in Logic when playing live  (Read 1793 times)

atimchak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Plans for fixing midi timing in Logic when playing live
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
Hi there - I just wanted to highlight an issue that was recently demonstrated in Dancetech's wonderful video about using Spark as a plugin in Logic.  When recording Spark midi from the pads and sequencer while playing live, the midi recording, when played back, sounds different.  In other words, when Spark is stopped and the host and tempo buttons are unticked, the pattern that Spark just laid down and was recorded will play back sounding different than when it was "played in."

Please tell me there are plans to fix this in an upcoming version - if the midi I record doesn't play back the same way, then, sadly, the hardware will lose much of it's appeal, as my only option will be to drag and drop individual patterns to my DAW to build my tracks.  Geist works fine for that.  It's the hands-on, live functionality that truly separates Spark from the crowd. 

Thanks in advance for reading this and for your help.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks in advance for your help

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Plans for fixing midi timing in Logic when playing live
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
hi Alex,
unfortunately there is no real good solution for that.
I can give you some clues:
- If you enable "Record MIDI from pads" you will get less latency but more jitter.
- If you do not enable "Record MIDI from pads" you will get less jitter but more latency (depending on the audio buffer size).

The problem is that Logic does not support an API provided but Audio Unit framework to record MIDI from plugins so we have to do all this IAC driver stuff that is not working very well.

Kevin
Soft Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines