March 19, 2024, 02:36:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: request : more knob acceleration options  (Read 7794 times)

rickyfav

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
request : more knob acceleration options
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:21 pm »
hi,

I would like to be able to speed up the response of the knobs beyond what is currently possible using the MCC "fast" setting, in both relative and absolute modes. 

With the current (fast) setup, I'm finding it feels a little unresponsive for real-time modulation changes and also pretty difficult to modulate values between two or more points consistently. (for example, when trying to fully open and close a filter in rhythmic sync or use osc. tuning to make a melodic line etc.)

I would like to have a mode where ~1 rotation of the knob covers the full 0-127 midi range, regardless of how fast you turn it.
(endless controller behaving  more like conventional rotary controller)

any chance of this?

thanks,
Ricky

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:24:07 am by rickyfav »

rickyfav

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: request : more knob acceleration options
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:12:08 am »
I really like this product in many respects, but it's functionality as a "universal midi controller" is currently sadly limited for me.
I don't think  being able to do a  full sweep of a midi cc reasonably smoothly in one of the modes is an unrealistic expectation of a universal controller.
The actual encoders are responsive enough it seems (based on midi OX output) so I assume the issue for me must be the way the acceleration is implemented.
I appreciate that the modes were presumably chosen to accommodate different user needs, but I think they could be improved/added to.

thanks,
Ricky

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:25:32 am by rickyfav »

DBeamGeek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »
Agreed. A mode entitled "Traditional" or similar where the knobs behave as non-infinite rotaries would be appreciated.

Adrien

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »
Hi

On this page http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/MiniLab/resources.html
Watch the relative / absolute mode video.

there is also a link to a PDF.

Hope it helps
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

rickyfav

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:28:19 am »
hi

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid this isn't really an issue caused by being in the wrong mode.

To clarify :

In relative mode (Analog Lab.) ~  rotary controls currently feel a little unresponsive to some people's liking.
(The Manual states that "fast" mode in MCC requires roughly 1 rotation on the encoder to cover the full range, but currently it seems more like 2-3)

In absolute mode (other plugins/hardware) ~ similar to above with "fast" mode requiring multiple rotations to cover the midi CC range. In this mode it also seems the acceleration makes it hard to smoothly sweep across a large range at some speeds.

So my request is that the actual modes could possibly be improved/expanded to include operation closer to what the manual suggests (1:1 type mapping) and perhaps some more options with regard to acceleration/ratio. (fixed at higher rate for more response? alternative acceleration curve? etc.)
I hope this can be considered.

thanks,
Ricky
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:27:26 am by rickyfav »

noCore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • noCore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »
+1 on this - it would be great if there was a literal.. "1 to 1" mode/ration on those instrument knobs ...  i tried the different speed settings and could barely tell any difference and was on the verge of thinking that they were faulty/defective... though they don't seem to be jumping in value when I inspected further with MIDI monitor. 

This is actually the final selling point (as I have another couple more weeks left in my trial before I decide to keep or return it - and the knob response was the only real nagging factor)

apart from that.. really digging the SparkLE!!!      I'm assuming adding another behaviour option to the instrument knobs is not something that would be too difficult to slip into the next update?   

stu0219

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »
+1 and outrageous problem
I can not describe the problem so I take a video
www.youtube.com/embed/_N7NyknCEpM
sometimes it would turn inverse rotation,and other just find!!

Dav1d

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:15:51 pm »
mmmmm,

It really look like a relative and absolute issue.
In fact, the latest version of the Firmware correct this 20 times turning knobs.
I write this article in case this helps:
==> http://www.arturia.com/evolution/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=178

:)

lpadron

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:01:17 am »
mmmmm,

It really look like a relative and absolute issue.
In fact, the latest version of the Firmware correct this 20 times turning knobs.
I write this article in case this helps:
==> http://www.arturia.com/evolution/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=178

:)

David,
Thanks for your post. Please understand that the knobs are not responsive on a 1 to 1 relationship. The accuracy of the knobs is not the same as the actual movements of the users. This is a problem that makes it difficult to work with the Minilab hardware. I hope Arturia can correct this issue as soon as possible.
Best regards

TomNuge

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:07 pm »
Has anyone found a remedy to this?  I just purchased a MiniLab last night and the lack of a 1:1 relationship between the knobs and programs like ableton is really frustrating - Also as stated above this isn't a absolute or relative mode issue.

Goon

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:16 pm »
As Arturia dont want to address the issue and just blame you for being in the wrong mode,there is a solution. SELL THE MINILAB. Buy a controller from a more respectful (to its customers) and responsive company.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines