March 29, 2024, 02:27:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The good old days?  (Read 2781 times)

endedup

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The good old days?
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:36:53 am »
All the early Synthesizers such as the VCS3, Mg series 1-3, ARP 2500, 2600, Buchla Electronic Music Box, etc. had problems, for example: The ARP 2600 LCS 1. Used single turn, cheep, CTS trim pots, they were always going out of calabration. The jacks on the front panel (switchcraft 142A) failed on a regular basis due to both dirt and from the solder flux they attracted. The VCS3 and Synthi 100 used an un-buffered patch pin matrix; there was always a little cross talk along with the users intended signal. The VCS3 also used output attenuation, which added noise to the sound. Bob Mgs first keyboard didn’t have a Sample and Hold circuit in it; this meant it would “glissando” up from where the key was depressed. There was no way to save patches other than on crude paper patch sheets…I could go on and on however, We made do with what tools we had, we communicated our problems to engineers and more importantly we made music with these electronic “erector sets” called synthesizers.  

I have a good understanding of the good old days, what I would like to know is what contributions can be made to become an active part of the present?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines