March 19, 2024, 06:45:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI Learn not working  (Read 8011 times)

Babz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI Learn not working
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:46:56 pm »
I just downloaded and installed the Analog Factory software.
I am using a Roland XP80 as my controller and DP 8 as my DAW host.
I have it set to Default Controller.
I want to assign a slider on my XP80 to control VCF Cutoff.  I have tried right-clicking, Command-clicking, Control-clicking... Nothing seems to work. I get no pop-up window. 
I should be able to click on the on-screen knob, Command-click, and move a slider on my controller keyboard and it should learn, but it doesn't!  Why?  Is this function broken?  Am I doing something wrong?  Please help!  ???

Thanks,
Babz

Babz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MIDI Learn not working
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »
Replying to my own question with an UPDATE....

Simply right-clicking/control-clicking, or command-clicking on a control or slider does nothing.  Can someone confirm this is correct?

However, after going around and hovering  over every single control in the interface, I stumbled across the MIDI button (right next to where it says "Default Controller".)  Something saying "MIDI CC Assignment Mode" popped up and all of the controls down below turned purple. " Hmmm.  Maybe I'm onto something here?"

With everything highlighted in purple I then tried, Cmd-Click, Control-Click, Right-click, on every knob.  Still no popup. 

THEN, I noticed two unassigned sliders on the end.  I choose Cutoff from it's popup menu, then right clicked on it and now, FINALLY something pops up saying "MIDI Control Setup. Learning…"  So then I moved a slider on my XP80 and IT LEARNED IT!

At the same time the knob control to the left started responding to my keyboard's controller movment as well.

So it seems that I have stumbled across a way to get it to learn using the two unassigned sliders, but how do I get learn to work for all of the other assigned sliders and knobs?

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

The steps are:

1. Click the MIDI button. (Controls turn purple).
2. Choose an unassigned slider and assign a controller to it.
3. Right-click on that slider. ("MIDI Control Setup. Learning…" window pops up.)
4. Move a control on your keyboard controller.
5. Click MIDI button again to exit MIDI CC Assignment Mode.

But how do I get it to work with all of the other sliders and knobs?

Is there a PDF manual somewhere that explains this?

I found something called "Analog_Laboratory_EN.pdf", but this seems to be outdated and written for the 49-key hardware device,  not the software that I recently downloaded this week.

Thanks for any help!

Best,
Babz

Babz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »
UPDATE #2

OK, after poking around some more.  It seems that when you are in this mode where everything is purple, you DON'T need to right-click. You simply CLICK on any knob or slider and the "MIDI Control Setup. Learning…" window for that knob/slider will pop up.

So I think I have it mostly figured out.  Except for one thing.  Something I am doing (right-clicking on a slider or something) is causing a slider or knob to turn and remain a reddish color (while all the others remain purple).  What is going on with this reddish color, and how do I get it to go away?

Again, a manual or tutorial would really help.

Has anyone tried any of this?  How is assigning a MIDI controller from your external keyboard working for you?

Thanks,
Babz

Babz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:29:11 pm »
FYI to anyone who has been my thread.  it is clear that up till now I have not been reading the correct PDF manual.

Arturia support sent me a link to the correct PDF manual, which is here:

http://www.arturia.net/downloads/analogstudio/analog_lab_EN.pdf

They also said they are working on a video to help better explain this feature.

OK, I'm now off to begin studying the new PDF!

So far I'm LOVING the great sounds.  SUPER FAT ANALOG GALORE!

Cheerz,
Babz

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines