March 29, 2024, 09:29:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SparkLE does not sparkle  (Read 12582 times)

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
SparkLE does not sparkle
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »
I just got my SparkLE, downloaded and installed 1.6.1 from the Arturia website. I then connected SparkLE to my PC and Windows installed the driver for it. Started the Spark program but the SparkLE does not light up. It sends MIDI since the pads are triggering sounds but i cannot use any of the other pads like Stop, Play, Record etc. They do no react.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro, does anyone else have this problem? I've tried three different USB ports on my PC, no difference. I've tried uninstalling 1.6.1 and installing 1.6 which is bundled with the SparkLE. No difference. When starting the Spark program it says "Connection Failed". Spark MIDI Control Center says "Not connected" but still i'm able to trigger sounds with the big pads. Help!

CC4

• Beta-testers
Re: SparkLE does not sparkle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »
Are you operating standalone or in a host?  Does the mode light to the right of the volume knob on the SparkLE controller indicate if you're in Spark mode or MIDI mode?

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:09:52 am »
I'm operating in stand alone i guess, i do not use any DAW at this stage, i'm just using the Spark program 1.6.1 version that you download and install from the Arturia website. When i plug the mini USB cable in the controller, it runs through all the pads and lights them up and after that the only thing lit up is the Spark mode light. No pad lights up when pressing although i trigger sounds with the big pads at the bottom of the controller but i guess that is just MIDI being sent from the controller since if i turn MIDI off in preferences i do not get any sounds. I switched to MIDI mode by pressing Filter/Slicer/Roller simultaneously and then the buttons light up when pressing them but nothing else. In MIDI mode it connects to the MIDI control center at least but when in Spark mode and running the Spark 1.6.1 program i get "Connection failed" every time i start the program up, eventhough the controller is connected and in Spark mode.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
Hi,
Is the software making sound?
Check the Audio MIDI Settings in Spark.
If there is no audio card connected to the software, it wont be able to connect to the controller.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:40:29 am »
Yes, the software is working perfectly. I can start, stop, record patterns, trigger dums etc by clicking on the pads in the software. I get sound so i guess there is a valid sound card connected to the software although i'm using the onboard sound chip in my PC.

I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, don't you think it's related to that? Windows installed the controller automatically when i plugged it into a free USB slot so i have no control of what drivers it is using. Since the software works but cannot connect to the controller, my guess is that the drivers are the problem. I found 1.6.1.1 for Spark (not SparkLE), it might be worth a shot installing this version instead.

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:53:07 am »
There is no driver for SparkLE.
You can install 1.6.1.1 but it might not solve the problem.
Is there any other MIDI application openend that could have opened Spark MIDI port?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:03:09 pm »
SparkLE shows up in Device Manager as a sound device and working properly. I have no other MIDI applications installed at the moment. I have rebooted the computer several times to close down eventual conflicts but no improvement.

On the Arturia website it says that SparkLE is compatible with Windows 8 but on the package it only list Windows up to 7, so is it compatible?

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »
We have tested it on Windows 8 and it works.
Are you using a USB hub, I guess not but I prefer to ask.
Did you try another USB port?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
The first time i plugged it in was in the built-in usb hub in the monitor. I then moved it to the front USB ports on my PC and finally tried the back USB ports of the PC. Nothing worked. When i installed the software the controller was unplugged, the first step in the manual was to install the software, it said nothing about the controller having to be plugged in. I'm thinking if it skips some parts of the installation if the controller is unplugged at installation time?

Just to make sure, the SparkLE should light up according to what is lit in the software right? Stop button should be lit etc?

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:37:52 pm »
The controller does not need to be plugged during installation.
When it connects with success, yes the LEDs are reflecting what is on the software.
Do you have access to another computer to test if it's working on it?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »
Yes, i will bring my laptop from work with me home today. It's Win 7 32-bit so i'll install the software on it and connect the controller to make sure that it works properly. I'll let you know in a couple of hours. Thanks for the support so far!

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:02:34 pm »
Ok. I installed Spark 1.6 from the bundled DVD, then connected the controller and it worked right off the bat on my laptop running Windows 7 32-bit meaning that there is nothing wrong with the controller. I disconnected it, uninstalled 1.6.1 and installed 1.6.1.1 on my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit computer. No improvement. SparkLE stand alone still cannot connect to the controller (Connection failed). So, i guess there is something with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit that interfers with the connection to the controller. As far as i know, i have no DAW or anything else that could possibly lock the MIDI ports that it requires. Any ideas?

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »
I am pretty sure we have tested this platform but I will try to find a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit tomorrow and double check this.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
I read this URL and tried both the PDF instructions and the Vistamidi stuff but that didn't fix it either.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprohardware/thread/8d185488-3dca-4ef3-883a-b060bf0ce1ff/

My version was the upgrade version Microsoft offered.. so, suppose i have a "funky driver" in my system as well? Since it worked on my laptop i copied the wdma_usb.inf and USBAUDIO.sys from it to my Windows 8 computer but that didn't help either.

everslick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »
Any luck finding a Windows 8 Pro 64-bit machine to test it on? I read that people have conflicts with their USB MIDI devices an Logitech webcams, have you heard anything about that? I have a Logitech HD Webcam C270 in my system. I tried to switch the driver to the basic USB driver for the webcam as suggested in some forums but that didn't help. I also disconnected the camera and uninstalled all the software and drivers for it and the SparkLE and then reinstalled the Spark 1.6.1 but that didn't help either.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines