March 28, 2024, 10:43:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute Stuck notes with Midi  (Read 4480 times)

minibrutedreamer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minibrute Stuck notes with Midi
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »
I have owned a minibrute for a couple months now. Recently started using the minibrute via midi note triggers with Logic Pro. I seem to be getting a lot of stuck notes, i.e. I play a section in Logic, everything plays fine, then I stop playing and there will be a note drone (release is on infinite). It doesn't stop if I tell logic to resume playing or try playing other notes...as soon as the note send stops it goes back to the drone note. I only can stop this note if I turn the minibrute off/on again.

Any idea what's happening here?
Anyone else have this issue?

rove

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Minibrute Stuck notes with Midi
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »
What midi interface are you using?  sometimes a poorly implemented midi driver can cause such things.

minibrutedreamer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:11:00 am »
I hadn't thought of that.

I am using an RME Babyface (usb AD/DA with midi in/out) that goes into my Roland MPu101, midi thru to a MIDI Solutions Quadra 4-Output MIDI Thru Box, which then goes to my Minibrute in. The midi cables are Hosa with lengths 1ft, 3ft and 3ft.

I've also noticed today that when the notes are stuck, if I touch or move the release slider on the ADSR filter or VCA section, it seems to reset the green LED light briefly, but then when I let got of the slider it returns to the stuck note with green LED on.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:51:49 am »
With the nature of the analog envelope generators, it can sound erratic if you move the sliders while a note is playing.  It won't behave exactly as you might expect.

so it might be just a quirk of the circuit, not a midi problem.
Could still be a midi issue though.

minibrutedreamer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:37 am »
I've used plenty of analog envelope generators on other synths, I've never had an issue like this one before. The issue doesn't happen regularly, and when it does, the release is stuck on infinite. What I noticed is when it's on infinite, even if the release is set to zero, and I start to move the slider it seems to have an effect on the release, but when I stop moving the slider, the release goes back to infinite.

It doesn't seem like a circuit quirk. It's acting much more like a functional defect. I will have to try to get in touch with Arturia, they must have a warranty on these? Only a couple months old...it would be great to figure this out for certain or get this thing fixed.

Disappointed by the build quality on these...it's practically new and has issues. My old synths from the '80s work without a hitch 30 years later.

Quinthius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:10:25 am »
Sounds to me like midi notes getting hung up as rove suggested.  I have gotten stuck with a few faulty midi interfaces... Not specifically with the minibrute, but on different synths, and have encountered the same kind of problem and in my experience it was some kind of cable or interface that was not keeping up with note on/off messages properly, resulting in infinitely sustained notes, as if you were to just hold down some random key, while continuing to try and play the rest of the keyboard.

Of course it could still be a problem with your minibrute, but do you have some other way to test and maybe narrow it down?

Can you bypass all your midi interface hookup, just plug minibrute into computer via USB, and use its midi interface directly, and see if you still run into the same problem?

minibrutedreamer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »
Thanks Quinthius,tThat all makes sense. I am going to give it a try today with direct midi from the computer and try a few different usb-midi setups I have and see if the reoccurs. Yes it does strike me as missing midi note on/off, it might not be the minibrute at all.

On a side note: has anyone noticed tuning issues with the minibrute? I find it changes tuning on power up more than even my 30 year olds synths...and it also doesn't always calibrate well over all the octave ranges.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:27 pm »
the tuning, are you talking about like the first 5-10mins after turning it on?

it's not going to be tuned during that period.  that's just how this particular analog circuit is.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines