March 19, 2024, 09:18:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transfer License From One Computer To Another  (Read 44836 times)

syrupcore

Re: Transfer License From One Computer To Another
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:27 am »
Bought the V-collection. Going to get a new MBP in the fall. I don't want to deal with a hardware dongle. If I'm understanding this thread and the KB info correctly, my options right now are:

• Wait until I get the new computer and use the soft licenser
  • Buy the dongle, authorize with the dongle on my current computer and then use the soft licenser when I get the new computer

Is the second option really an option? Or if I use a the hardware dongle at any point is it really hardware-dongle-for-life? A little confused here.

Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money but at least with the second scenario I could a) use my shiny new not-cheap purchase now and b) have a hardware backup in case of machine failure.

Thanks.

syrupcore

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 11:37:53 am »
As an aside, I totally respect Arturia's need to protect your work and keep dinner on the table but I have to be honest: had I realized the hardware dongle scenario before purchasing I would have chosen to do without (and would have been sad!).

I don't mean that as some angry 'You're so lucky to have my business!' Internet narcissism gone wild thing at all, just feedback from my slice of earth. Arturia makes lovely things and i'm happy to pay to use them—we're lucky to have you! But, as an example, I moved away from Protools a few years ago and the iLok was a primary factor. I make and record music outside of the comforts and stability of my studio a lot. Sure, nobody really likes dongles but they are a smashingly poor solution from a mobile customer's point of view. Things get lost, things break, laptops have limited usb ports... In making music, I'd just prefer to not deal with them, or at least the way most are currently implemented.

frankz00

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »
Yes, I just found out about this limitation today after registering.  With most of my products I am able to move licenses and this limitation in 2014 is absolutely ridiculous.  I'm just glad I paid a DEEPLY discounted price to get my software.  I've already felt that software crippled with dongles should cost much less than software that can be used concurrently and I show that with my dollars.  Software that is tied to a single computer should cost at most $50.  I'm sure many of you will disagree but that's the model I've used and I haven't hurt from it.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:49 am »
Hi

'Soft' means on you machine, minus a dongle not cloud activation. Since your post dc. Arturua have gone to a 'cloud' based activation system. It's better, but equally there was nothing wrong with the other system. It's just a simple matter of RTFM.

When we get new stuff we just want it to work immediately so we tend to fly at it like no ones business. This usually ends up with mistakes or entering the wrong details. Relax, sit down and read the instructions, as in read them. Don't just skip through a few words and think you have it sussed. Once it's read It then usually makes sense, and you'll have a better chance of this stuff working.

Avid use dongles for pro tools, media composer, symphony. Ilok is ubiquitous. Perhaps the steinberg elicenser isn't as well know as ilok, it's exactly the same principle.

Thanks, Stuart
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:40:26 am by stuart »
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »

I moved away from Protools a few years ago and the iLok was a primary factor. I make and record music outside of the comforts and stability of my studio a lot. Sure, nobody really likes dongles but they are a smashingly poor solution from a mobile customer's point of view. Things get lost, things break, laptops have limited usb ports... In making music, I'd just prefer to not deal with them, or at least the way most are currently implemented.

Interesting argument and I see where you're coming from. I've recorded a lot outside the comforts of a studio, lots of mobile and field locations, even in an actual field at one point. But I think you just have to engineer solutions to protect the dongles. Plug them into a hub, put the hub in a peli case and have a single trailing lead. Gaffa / fix them into your rig somehow. You wouldn't fly a guitar that wasn't in a road case so why would you just plug a flimsy plastic dongle directly to the USB port of a laptop?

A lot of gear isn't made to withstand the rigours of the road, but there are lots of ways to protect the stuff you have. :)

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

fizay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 01:49:00 am »
I'm happy to say that I've recently purchased the V Collection, thanks to Arturia's new and improved online licensing system.

Nice work Arturia. Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:17:48 am by fizay »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines