March 19, 2024, 11:16:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transfer License From One Computer To Another  (Read 44839 times)

auximinus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Transfer License From One Computer To Another
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »
All I want to do is remove the license for my Analog Factory on my PC and relicense it on my laptop. I have read numerous things on how to do this, but none of them makes any sense. What the hell is a dongle? Steinberg Key? Eh? Why can't I just delete the original license and create a new one? I don't understand any of this. I can't even figure out how to delete the old license, let alone get a new one.
Basically I have no clue what to do, starting with step 1. It seems like there is a whole lot of guff to go through just to use my product on a different computer. What am I missing here?

Dav1d

Re: Transfer License From One Computer To Another
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:18 am »
Once you license is downloaded you cannot erase it actually.
So, to transfer your license on a second computer, or simply allow its use on several computers (one at a time), you will need an USB-eLicenser dongle (the famous "Steinberg Key", sold separately), and to transfer the license onto by a simple drag-and-drop in the eLicenser Control Center.
This little video show the simple process:
==> http://www.arturia.com/elicenser (around 2:44)

USB-eLicenser dongles are also used by editors such as Steinberg or Korg. If you don't own any, you may either purchase one from our online store:
==> http://www.arturia.com/buy
...or from any decent music shop, especially Steinberg or Korg resellers.

otherwise, you can PM me.

fizay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:21 pm »
I recently purchased Arturia's MiniLab as an affordable way to test out Arturia's license system. From reading this forum, I have learned the following:

- Soft eLicenses, once downloaded, cannot be transferred - period.
- If your computer is stolen or dies, your only method to continue to use Arturia software synths is with a hardware dongle.
- The Jupiter synth (and at least one other synth in the V Collection) can ONLY be used with a dongle (!)
- If you DO use a dongle, your soft eLisense will no longer work. Instead, you are required to use the dongle on ANY computer you wish to use.

Please correct me if any of the above observations are incorrect.

Given the difficulties that many users are reporting here, I am sorry to say that I am seriously considering NOT purchasing the V Collection at all.

If Arturia supported an easier way to transfer the soft e-License -- one which guaranteed that I would not wind up stuck in the way other users are describing after having their computer stolen, I would not be so hesitant.

I am definitely someone who will need to be able to work on two computers (separately, at different times) without having to carry a dongle back and forth *every single time* between them.

Unfortunately, the dongle system in its current form turns me off from wanting to own the V-Collection at all.  I will get as much as I can from MiniLab, while I wait to see if Arturia improves its license system.

No matter how good these synths may be, if the license system is an obstruction to using them freely, I don't want to own them.

jaysoul

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:00 am »
Having similar problems.  :(
Have purchased Analog Factory and Analog Lab over last 2 years and been using them without a hardware USB dongle. The software eLicenser worked fine. Now after buying a new laptop I'm forced to not only go through the process of re-activating my license, but also BUYING a 25 euro dongle I don't want AND from now on using this hardware dongle on my new computer???

Dear Arturia - you make great software but this is not customer friendly at all. Dongles are annoying - they can get lost, you can forget them, they take up USB ports and they cost us extra money. Isn't there a better way to arrange all this?

Cheers
J

ps - Very glad I'm not in the middle of a job right now where I would urgently need my Arturia instruments to work, otherwise I'd be really screwed!

perihelion74

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
I got the Spark LE yesterday. Immediatly had problems with licenses and today had to buy me a e-licenser. This really sucks. Luckily there are other companies like Melda that actually trusts their users.

/M

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »
Transferral of License is a fairy simple procedure. It does however require an internet connection and the latest version of e-licenser. A dongle isn't a requirement to use the software, they can be used as a soft license, for example installed on that specific machine.

Dongles are handy if your machine is stolen and very handy as it makes it easy to re-installed your system without having to ask for new authentication codes.

Transferring can be done by literally dragging the licence between the two dongles, or if you want to drag from a soft to a dongle license. Ensure you have the newest e-licenser software installed, run maintenance tasks before you start, then drag your licence from the right hand box to the dongle or soft licenser, in the left hand box. It will then ask you to confirm, telling you that you need an internet connection.

Bear in mind that e-licenser has nothing to do with Arturia, it's a Steinberg licensing product similar to ilok. Lots of companies use both ways to authenticate licenses for software.

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

mmillerm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:25:00 am »
I would also like to see another system. My wife bought me a new laptop. I had no problem installing Ableton. But to install and play Spark, I have to buy a dongle and eat up precious USB space! That's really too bad, and it hardly seems like the best solution.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:10:55 am »
If you want spark on 2 systems, you can use the dongle on one and the soft license on the other. But you just have to decide which machine is going to use the dongle.

Lots of manufacturers use dongles, (pro tools, avid, reason, nuendo and cubase ) it's a very easy solution.

I run spark on my laptop without a dongle.

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

mmillerm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:23:52 am »
So although I initially installed on the PC, if I buy a dongle, I can make it so that Spark plays on the Mac without the dongle, while the dongle is needed for the PC? That would be alright, I suppose.

mmillerm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »
Stuart, it seems you might have been wrong. All I had to do to authorize Spark 2 on the new Mac was to use the authorization code that I have from the initial purchase. I didn't have to transfer the license from the PC to the Mac using an e-licenser. Regrettably, I learned that after purchasing and opening a key on the basis of the advice here. So other people: make sure you try the code you have first, or just make sure you have the right info before spending more money.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
You have to authorise the software regardless, sorry perhaps we were talking at cross purposes.

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

dc

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 03:00:40 pm »
So I bought the V Collection and Spark 2.
I've installed them on my iMac by using the soft method(not the DAMN dongle).

Got a new macbook pro.

Here is my thinking process while discovering what would happen:

"oh, this must be like the new ilok used by UVI, Soundtoys and many other companies or like Waves or Native Instruments system where you can have your license on up to 3 computers or at least transfer it to the new machine. easy-pie! Let's see..."

"hummm... I can't remove the soft license from the 1st computer..weiiiird...It is soft right???"

"oh! but I can transfer it!! yeah!"

"oh... I can transfer it only on a elicenser dongle... That's a bummer..."

"and then I'll have to use the dongle on both machines to make it work??? I don't have no more ports available on the imac..."

"I don't want to lose a freakin' USB port for THAT on my new shiny macbook pro. I only have 2 of them for cryin' out loud."

"And if I lose the dongle?"

"And if the dongle breaks?" (This is a stick that is out of a machine made to be portable so could happen very easily)

"Buying the softs again is a no-no... so well... How much does this Evil thingie cost?? let's see..."

"$40????" (here in Japan mind you)

"WTF????????????"

So basically, you offer a soft licensing system that offers absolutely no "Cloud" advantage??
WHAT IS THE POINT?????

- Waves
damn easy to transfer! Move license to Cloud, Install license to new machine from Cloud.

- Native Instruments
just install the softs again. no brainer.

- UVI (ilok soft licensing)
Just install the softs again. no brainer. (up to 3)

-Soundtoys(ilok soft licensing)
remove it from the 1st and install it on the new one.Done.

And It's been like that for most of the companies.

Arturia, if you don't change this, I'll be sure to never buy your products ever again
and be sure to make every people asking about your products on the blogosphere, the twittersphere, the redditsphere, the gearslutzsphere that this is what is awaiting them.

STOP SMOKING SXXT.

RESPECT YOUR CLIENTS.

Stu1201

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:46 am »
It was easy!
I have just done this as my studio Mac Pro 2008 is not on the internet. Having read this forum a bit I bought a eLicenser dongle from Amazon. I'd previously downloaded The Modular V (awesome synth) onto my MacBook Pro.
Dragged the eLicense on to the dongle. Installed the Modular V on the studio Mac as any install. Plugged in the dongle and the Modular V just worked.

giddy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 06:10:28 am »
So I was able to transfer my license across to a new $50 Steinberg dongle  >:(. Now, my new computer needs the V software, right.
Can someone point me towards where I download the V software? (Do i download the demo?) Thanks team!

giddy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:32 am »
Hey all, so the Arturia team did get back to me overnight, once i transferred the licenses over to the dongle, i had to download the V-bundle software to my new computer from the Update section. thanks

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines