March 19, 2024, 10:43:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: software integration for origin  (Read 7950 times)

Feng

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
software integration for origin
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:05 pm »
Is the idea of developing a vst control for Origin still alive?
Is there any development on Origin?
I never had such a disappointing experience with an hardware synth!
Shame on people who have sold a 2500 euros synth and then removed all (or almost all) the development on it!

Feng

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
Re: software integration for origin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:38 pm »
Let's be fair to Arturia team. Origin has developed quite a lot since its first release and it's not very far in past when we got the current OS. And they have given us presets too.

What is quite obvious is that Origin isn't developing very fast, but I assume that there are still plans to go further. I too would very much like to see better computer integration, in fact it has been my number one wish for a long time. There are so many things which would be great: better librarian functions, iPad controlling for mini and JP8 templates (they have made now iMini which I btw have) and of course DAW integration etc.

P.S. If you think that Origin development is zero (or close) I'd say that it isn't very rare nowadays, cause companies are putting their power for new products. My favorite example is Roland V-piano: how much this great innovative product has developed after its birth? Very close zero. Sad but very typical story nowadays...

Feng

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:09 pm »
I appreciate your answer, but I think Arturia deserves my regrets and much more.  To demonstrate this follow this link:
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=3450.msg12830#msg12830
This is a 2010 post where Arturia staff is talking about Origin 1.5 version coming soon.
In february 2013 the firmware is 1.4.1 has been released.
Version 2 will be the one to add vst integration. When we can expect that? 2050? I will be still alive?  In the same time Access Virus firmware has been constantly updated, each time with new features, better integration, etc.....
Please note that every 500 $ hardware synth today is provided with VST integration. So I am not requesting some really exoteric feature.

Feng

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:24 pm »
I agree 100% with you about the computer integration (I don't use word vst cause I am on mac system  ;) ). I too have said it thousand times on this forum: much lower level products has better editor/librarian functions. From my hardware Microkorg Xl is just one good example of this. Funny thing is that quite many users here think differently here: they don't need better computer integration, they would like to have more modules etc. instead. Some of them does not even use computer with Origin. All I am saying here is that most of us have quite different preferences what to have next.

Anyway I have taken this way of thinking with Origin: I am very happy with its present nature but of course any new improvement would be great.

And btw I also have Virus Ti2 polar which is great but still FAR from perfect too. In fact I have had more problems with it than with Origin. For example, I have never managed to make its "total integration" work without problems in Logic. I use it via old fashioned midi. So we aren't having perfect things in our not perfect world. Still I like them both, Origin and Virus. I think those two have at least one thing in common: they are very complex machines. This complexity gives us great sound and potential, but also possibility to have some bugs and problems.

Superwaldi

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:19:24 am »
The idea of VST Integration MUST be allive as far as it was promised from the beginning in the milestones. If the day will come Arturia gives up the support for the Origin, I certainly will check what can be done to return the unit. Their marketing promises don't cover the reality at all.

I must agree that there is development in the Origin, but from the beginning there were huge delays. And promises of 2010 and earlier are still on the waiting list.

With that knowledge I certainly wouldn't buy the Origin again. It is a great piece of gear, but Arturias policy about the Origin is not acceptable for me.

Their promises were made for VST-Integration AND new modules. I don't accept why users should decide between both points.

Arturia has to put new products on the market to get fresh money, but why the must draw all resources from the Origin project?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:24:49 am by Superwaldi »

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:47:02 pm »
I has become clear that Arturia made one mistake: they gave kind of "promises" or at least some people treat these ideas like that. I understand the frustration if you bought your unit with idea of soon having CS-80 or VST. I am not one of them, I did not purchase my (first) Origin based to these "promises". Let's still remember that Arturia has given us LOT of stuff which was not planned (or promised) in the early days. So plans has tendency to change...

Still I don't disagree about the slowliness of the improvent. I'd guess that Origin wasn't the big hit what it was supposed to be. If it does not sell enough, there's no reason to put too much resourses to its dvelopment. Simple business fact. Sad thing of course to us but I think that's the reason. But to put things in right perspective: hardware synths does not have that much updates in general. Many of them do not develope at all. So let's be at least little happy that Origin has developed like it is. And hope it will continue in future.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
This discussion is making me curious about, what would the main advantages to Origin VST (or other) integration be? Beyond "would be nice to have"? Is the idea that you could use individual Origin modules, or collections of modules, as VST effects/instruments?

I guess I am lucky in that because of various things happening in my life, I didn't take a closer look at Origin until about a year ago, so i didnt even know about features announced in 2010. Once I realized what it really was, a big light went on and I immediately sold my vintage Prophet to afford it.

Origin was their first hardware synth! Not just that, a hugely ambitious, visionary, pull-out-all-the-stops kind of thing... This takes balls and passion. Maybe in the excitement, they got carried away. Creation is messy. I felt the same way about the Alesis Andromeda... A team with huge balls, almost a miracle that this beauty has seen the light of day in the first place...

goldenanalog

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:22 am »
I don't see it as being something that I'd want Arturia to engage in after seeing all the grief that it has caused Access...

For the record: Arturia has become my all-time favorite synth company. I super appreciate the way that they have supported the Origin even though it has not sold as well as they would have liked; partially I suppose because of all the bashing they've suffered on the big I...

I wouldn't be at all surprised that they have enormous (well deserved) pride in their world class creation; and will continue to support it near pro bono as long as they possibly can.

The Origin with no further enhancements is brilliant; positively brilliant.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:00:44 am »
@hermitnerd:

Main advantage of vst or computer integration in general? I must say I have not 100% clear picture that all of us talking about better integration have same target.

There are two environments to separate here, I suppose:

1. Integration with computer with some standalone software. Origin Connection is something like that. IMO there is lot of room for improvement here. For example, I don't really like the way checking some sounds / sound banks is done with Origin. You have to allways find a empty memory location for a multi > programs > sequences. And then erasing all those parts of it, if you choose not to have it. All this for just listening to one multipreset! In my Microkorg editor if you just press a preset in screen it will immediately transport it to synth for checking it out. And it will replace a current multi in synths memory but does not do any permanent change if you don't save it. I think this is something which should really make difference with Origin too to make things easier. Other problem for good workflow is that when you move a program preset to another memory location it will now disturbe all the multis which use this preset. Should be made differently.

2. Integration inside some DAW. This is what people mean with vst integration, I suppose. I might call it plugin (AU, vst etc.) integration. Main idea is that when you open a project in Logic/Cubase/Live etc. you will have an Origin plugin which will automatically have all special settings (in this case it would be a project specific multi?). The big advantage here is that Origin itself does not need to have this "multi" in its own memory. All the relevant data is saved in DAW project. Virus plugin (Virus Control) works like that. I would really welcome this improvement.

Then there is the question about editor: in principal it's a program to edit anything (programs, multis, system settings) in computer screen with mouse. I know that many users here prefer no-mouse-editing with knobs but personally I wouldn't mind have BOTH. Some things like JP8 template (or perhaps CS-80 in future ;) ) would be great to have in 22 inch screen and Arturia allready has designed graphical GUIs for them in V-series. Editor could be in both environments (standalone or in plugin). BTW for me this editor isn't any more priority number one, cause I have Origin keyboard. In KB there's a great editing workflow, cause you have your module just in the right place. Earlier when I had desktop placed not near its controller keyboard this was much bigger issue. Still some things like messing with templates or re-organizing modules might be fun in bigger screen and with mouse...

To sum it, it is about workflow: with Origin itself it's great but when connected to computer there's lot of room for improvement.

Well this was my explanation of integration. Please correct if I am missing something...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:17:48 pm by JacksonP »

Cord

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:49 pm »
You must ask yourself why someone would buy a hardware instrument when you - at the end - want to control it via software? Especially in this case where there is plenty of VSTi floating around with Arturia synthesizers.

I rather have them spend a little time with the Origin and make it perfect. Doesn't mean they have to add crazy stuff though. Just iron out the bugs and change here and there according to user input.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:02:04 pm »
First, asking for better control of presets isn't very strange for a hardware synth. Secondly, if Origin is targeted to people who use it in computer based studio it's not strange thing to ask plugin-type integration. Thirdly, there are users like me who use Origin both at studio and on stage. We would like to have instrument which fits great in both situations. Fourthly, not everybody have their Origin in perfect ergonomical place - they may have it in rack few meters away or so. They would like to have access to it with mouse...

IMO these computer-integration improvements aren't stupid for a hardware synth! Quite contrary.

kadolodai

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The Caramel Incident
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:58 am »
You must ask yourself why someone would buy a hardware instrument when you - at the end - want to control it via software? Especially in this case where there is plenty of VSTi floating around with Arturia synthesizers.

for me
hardware for stage performance
software for organise my presets... rename, move presets...
a software editor could aid to use Origin, for exemple, displaying sequences occurences used in presets, presets occurences  used in multi and in the same time, ear presets and multis. for rename ... a keyboard vs a phone keypad... just for simplify the life of users !!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines