March 28, 2024, 11:57:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: USB audio interface with S/PDIF input?  (Read 17395 times)

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
USB audio interface with S/PDIF input?
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:47 pm »
Can someone recommend any interfaces that have this feature?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:19:28 pm by hermitnerd »

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
Re: USB audio interface with S/PDIF optical input?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:01:25 pm »
Hmmm, I think you need to be little more spesific what do you want:
What do you wanna do with it? How many ins/outs do you need? And how about mic vs line-ins?
Price range: how much it can cost? Are you using it on mac/pc?

And finaly, why optical spdif? Origin has coaxial spdif out and isn't this the most typical in soundcards too, am I right?

Personally I have three Motus (they work fine in mac which is their first choise OS). Motu Ultralite Mk3 hybrid (both FW and USB) have spdif ins/outs and they work well I suppose (I don't use them very much). IMO ultralite is a great value for its price and compact size. It has great internal routing and FX too. One is at my home for playing/mixing/recording. Other one is working standalone as my personal digital mixer on stage.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:39:14 pm by JacksonP »

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »
i'm using a motu 828mk2 usb. i used to connect origin to the coaxial but the signal was too weak (as always with digital connexion) so i switched it back to the normal input (jack 6"35)

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »

I just bought Roland Quad Capture and find it excellent for my needs. Amazon had (still has ?) a special deal running... In a nutshell, very fast and stable asio driver, 2 high quality preamps with automatic gain control, midi in/out, spdif...

P.S.

I've been using it to fool around with u-he diva synth, and all I can say is wow...
Is it okay to love more than one...?  ;)

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
Re: USB audio interface with S/PDIF coaxial input?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:58 pm »
And finaly, why optical spdif? Origin has coaxial spdif out and isn't this the most typical in soundcards too, am I right?

oops sorry! coaxial! I meant coaxial!

i'm just looking for a good quality compact audio interface that will send the Origin's S/PDIF digital audio signal to USB. ideally it would be powered via USB and have a headphone monitor feature

I've been using it to fool around with u-he diva synth, and all I can say is wow...
Is it okay to love more than one...?  ;)

;D  she does sound awesome. but then you're back to mouse-centric programming/tweaking, unless there is a good controller solution for it...which is another good topic...has anyone tried using the Origin as MIDI CC controller for soft-synths??

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »

The Komplete Audio 6 looks very good.

My next question is (for Philippe or anyone else who might know) - if you connect the Origin's SPDIF out to a USB audio interface's SPDIF in, and connect your computer to the audio interface via USB, on the surface it would seem like now you have a direct digital connection from the synth to the computer/DAW and the sound quality should be better than if you use the Origin's line outputs. Is this really the case? Or are there significant conversions necessary on this path?

tertior

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
You are ok ;  a signal encoded audio S / PDIF suffers no attenuation or distortion and can be exchanged without any loss.
cable coaxial asymetric  75 ohms.
Sometime I put my Origin in MA 15D with  S /PDIF connexion and it's clean...
Don't forget Einstein who's say; theory is when you know how everything works and it does not works, the practice is that it works and we do not know why.

Bugs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: USB audio interface with S/PDIF input?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:20 am »
It is very fast and stable asio driver.

samsung galaxy s4 mini schutzhülle
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:34:53 am by Bugs »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines