March 19, 2024, 08:42:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniBrute vs Mg Sub Phatty?  (Read 14264 times)

UncleToad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MiniBrute vs Mg Sub Phatty?
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone has done a feature comparison of the Minibrute against the newly announced Mg Sub Phatty?

Although the SubPhatty seems to have 2 VCOs, its keyboard is quite a bit shorter than the Minibrute. And it is almost double the price!
The only thing I like about it so far is that it has some preset memories -    A sorely missed feature of the Minibrute.

Has anyone compared them in more detail?
regards

Paul

Wormhelmet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MiniBrute vs Mg Sub Phatty?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »
While the sub phatty looks like an awesome beast, I think the next comparisons are really Doepfer's Dark Energy or even the MS20 getting released. More in the price range of the minibrute. Even the Pittsburgh Modulars Cell System 1 is directly priced against minibrute. Of course the Dark Energy and Cell System 1 don't have keys, but that really speaks a lot for the minibrute to come with a great set of keys with AT. We live in great times now for synthesis and real analogs popping up all over that are affordable. I don't know if Arturia has set a precedent here or not, but I can't wait to see what competition rolls out besides these. I already want an MS20 to sit alongside the minibrute.

zedius

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:03:33 pm »
Keyboards are the same 2 octave. Perhaps in photos the Sub Phatty appeared to be shorter due to the mod and pitch wheels to the left?

I'm sure the Sub Phatty is loads of fun and sounds beautiful, but it seems a pretty generic Mg product with some bells and whistles pasted on top to give an appearance of "new product". The Minibrute will have different capabilities given its single oscillator, and I'd be willing to bet the oscillator is not as "nice" whatever that means, but the Minibrute is a new instrument with new ideas whereas the Mg is a rehash from what I can see.

For $450.00 the Minibrute is a no brainer; just pick it up! The Mg I would have to play first and decide if it really hit the spot for $1000.

That being said, for $600 the new MS-20 is a no brainer as well and thus it is the real Minibrute competition.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »
Hi guys

I was just wondering if anyone has done a feature comparison of the Minibrute against the newly announced Mg Sub Phatty?

Although the SubPhatty seems to have 2 VCOs, its keyboard is quite a bit shorter than the Minibrute. And it is almost double the price!
The only thing I like about it so far is that it has some preset memories -    A sorely missed feature of the Minibrute.

Has anyone compared them in more detail?
regards

Paul

ummm...the keyboard is exactly the same...  :)

While I do believe the sub phatty is in some ways a response to the Minibrute and the general trend in recent analog monosynths, I think they're both still quite distinct.

It's not really valid to try to directly compare things like just price and all.  Yes, the Mg is twice the price, but for that you get 2 really stable oscillators and a sub (though not as many waveform shaping options as the brute), the classic Mg filter, and a small part absolutely just for the Mg name and reputation in quality.  The preset/CC control/software control of all the synth parameters also makes the price shoot up; for every single knob on it (and even more controls additionally) you need an analog-digital interface to control the analog circuits with the digital preset bank/MIDI/USB control circuits.

So I dunno about trying to contrast them.  But what about how they'd do in combination?   ;D

synthcat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »
Better would be to compare the MiniBrute to the MS20 mini...At first I was pretty excited about the ms20, but I'm not exactly sure it has a definite leg up on the 'Brute: it may have 2 oscs and a patchbay, but for me the deal breaker is the smaller keys. The miniBrute packs a LOT for the price, and having full sized keys is very very important. I used to own a CZ101 (well, still do, but I don't use it since a cap is busted and produces a nasty hum) and 2 things kept me from liking it: annoying menus to scroll thru and small keys.

UncleToad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:12 am »
I just noticed that the sub phatty appears to have no arpeggiator section. That's a definite advantage of the Minibrute.
The  new Korg MS20 looks nice but re-wiring the patch connections during a gig sounds like a serious no-no to me.
Great for experimentation, but a pain in the arse for performance situations.

Paul

washburn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:29:42 am »
From what I hear from initial reports the MS-20 mini keys are nothing like the Casio or Microkorg, they are just slightly smaller than full size keys.

dalasv

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:39 am »
I'm sure the Sub Phatty is loads of fun and sounds beautiful, but it seems a pretty generic Mg product with some bells and whistles pasted on top to give an appearance of "new product".

Watch the demo that Amos did for Sonic State. While it certainly does deliver "the Mg sound," there are some pretty interesting technical improvements in terms of osc beat frequencies and phase relationships that allow it to deliver some tones that are unavailable on a lot of analog synths. Not really "bells and whistles" kind of things, but stuff that could improve the sound of your music, which is the main goal, right?

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:02:52 am »
i dream of channeling my minibrute through a sub phatty aux in and vice versa

flux302

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
I can tell you i was at namm (check my website Fluxwithit.com for more info on my NAMM coverage)
the Mg sub phatty sounded fantastic I really enjoyed it. it was the winner of the show for me. the Mini Ms 20 i was excited about till i laid hands on it. the build quality was so terrible. i mean REALLY cheap plastic knobs just felt like trash unfortunately. I still kinda want one but ... not at the asking price (which i know sounds nuts to say).
the stylophone s2 was also really impressive. the bass in that thing was pretty impressive. i have a bunch of videos up of that stuff fyi.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines