March 28, 2024, 01:48:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin inspiration and ease of use  (Read 2956 times)

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origin inspiration and ease of use
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »
It's been years since I've posted in the forums here. Glad to see that they're still alive and kickin'!

I've been oggling over Origin since years before it's actual release. I've gone through a slew of modular gear and misc other hardware stuffs. Well, it's time to sell off some stuff and start over again. Long story, I won't bore you with it.

My question is, how intuitive and fun to use (I understand this is opinion related) is Origin? I was thinking of rebuilding a modular synth that I used to have, but would really love to save the space in my small ass house! Does Origin really feel like a modular in use...as far as patching is concerned (ease in changing modules, cables, that sort of instant gratification thing, etc)? I want to be inspired and have fun again with synths, and while some softsynths sound absolutely amazing, I don't feel that connection I've felt with other gear.

Many thanks!

synthguy99

Re: Origin inspiration and ease of use
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:46 pm »
I would say that it's nicely in-between softsynths and hardware.  A hardware modular will always beat a "stunt double" synth for immediate gratification, because you can start plugging in cables and twisting knobs.  So in that sense, the Origin is in the same arena as a softsynth since you're dealing with a screen for creating patches.  You have to think as you go what kinds of modules you want, how they're going to plug into each other, etc.

But at the same time, it has a dedicated control surface with knobs going to pre-defined functions as on a modular, while still giving you eight assignable knobs for extra tweakability as you play, without the hassle of setting up a hardware controller with your software.  In that sense, it's the best of both worlds.

Having the Origin hasn't dampened my desire for a hardware synth completely, but it goes far enough that it doesn't bug me anymore.  ;)
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:55 pm »
Hi LeRoi,

I'm obviously a humongoid Origin fanboy and so here comes the gushing.  I used to have a modular, along with all kinds of other digitals and analogs and can honestly say that the Origin has brought back the true joy of (modular) synthesis in a way I never expected...got mine last June, and can't keep my hands off of it. Often now ideas for sounds will pop into my head and when I sit down for a session, the result is either a cooler version of that idea or something altogether different and much more interesting, because of the many happy accidents that go along with working with a true modular.

The workflow and ergonomics of creating patches is so well thought out - you can tell that the designers spent a lot of time on that aspect. Many intelligent decisions were made, on the workflow, the features as well as the limitations. The user experience when programming and tweaking feels intuitive to me and it's very liberating to not be tethered to a computer mouse and monitor.

Patches that are quite complex can be thrown together in a short amount of time, module connections can easily be added, replaced/changed or removed, from either end, and the resulting sounds change in real-time i.e. you can change  connections in a live setting. Admittedly, compared to a hardware modular where you just yank the patch chord and plug it in somewhere else, with Origin there are a couple more wrist movements involved. There is AFAIK no limit on how many connections a CV source or input can have, for example I've had patches where the same LFO output modulates 10 different CV inputs in various modules, and others where there are 6 different CV signals coming into the same Osc FM input. There is an attenuator knob for every connection, which is something many hardware modulars don't have. On top of that each attenuator knob has three different modes (unipolar, bipolar, inverse unipolar). Osc/LFO waveforms and filter types can be changed on the fly with dedicated knobs. Scrolling to the various Osc/Filter/LFO/Env modules can be done via the white Select knobs (one of the good design decisions), no matter what screen or mode you're in.

It's a real machine, it doesn't feel virtual or cumbersome/awkward. There is the feeling of using a well-designed machine, of engaging directly with it and after you know your way around, getting into a zen state and your hands moving very naturally between the knobs and buttons.

Ok I will stop myself here before I start into sweeping and grandiose statements  :-X  Hope this helps!
Paul

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. @hermitnerd- These are exactly the things I was wondering about. I've bought and sold so many things over the years, I really don't want to waste the time of getting this and it not having the fun factor. That's the only reason I am thinking going back to a modular set up.  Missing that "I'm just going to plug whatever wherever and see what happens/whats that over there" thing. I am not concerned with a few extra button clicks to change module set ups, as long as it's a quick process. I'm starting to ramble now, as I need sleep. I may have a few more specific questions tho. Many thanks guys.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines