March 19, 2024, 05:52:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: click heard at start of some trigs  (Read 16730 times)

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: click heard at start of some trigs
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:16 am »
I don't have a photo handy, but you can hear it in the first minute of this clip:

https://soundcloud.com/christopherwinkels/minibrute-01

It occurs at 0:07, 0:08, 0:12, 0:22

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
Here's a photo showing the "lean" to the left of the mod wheel.  It's definitely more noticeable in person than in pics. 

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »
Tilted wheels should not be a problem except if they scratch on the iron. During assembly, it's sometime pretty hard to get them perfectly aligned.

For theses clicks, if I have a good understanding, it happens when you are using either modwheel either aftertouch.
Would that be possible that you have an other device or the daw itself sending CCs to the MB? If controlled by two sources (build in and an other external) modwheel value will jump for one to the other.
Does it happens when modwheel is at minimum value and you don't touch it?
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »
For theses clicks, if I have a good understanding, it happens when you are using either modwheel either aftertouch.

That's correct.

Would that be possible that you have an other device or the daw itself sending CCs to the MB?

No, all sounds are manually played; no CC info is coming out of the DAW.  If the aftertouch is having an effect it's because I'm manually pressing the keys harder with my right hand.  Similarly the mod wheel is being manipulated with my left hand.  The DAW solely records the audio and in no way provides any MIDI or CV signals. 

Also worth pointing out:  I'm hearing the pops and clicks both over headphones when playing "live" and later when playing the recorded audio back through the DAW, and the headphones are not monitoring the DAW's input, they're plugged directly into the Minibrute.  In other words there's no chance that the DAW itself is introducing the clicks into the audio.

Does it happens when modwheel is at minimum value and you don't touch it?

Not that I've experienced.

I will try tonight to record some more audio with longer "drone" type sounds and see if I can replicate the problem again.

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
Okay, that took less time than I thought.

This was a very simple patch (see photo of the settings below).  It's basically a square wave, with one note held down, lowpass filter about 20% of the way open, no resonance, no LFO action, and absolutely no modulation other than me using the mod wheel to adjust filter cutoff frequency.

https://soundcloud.com/christopherwinkels/minibrute-clicks

You can hear the clicks in the sound quite easily.  They seem much more common when on the downward sweep of the mod wheel, which suggests to me there's something electro-mechanically wrong with it.

Here's the patch itself:

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:24 pm »
On you sound clip it looks like their is a point, on the modwheel(near zero?), where value jumps to max for a short time. It does happend each time when moving fast.
Can you find it if you increase modwheel slowly? can you find a specific point, or is it random positions?

Can you log Midi outputs using MidiOX on PC, or MidiMonitor on MAC, and send to me as a text file? That would be very useful. Let me know if you don't know how to do that.

I see 2 solutions, either your modwheel calibration is bad (can be fix by software), either you modwheel is faulty, it needs to be changes.

Thanks
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:43 am »
On you sound clip it looks like their is a point, on the modwheel(near zero?), where value jumps to max for a short time. It does happend each time when moving fast.
Can you find it if you increase modwheel slowly? can you find a specific point, or is it random positions?

Can you log Midi outputs using MidiOX on PC, or MidiMonitor on MAC, and send to me as a text file? That would be very useful. Let me know if you don't know how to do that.

I see 2 solutions, either your modwheel calibration is bad (can be fix by software), either you modwheel is faulty, it needs to be changes.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a MIDI interface or any way of getting MIDI data into the computer.  Like I said, the DAW is audio only.

Here's me moving the mod wheel slowly:

http://youtu.be/pc2dzK-ursk

It does appear to at some point jump to maximum value (i.e. opening the filter to 100%) so it is reasonable to assume it's a faulty mod wheel.  Is this something the user can easily swap out, or does it need to be returned to the point of sale?

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:31 pm »
Silly you, you have a USB-MIDI interface, the Minibrute is one!   :D

you just have to select the right device in the DAW.  Or, in the programs suggested by Bruno.  They're standalone programs.
The minibrute, when connected via USB, will show up as two devices: one is in and out from the machine itself, the other is the in and out coming from the midi ports in the back.

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:59 pm »
hi Christopher Winkels,
hard to be sure from your video, but it could be a calibration issue.
please find enclosed a zip file with needed software on detailed process in PDF.
It's very easy and fast but you will need to run it on PC.

if it still doesn't work properly, you can try it again, but instead of setting the wheel at min and max, slighty move the wheel, let say at 1% and 99% of the range.

Keep in mmind that this process calibrate both wheel, so don't forget to move both at the same time, as requested in the software

Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:49 pm »
Sorry, I'm on a Mac and that software says it needs a PC running XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

Do you have another option?

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:24 am »
Sorry, I'm on a Mac and that software says it needs a PC running XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

Do you have another option?

"Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?"

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:59 am »
I only have a pc version it supposed to be used at the factory. Don't you know someone with a pc? you'll need it only for 5 minutes
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 02:16:39 am »
I'm pleased to report that despite taking a couple of weeks to get my hand on a suitably equipped Windows machine the software fix has worked.

Thanks, Bruno!

stevism

• Beta-testers
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 02:48:21 am »
i don't need this software at the moment, but i would really love if there were plans for a mac version as well, as i am almost always working with mac os

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:24 am »
i don't need this software at the moment, but i would really love if there were plans for a mac version as well, as i am almost always working with mac os

Although I was able to fix my issue I do agree with you.  The idea that a software patch for a musical instrument should be Windows only is a bit shortsighted.  I know these things cost money to program, but synth players are probably overrepresented in the Mac owning population. 

Anyway, it was easy to do once I got ahold of a Windows machine.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines