March 19, 2024, 03:28:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI export in Ableton Live  (Read 3548 times)

kuroneko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI export in Ableton Live
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:24:55 am »
Hi,

I am a new Spark user and I use it in Ableton Live. I made a beat I like in Spark. Then I want to export it as MIDI in Ableton Live. But if I use the drag & drop option, all my sounds are quantized. Then I read somewhere that I have to directly record in in Ableton Live to record all the shuffle etc. But I tried 1 hour to record MIDI and it doesn't work. Can somebody please tell me which settings I have to do to record MIDI in Ableton Live from Spark?

Thanks,
Kitaro

Seb

• Tech-Support
Re: MIDI export in Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:31 am »
In Spark preferences panel : activate "send midi from sequencer"

If you're a mac user, use Spark as a VST instead of AU. It also works in AU apparently, but there are additional steps required for it to work. In VST, it's more straightforward.
create a midi track in Live
MIDI from : your Spark track. In the box below, don't select pre or post FX but "Spark"

Note that this is all explained in the manual.

TIP to improve timing of recording of your sequence : Arm your MIDI track but don't record yet. start the Ableton Live sequencer first, Spark sequencer should start as well. Don't record yet. Wait for your Spark sequence to loop at least once, and start recording on your MIDI track.

Do this because Spark has a small and almost constant plugin delay, so your recording will be slightly delayed *except* for the very first note that is played : this first note will be perfectly on time, while all the others are delayed.

So if you let the Spark sequence loop once, you won't have this issue with the first note, all the recorded notes will be more accurately placed.

Then all you have to do is select all notes, and place the first note exactly on the grid. Others won't be perfectly lined up, but it will be better than if you don't do that.

Another technique, if you're using Live8 would be to create a 1 bar sequence of 16th notes on one note, at full velocity in Spark, with the amount of Shuffle you want to use. Then place this in your "Groove pool" in Live.

Then Drag&Drop your patterns, and apply this groove. You will have to repeat this procedure anytime you want to change shuffle amount, but that is also true with the first method.

kuroneko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MIDI export in Ableton Live
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:54 pm »
Ok thanks that worked!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines